Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Push-Pull 15"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 12:51am
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Can you measure the boxes without any HPF? That way we can see how low it really goes. It does look to me that the back chamber can do a little bit better under 55Hz. Can you put the mic right on the round port exit so can see where the back chamber is tuned? Front one seems to be spot on where it suppose to be.

I thought that this was a reflex box with a B6 alignment??? I'm not sure what you mean by the tuning of the rear and front chamber.

If I remember correctly the box is tuned to the same frequency as the drive unit and the box is 4 times Qt^2 times Vas. The box then requires a boost of 6dB at 1 point a bit the resonant frequency, which is also the -3dB point; 38Hz I would presume from the OP.
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 7:41am
@Steve, correct, it was designed to have an Fb of 38hz.  

I know myself that the only way to get a good fix on this with this order of boxes is through the phase response thru zero which is why Joost has posted the image.

@Joost  The ECM8000 (apologies if I have identified it wrongly) can be quite a bit out at 100hz and below so don't take the results as gospel, assuming that you have not had it calibrated that is.

Tony

Edited for stupidity :)

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 23 July 2013 at 1:16pm
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
overdrive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overdrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 8:46am
Zoost, thats a new one LOL

@Marjan: the graph shown before was without EQ and HPF, only a LPF @150Hz.

@Tony: Indeed a non-calibrated ECM8000, altough it can have a small offset, it works fine in finding the problem area's and giving an indication of the response. I think no bigger error than 1-2dB will be seen  30-100Hz.

What you suggest on tweaking the ports? 

Joost

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 9:03am
Originally posted by overdrive overdrive wrote:

Zoost, thats a new one LOL

Joost

Sorry about that , all corrected now :)

Take 25 mm off the port tubes, calc's show they should be around 300mm long BUT I would take it in stages.

Regards

Tony

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 23 July 2013 at 9:03am
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Steve_B Steve_B wrote:

Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Can you measure the boxes without any HPF? That way we can see how low it really goes. It does look to me that the back chamber can do a little bit better under 55Hz. Can you put the mic right on the round port exit so can see where the back chamber is tuned? Front one seems to be spot on where it suppose to be.

I thought that this was a reflex box with a B6 alignment??? I'm not sure what you mean by the tuning of the rear and front chamber.

If I remember correctly the box is tuned to the same frequency as the drive unit and the box is 4 times Qt^2 times Vas. The box then requires a boost of 6dB at 1 point a bit the resonant frequency, which is also the -3dB point; 38Hz I would presume from the OP.

True, but the clam shelve baffle does act like sort of a chamber. As i suspected the box is probably tuned too low. That is why i asked to take measurements of the port. It will tell the real tuning frequency.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
overdrive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overdrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 12:06pm
Marjan, I posted the impedance and fase plots one page back. This tells you all you need to know about the tuning freqs. The port method I also tried but is unaccurate. 

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 12:09pm
Marjan,  The design is based on my Q15 box and all I have done is put 2 drivers in a PP arrangement to make use of the lower distortion that this gives.

The Q15 Fb is 41 hz and this one is tuned slightly lower at 38hz.

It looks like you can see the effect of the front chamber on the Imp graph at around 200hz.

Regards

Tony

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 23 July 2013 at 12:09pm
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 1:04pm
Hmm, then why the response drops so rapidly below like 55Hz. I certainly dint expected to see that kind of drop. 

@Steve, you think that the driver will be ok with +6db at 38Hz?
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 1:49pm
Marjan, Max X is at 55hz and is 9mm,  At Fb it is around 4mm at max power (600 per driver)

Tony
+/-3dB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote +/-3dB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 2:04pm
Never heard PP or PPSL, but I'm tempted to try one. Can you tell us something about your impressions regarding lower harmonic distortion?

If measurements has been taken, which indicate lower distortion, what is your subjective impression? Do you think it sounds better than a BR with the same drivers?
Is the difference clearly audible at loud volume?

Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 11:28pm
The B6 alignment is supposed to have good control over cone excursion both in and out of the operating bandwidth. It was documented in Thiele’s Loudspeakers in Vented Boxes paper, and Keele wrote a paper on variations of this alignment.

With modern software I don’t see the point in sticking to specific alignments as the programs give full response plots for every possible combination of box volume and tuning.

With regards to using electronic eq to achive the desired response I am all for it. The easiest thing is to give an example.

The plots below are for an Eminence Delta 12LF. As a comparison the pink plot is a BMS 12.

The green plot is the default winisd box. This is 129 litres

Keeping the same tuning, but reducing the box volume to 36 litres gives the blue plot.

Using the above tuning but adding some electronic eq results in the red plot (+8dB at 40Hz and -4dB at 100Hz. Remember this is in a box 3.5 times smaller than the green plot. So what is the catch, because everyone knows you can’t get much bass out of a small box.

Well the next plots show the max SPL. Again the pink plot is the BMS 12” sub speaker in a 36 litre box.

Apart from some loss at the port resonance, the max output is exactly the same for the big and small boxes. If you are after a flat response both boxes will give 114dB down to 40Hz. The BMS puts out a couple of dB more.

Lots of eq probably means lots of phase shift. The next lot of graphs show the group delay. There is not much to choose between them above 40Hz. The red peak is caused by the fact I added a high pass filter to that design.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2013 at 7:40am
Steve, That is why I usually refer to these boxes as "assisted alignment" as I do not stick exactly to the B6 rules.

Tony
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>