Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sky broadband support lol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sky broadband support lol
    Posted: 15 August 2011 at 8:33pm
Ok, so came home tonight to find no network/broadband.
Did the usual things like reset router etc but it just sat there flickering lights at me randomly so I rang Sky support.

After repeating a few tests that I'd already done (I've finally managed to just go with this bit after years of 'But I've already told you I'd done that!!' protests) we came to inspecting the PSU

Guy on phone: Ok, so can you plug the PSU into another socket?
Me: Ok, but I have lots of other stuff all working, into the same socket
Guy: Yes, if you can plug into another socket.
Me: *Goes away to get extension muttering*..... returns... plugs in extension   "Ok, still the same thing"
Guy: Ok, so do you have another box that looks like the power supply in the house?
Me: Well... uh, yes... but.... (me being a man of MANY PSU's of varying voltages, currents, etc)
Guy: Ok, if you could get that and plug it into the router
Me (incredulous): Ok, so I should just go and find a power supply that looks like it might fit and plug it in?
Guy: Yes, thats right
Me (being sarcastic and ironic now): Ok, so to confirm, I should go and take a power supply of unknown voltage, AC/DC and polarity and plug it into my router in the hope this might 'fix' it?
Guy (cheerily): Yes, thats right
Me: Do you think it might be worth me unplugging all of my wired devices before I do this, on the offchance this unknown PSU might break the router significantly enough to put voltage down the ethernet cable?
Guy: No, no, you'll be fine.
Me: Do you know which pin is hot on the router?
Guy: I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are saying
Me: *Explains about electricity and poles*......

Anyway, I hung up, new PSU is on the way to test, turns out it was the PSU, but only after I found the correct one for the router and used that rather than a 'random' one.

I am still tempted to find my 24V 6A one and pop it on it and see what happens....

I was simply quite shocked by the trouble shooting methods
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
TechnoChef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechnoChef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2011 at 9:34pm
"have you turned it off and back on again?"
Have to deal with virgin media and bt quite often when sites lose broadband/phones. I'm no expert but it amazes me what they come out with, not had anything as bad as that though, that guy needs sacking!
I think I'm in love with your mum.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2011 at 10:11pm
I just love the BT helpline that says, "If you're having problems with your internet connection please check our website for common connection problems".

Anyway, I've got a very small 110V transformer in a black plastic case if you want to plug that in Norty?
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
djscooby View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djscooby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2011 at 8:52pm
Hey come on man these are more qualified to give out wrong advice than anybody apparently my brandnew laptop had a virus strange never even been switched on before now im struggling to get it on the t'internet bearing in mind i've built a few computers and fixed more than i can care to remember ok so can you tell me how my new laptop has got a virus im sorry sir im not a computer techie ha ha got to love them
Well my wife has kicked me out saying it's over due to my obsession with speakers don't know watt I'm gonna do with no ohm to go to
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2011 at 12:45am
Originally posted by TechnoChef TechnoChef wrote:

Have to deal with virgin media and bt quite often when sites lose broadband/phones. I'm no expert but it amazes me what they come out with, not had anything as bad as that though, that guy needs sacking!

Broadband, especially DSL, is susceptible to a lot more weird crap than you'd ever think possible. As a support agent, you can either spend an hour trying to explain impulse noise protection levels and bit depth to somebody who likely cannot wire a plug, or just ask them to do the action that will fix it.
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2011 at 9:58am
Originally posted by TechnoChef TechnoChef wrote:

hey

yeah, as someone who is fairly experienced with computers and who has therefore been pounced upon as the default "IT guy" by all my friends and family, I also have to defend this one. 

Its amazing the amount of things this will actually fix and its also amazing the amount of people who will never actual bother to try it and other really simple things before jumping on the phone to me and expecting me to drop what I'm doing and come and fix their stuff.

I can understand the people at call centres having to go through all the basic steps when they're dealing with someone who doesn't know about computers, but in situations where the are CLEARLY talking to someone who knows what they're talking about they should have the sense to either work with them and listening to what they're saying, or if they're just an untrained monkey following a script pass you onto someone who does know what they're doing.

k

k
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2011 at 10:01am

Digressing somewhat but still on the subject of phone support, here’s our ongoing BT antics:-

I contacted BT business movers to request our existing phone lines and internet connection move to our new office. (20 yards away from the old one).

No problem sir, we can do it in a month! Seemed like a long time to me but we waited and finally the day arrived. Engineer due any time between 1:00 and 6:00.

At 8:30 in the morning they turned off our existing connection. A bit earlier than necessary. At two a non BT contractor turned up, fiddled around a bit and went back to the exchange. Returning 20 minutes later he said its not good news.

“You see, I had to ring my BT ‘coach’ to ask what to do next but he’s not answering the phone so I don’t know what to do!” At that he left saying he had another job to go to.

I called BT business again. Umm, err, oh came the response, I’ll have to get back to you.

I requested a ‘proper’ BT engineer this time.

They eventually called back.

“Well, I’ve marked it as urgent so it should only be a couple of days” said the man at the call centre.

I pointed out that this would leave us cut off from our customers for a total of four days. “Thank you for calling BT” said the guy before hanging up……

The bigger the business, the less they care.

Edited by Nachural - 19 August 2011 at 10:11am
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
JPP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2011 at 5:17pm
I think it also depends on the operator who you're speaking to. Some people just can't be bothered talking through your problems. I called Sky and complained about my internet speed dropping massively. The operator at the other end just said that it's the line and nothing can be done. I called again a few months later and the next operator was really helpful and went through steps such as master socket testing and re-profiling my line speed at their end. In the end I cut the "bell wire" cable that apparently causes interference, and I got the re profiles speed when my router was plugged into another socket in the house.

Was at 700kbits, now at 3700 (although it likes to drop to 3200 now and again, so I might give them a call).

At least there are some helpful operators among the ones who do not seem to care/know what you're talking about.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2011 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Nachural Nachural wrote:

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><font size="2" face="Arial">Digressing somewhat but still on the subject of phone
support, here’s our ongoing BT antics:-

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p><font size="2" face="Arial"> </o:p>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><o:p><font size="2" face="Arial"> </o:p>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><font size="2" face="Arial">I contacted BT business movers to request our existing phone
lines and internet connection move to our new office. (20 yards away from the
old one).

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><font size="2" face="Arial">No problem sir, we can do it in a month! Seemed like a long
time to me but we waited and finally the day arrived. Engineer due any time
between 1:00 and 6:00.

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><font size="2" face="Arial">At 8:30 in the morning they turned off our existing
connection. A bit earlier than necessary. At two a non BT contractor turned up,
fiddled around a bit and went back to the exchange. Returning 20 minutes later
he said its not good news.

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><font size="2" face="Arial">“You see, I had to ring my BT ‘coach’ to ask what to do next
but he’s not answering the phone so I don’t know what to do!” At that he left
saying he had another job to go to.

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><font size="2" face="Arial">I called BT business again. Umm, err, oh came the response,
I’ll have to get back to you.

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><font size="2" face="Arial">I requested a ‘proper’ BT engineer this time.

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><font size="2" face="Arial">They eventually called back.

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><font size="2" face="Arial">“Well, I’ve marked it as urgent so it should only be a
couple of days” said the man at the call centre.

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><font size="2" face="Arial">I pointed out that this would leave us cut off from our customers
for a total of four days. “Thank you for calling BT” said the guy before
hanging up……

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><font size="2" face="Arial">The bigger the business, the less they care.

Again, thanks to OFCOM, an engineer is given a list of modules which dictates what they can and can't touch on a job. When something comes outside that remit they have to call their coach at control to get permission to go outside of the predefined lines, if that can't be done and they roll on towards the 2 hour cap on the job they have to close it off and move on.

BT SFI2 engineers have one of the worst jobs in the country, hence high staff turnover and therefore lack of training/knowledge from working on the job.

Moving a phone line is actually a huge task which requires 3 departments to work to the same timescales.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2011 at 6:41pm
We're moving to new premises.  Knowing that BT would be a nightmare, we ordered two new lines, both with broadband, from two seperate suppliers well in advance of the move.

A month later we still only have one phone line and no broadband.

However, the company across the street has an extra phone line and broadband because BT installed it to the wrong f**king building!
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2011 at 7:44pm
It got worse this afternoon.
I called BT business movers who said the engineer had signed the job off as completed! As far as they were concerned everything is up and running. Apart from the fact that we have neither broadband or telephone access at the new premises.....
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2011 at 7:48pm
Sounds so familiar.  We have to be out of the current premises by the end of the month but have no idea if we'll have phone/broadband in time.  At the moment using a USB 3G modem plugged into the router for broadband.  Actually works quite well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>