Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Events and Ting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SoundSystem Sound-Off October

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ras Elder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 4:41am
Originally posted by Masai Masai wrote:

I will keep it short and sweet Wink and say that I enjoyed myself. It was good to see the Motion fam and other mans dem. Musically, it was good hearing different tunes played on the sets - including Beres 'Tell Me Why'. Too much people think that sound system is just about 'Roots and Culture' (definition on a post card please). It's about REGGAE MUSIC!! DON'T BUDDA GET IT TWISTED!!! Nice to hear some Rock Steady too. The A.S.S sets where not really 'singing' for me (due to reasons given above) Nice mids though... 

I know these events are geared towards showing of ones set so I expect to hear 'my woofer is better then yours' and I've got more boxes than you mate' etc but it would have been nice to see an old fashion operator touch up the keys (knobsEmbarrassed to you lot) to get the sets singing. No notable creative use of the preamp/mixer but this seems to be the norm - unfortunatelyUnhappy Oh well....

I had a good skank and the food was nice, but I must share my coleslaw recipe with the chef. I think he could do with it Tongue LOL Cool Wink

I look forward to the next one. JAH LIVES!!!
   Vex because I missed you, left at 8.15pm "due to management" aka wife. She says how come so much good music is played and only man deh? when woman deh bout, bare "soft regular tune, hunnuh man selfish"
LIGWA View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LIGWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 8:17am
Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

Originally posted by Tekasis Tekasis wrote:

Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

I'll bring one scoop, and bagsy the corner LOL 

Which scoop is that ??? as many types and many versions have come out & left your stable and none still can't touch the little 35'' scoop!

Try and answer that without taking this nice running thread into the gutter & making it get locked.

EDIT:?Embarrassed
I have 3 contenders tek
S7 = 1 x 21''  BLH
V2 = 2 x 18''  BLH
K1 = 2 x 12''  FLH

don't think I've ever run a thread into the gutter or got one locked

EDIT:
EDIT:
EDIT:

I only need ONE the LIGWA ECO SCOOP which is now loaded with the new celestion CF18VJD 1600w

deadly ......... unbelievable mek me tell you
JudgeDredd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeDredd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 10:42am

Musically, it was good hearing different tunes played on the sets - including Beres 'Tell Me Why'. Too much people think that sound system is just about 'Roots and Culture' (definition on a post card please). It's about REGGAE MUSIC!! DON'T BUDDA GET IT TWISTED!!!

Have to respectfully disagree with you there, sir. Sorry but I saw many perplexed looks when "Tell me Why" was played.

If I go to a regular reggae dance, with music provided by sound systems, yes I would expect all kinds of reggae, maybe even soca and some rnb.

If I go to a "Roots & Culture" clash,  I expect to hear the kind of music Shanti, Iration, WSP, Kibir am Lak, Jah Voice would play, "Roots & Culture", with most of it with heavy "bline", clear mids and tops.

Don't want to hear Lovers, or "vocal acapella", or even "dancehall" clash style plates, just played to mention the sounds name..Confused

Even my girl said "why are two of the systems playing so much soft music, and this is supposed to be a roots ting !?"

Last time I heard Spanners, Trendsetter, Roots Renegade play, selection was faultless, and those guys are not even "West Indian", so "probably" can't raid their Mom's or Dads record collection, for some King Tubbys vinyl, or were collecting Trojans/greensleeves from school. LOL

"Simples"..

Edited by JudgeDredd - 05 October 2011 at 11:13am
"Please inform the Federation, we have engaged the Borg.."
soundcritic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundcritic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 11:19am
Originally posted by JudgeDredd JudgeDredd wrote:

Musically, it was good hearing different tunes played on the sets - including Beres 'Tell Me Why'. Too much people think that sound system is just about 'Roots and Culture' (definition on a post card please). It's about REGGAE MUSIC!! DON'T BUDDA GET IT TWISTED!!!

Have to respectfully disagree with you there, sir. Sorry but I saw many perplexed looks when "Tell me Why" was played.

Last time I heard Spanners, Trendsetter, Roots Renegade play, selection was faultless, and those guys are not even "West Indian", so "probably" can't raid their Mom's or Dads record collection, for some King Tubbys vinyl, or were collecting Trojans/greensleeves from school. LOL

"Simples"..

I agree with Judge Dredds first point regarding Beres, but your second statement regarding Trendsetter is incorrect. I wasn't at the October sound off due to work but was at the September one where Trendsetter played 'Black Skin Boys by 15,16 & 17' which is a lovers rock tune...

Looking forward to the next one. Big up Motion 54 and all the souds that took part
I am everywhere and I am nowhere!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeDredd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 11:30am
Originally posted by soundcritic soundcritic wrote:

I agree with Judge Dredds first point regarding Beres, but your second statement regarding Trendsetter is incorrect. I wasn't at the October sound off due to work but was at the September one where Trendsetter played 'Black Skin Boys by 15,16 & 17' which is a lovers rock tune...

Looking forward to the next one. Big up Motion 54 and all the souds that took part

Yes, Paulus will play a lover's tune,  but only if they have a heavy bline, which I  give a pass in this instance.Embarrassed
soundcritic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundcritic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 11:33am
Originally posted by JudgeDredd JudgeDredd wrote:

Yes, Paulus will play a lover's tune,  but only if they have a heavy bline, which I  give a pass in this instance.Embarrassed

Fair enough - but then I believe Al Grey should also get a pass too if its the only non roots and culture tune that he played? Lets not be biased....
I am everywhere and I am nowhere!
SUFFERER View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUFFERER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 11:33am
Big difference, you got Roots n Culture scene where for me it may be a soundcheck or a just a dance but youl hear music across the board all under the genre reggae, now when you go hear big sounds... as much as you may hate it its called roots n DUB... all promotions where sounds mentioned above like King E, Makaya, WSP, Jah Voice, Aba, Iration... the nights are called DUB nights... UOD, Dub School, DUb Club here Dub Club there. 

Many times I say concentrate on the music, if your ambition is to play against a big sound, get yourself out of these sound checks, build up your DUBs and book a dance with a sound and play them.... then again if you aint got no vibe then stick to the culture scene. 
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 11:40am
No mention of Roots & Culture on the poster/flyer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeDredd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by SUFFERER SUFFERER wrote:

Big difference, you got Roots n Culture scene where for me it may be a soundcheck or a just a dance but youl hear music across the board all under the genre reggae, now when you go hear big sounds... as much as you may hate it its called roots n DUB... all promotions where sounds mentioned above like King E, Makaya, WSP, Jah Voice, Aba, Iration... the nights are called DUB nights... UOD, Dub School, DUb Club here Dub Club there.

Very valid input.. Clap

So does that mean at a Rice n Peas or GP Roots ting, a sound "shouldn't" play dub all night ?

Fair enough - but then I believe Al Grey should also get a pass too if its the only non roots and culture tune that he played? Lets not be biased....

OK, so maybe more correct to say, some of us were expecting to hear more dub, as opposed to generic "roots & culture" tunes then.

Edited by JudgeDredd - 05 October 2011 at 12:13pm
Gee136 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 12:56pm
Good arguments from all corners on the music selection Thumbs Up.................... I'd just like to say each Soundsystems/machines to their own, if they're happy with their selections, then all's well, the people will decide with their feet Exclamation .............................. True or not Question

Peace......................... Big smile
Goverment Sound (weight & treble roots machine)

When Goverment ah play, infidels, ginals & masqueraders run away.....
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 1:02pm
to true mr G Big smile when i dropped that tune did get a good reaction!!!
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
spanners View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spanners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 1:19pm
  [/QUOTE]

Don't want to hear Lovers, or "vocal acapella", or even "dancehall" clash style plates, just played to mention the sounds name..Confused

Even my girl said "why are two of the systems playing so much soft music, and this is supposed to be a roots ting !?"

"Simples"..

[/QUOTE]

LOL Biggup JudgeDread Thumbs Up Wink  .... nuff Rspek!

Also fairplay to Tony ASS... no excuses or politics! Star

maybe he draw the beres as his bass wasnt ruff?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>