Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X1
    Posted: 07 September 2004 at 7:17pm
Is there any reason why, as long as I keep the chamber volumes, port areas and port lengths the same why I can't make a wider but shallower version of the X1?
loophole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loophole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2004 at 8:40pm
do you mean wider as in make the ports taller? (NOT deeper, i mean longer on the front of the box)
keeping the chamber volumes the same won't be so easy because of the angled baffle - still won't be too difficult, but will need a bit of working out
could also encounter some problems with air noises if the ports get too narrow (to make up for increased port height)

making the cabinet longer instead of wider would avoid messing about with the ports, but you'd have to make sure to spread that extra length (and therefore volume) correctly between the chambers. which again, because of the angled baffle, would need some careful thinking. i suppose any excess chamber volume could be dealt with through a couple of extra bits of bracing...

good luck
Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2004 at 8:53pm

Longer, wider, it depends which way round you're looking at it....  If the ports are at either end (rather than top and bottom) I mean wider.

Keeping port area and length the same as I said to avoid any messing around with ports...

The plan is to have a box that will sit under 2 kick bins...

Exodus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exodus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2004 at 10:10am
I was want to do that and have 2 HD15's on top of it......but the x1 is not wide enough :D
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2004 at 7:28pm

Late answer:

If you leave the port area, length and chamber volume the same, it will give no difference in theory. Sometimes slightly in practice tho, but nothing serious.

Keep in mind that the rear of the port (inside) needs to stay away from the back wall. If it comes to close it will effect the portlenght.

Cheers

Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2004 at 10:26pm

I had a student at work who posted a lovely moto on the wall:

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

But in practice there is.

Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 12:02am
Which is why I'm happy to build one of each design and run them side by side to see what the difference was, in practice...
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 5:20pm

And?

Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 7:28pm
I'll let you know, busy building more kickbins at the moment....
Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 7:53pm
Did anyone get Pauls' jig for making the HD15 curve?
Hobbyist2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobbyist2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 11:27pm

Just a general question about the X1, what kind of sound should I be getting out of the box. Should I be able to feel the bass punch at 10 feet or just here enormous rumbles of bass? I'm using the C18-650EL driven with a QSC 2450. What kind of numbers per stack are needed? 2 or more I'm guessing? I had a chance to hear some EAW sb-1000's and they packed quite a punch at 10-15ft, is the X1 comparable?

Mal X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2004 at 12:02am
yeah i would say so but then mine have that bid void lump in them.
Mal, how loud was that!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>