Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Push-Pull 15"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2013 at 11:26am
Tony, I didn't think for a minute you did not understand - (well maybe for a couple of seconds Tongue ).

The response was to Marjan asking about the applied boost.

I previous threads some people people seem to have a hard time understanding that you can make a box that on its own is not flat and then correct it electronically. I thought that the example would explain it more clearly.

For PA work, the most useful graph in winisd is the maximum spl. This is the equivalent of the safe operating area familiar to the electronic guys. If your target response fits under the curve you are good to go. Getting a transfer function that is flat down to 30Hz is useless if excursion limitations restrict the output to 100dB between 50H and 85Hz. It is far better to tune the box higher and get the output up where it is generally more useful. If the resultant transfer function requires eq fine.
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2013 at 11:56am
Steve, I know it was not aimed at me, just reinforcing a point to anyone interested. 

In the Q15 design and this double version I played around with the parameters until I got a box with the extension I needed that also maximised the driver in the smallest practical volume.

I also reckon that the tiny boxes also help to cut down on what I term "Box Talk". Should be self explanatory. :)

Tony
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2013 at 2:07pm
Just simmed that driver. It is nothing like the 12S330. Asking for a 300+ lit for a double 15 box. Similar box with 12S330 will get you a better low end. 
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2013 at 4:47pm
If you are designing a box to be maximally flat with no eq then the BMS 15 does require a volume of 300 litres. The following graph shows such a box plotted in red.

The green plot is for a 150 litre box with a 4dB boost.

The smaller box does suffer slightly at the bottom end when you look at the max spl plots, but don't forget the green plot is in a box half the size of the red plot.

For the live type bands I do, the smaller box would win all the time. I usually run with a 40 - 45Hz HP filter anyway. I doubt you would hear much difference.

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2013 at 6:11pm
I get this all perfectly Steve. Just never really looked at the 15S330, and somehow was thinking it will be a biffed up 12S330, which clearly isnt. That was the confusing thing to me.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2013 at 6:17pm
Marjan, it uses the same motor assembly but obviously a standard surround, I find it a lovely sounding driver that is usable quite high.

Tony
el_dj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el_dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2013 at 7:02pm
been following this with interest... gentlemen... looks good..

im a bit of a noob, but can someone point me in the right direction to understand "the problem" with the impedance plot, and how that is related to the tuning. ? and on top of that, why this box does not go lower?

maybe a lot to ask. however i dont mind reading if you can point me to the correct links... whenever i search the subject i mainly get car audio subjects and it is not more ohm's low and what not to do.

thanks. :)

Edited by el_dj - 24 July 2013 at 7:03pm
Old twat, with an interest in light & sound

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2013 at 7:50pm
Steve has already explained it quite well. Since English is not my native language i find it difficult for me to even begin explaining things like this over the forum.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2013 at 8:44pm
With reflex cabinets there is an impedance minimum at the box resonant frequency. It is a useful way to check the tuning of the box. In the plots below I created a box and then changed the tuning from 30 to 40 and then 50Hz.

Edited by Steve_B - 11 August 2013 at 2:28pm
overdrive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overdrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2013 at 9:21am
Hi Steve, it's also good to post the impedance phase plot. Its the most accurate way to find you tuning freq point(s).
overdrive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overdrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2013 at 4:54pm
Today had some time to start tweaking the Fb. Eventually the 3 ports were shortened by 7cm.

Fb went from 35Hz to 38Hz :) And indeed the front chamber seems to act as a resonance chamber too around 160Hz.

(Green = 38.5cm ports / Pink = 31.5cm ports / Blue = no ports)

Next the freq plots: With assisted B6 alignment F3=~48Hz, F6=~44Hz:

(Pink=no filter/no EQ / Green = LPF LR48@151Hz / Blue = HPF BW12 + PEQ@40Hz-8.7dB-Q=1.8 and LPF LR48@151Hz)

Joost

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2013 at 7:47pm
Joost,  It is actually very close to my measurement of a THAM15 with the applied EQ  :)

Tony
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>