Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

reggae siren and echo and reverb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vibesmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2007 at 9:29pm
just thought i would chip in with some samples of my siren box ,  was just a quick recording but you can get what its about

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=SpuWIN--5BL

its as close a sound as i could get to the njd se-1 that i already have , any feedback welcome , i have trouble signing in sometimes to this site but seems ok through firefox , so any enquiries just ask ,,
ILuvDub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILuvDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2007 at 11:17pm
If you feel like producing any more vibesmaster, you sold one here. Have you thought of taking orders? Sounds killer!
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2007 at 3:26am
Did any of you sound system guys used to use, or still have a type of effects unit called a ''Syn-Drum / Syn-Pad'' ?

@ Vibesmaster, I like that, sounds good, & slightly different than most ones I hear.

russ d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russ d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2007 at 5:49am

not meaning it as a dis but it sounds the same as every other siren copy, wether as the original njd, jts se10, red eyes, mine etc... i`m not sure though wether you`ve built it with some differences or wether you`ve made a mistake in the circuitry because it sounds like you got some rather wayward tones going from about the middle part of the sample (which are not as the njd), i`ve had the same thing when building sirens, but for me it was always because of some component mistake... i tried building one for a friend when i was in israel a few months back but sourcing the right components there was a little difficult, i could`nt get it working, then after i got back i tinkered with it and got a number of tones working and some not, a couple were a little off, but actually it was quite interesting so i have`nt tinkered any more, sometimes the mistakes gives you something different and probably, like yours, its worth keeping it as it is...

people keep telling me that jts`s se10 is different from the njd, but it is exactly the same circuit, albeit with an additional chip for 3 xtra sounds, but the rest of the siren has the exact same cycle of tones as the njd, it can sound different at times but its only in pitch (which also affects the rate of the sounds), and this is usually due to the differences in component tolerances, this can also be from batch to batch, tubbs has noticed this himself with some batches being slightly higher in pitch than others, but very little can be done to resolve that.

syndrums, there were loads of them back in the days, jhs, boss and many other makes, the most wanted has always been the synare 3, `cause its what shaka uses... from jts there will soon be the `synfex` unit which is his adaption of the syndrum. 
Disciples on I-Tunes.

Disciples on Bandcamp: http://russdisciples.bandcamp.com/

Facebook: russ disciple

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/sargantbrown?feature=mhum
mskeete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskeete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2007 at 5:59am
I had my hands on a njd clone the other day (but didn't get time to draw out the circuit) but it was based on transistors.

I once had a quick look at JTS one and it was based on an IC so it doesn't appear to be exactly the same (although I'm sure it sounds pretty close)

Personally, I'm tired of all the clones and I wish people / builders would come with something a bit more original

My PCB's just turned up (quicker than I thought) but the've been made the wrong way round
My fault as I was supposed to put some text on the PCB so that the pcb firm knew which side was which

I shall have to improvise

Edited by mskeete - 15 January 2007 at 6:00am
russ d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russ d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2007 at 6:41am
mark yeah there is an ic but this is only for the 3 xtra sounds and is just built into part of the original circuit as an addition, it has no effect on the main circuit which is, component for component, the same as the njd.

did you see and check the japanese website a while back last year, the builder there had about half a dozen or more different sirens, some very simple and basically doing little more than one tone, some had controls for different parts of the tones cycles, variable pitch and such, but i actually thought most just seemed to gurgle away with no particular style... that seems to be more the problem for builders, to get something that you go yeah that fits... that seems to be why everyone goes for the njd type, it works for the music. 
Disciples on I-Tunes.

mskeete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskeete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2007 at 6:57am
yeah, think I've seen that site
vibesmaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vibesmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2007 at 7:33am
no mistakes in this curcuit russ , theres more than enough room for an extra switch or 2 to be used thus giving the extra wayward tones you mention , also it is based on the same tones as an njd , them extra 3 sounds i could quite easily live without besides they are just a velleman 113 kit added to a siren circuit , same as what sir larsie i is trying to sell for £100 on e-bay , so yes it is similar to all other sirens but none i heard on the net have had the sound i like this is as close as i heard to an njd , but yes theres no mistakes on this one im glad to point out   its the 3rd one i built and they all sounded the same , very stable on the up down tone aswell none of that grainy business , 
vibesmaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vibesmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2007 at 7:34am
them japanese ones are like you say just gargle on no particular set sounds and very digital sounding , 555 flip flop style 
russ d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russ d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2007 at 7:54am

do you operate yours on battery or mains... i noticed two things with both my sirens and jts... someone adapted one of my sirens to mains operation and that one sound (the up down one) had graininess (when it reaches the dip) where it did`nt when just on battery, and same way i adapted a jts to battery and it had no graininess... it seemed to me the mains supply was the culprit... btw, i must`ve built about a hundred of the things during the 90`s, was a good little business, got bored of doing them in the end then struck a deal with tubbs, saved a lot of back ache, neck ache and eye soreness !... 

and yeah i saw the pic you posted of yours before, a rather huge box !! plenty room to add anything i think, kitchen sink too...ha ha...just a joke !

yeah i know the chip in the jts is just one of those old velleman kit chips, its just an addition to the set, and interfere`s in no way with the rest of the unit, and its not like it adds any additional cost, and some people actually like the sounds, i`ve found them useful when wanting to get away from being a shaka clone !

Edited by russ d - 15 January 2007 at 7:57am
Disciples on I-Tunes.

mskeete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskeete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2007 at 9:01am
Sounds like the power supply needs more smoothing
hikk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hikk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2007 at 10:04am
Originally posted by mskeete mskeete wrote:

Sounds like the power supply needs more smoothing

so how does one set about smoothing out a power supply?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>