Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Events and Ting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SoundSystem Sound-Off November

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeDredd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Motion54 Motion54 wrote:

Mykey, what about if a sound has are larger following and therefore gets more votes even though they really weren't the best?

Yep, have seen this before..

And a lot of people think "Loud" is the best.

Experienced veteran knows when he is hearing balanced, clean controlled sound, even when it is removing the roof. He also knows how to judge on factors like how many amps, quality of tunes, presentation, engineering, having no problems if using vinyl...

Many people are easily impressed by just one of those aspects.
"Please inform the Federation, we have engaged the Borg.."
QSS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 11:11am
Are we saying these "soundchecks" are now stepping up to "SOUNDCLASH" status?

If thats the case then I do agree that, well respected and experienced "REGGAE" Sound Men/Sound Engineers should be the judges.  Like Judge Dread, I've seen clashes were the majority of the crowd had a fovourite even before a tune is played.
"Music is life"
JudgeDredd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeDredd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 11:29am
Personally don't think they should be upgraded to Sound clash status. As I know that will lead to "bare ego bizniz",  and infinite number of "artist specials" being played.

"Maybe" each soundcheck could be judged on,

1)Presentation
2)Weight, Mids, Tops, Sizzle (LOL), how well sound fills the venue?
3)Music
4)Amount of equipment used - Cabs+Amps+Outboard - Less is more points ?
5)Promptness, Professionalism, Crowd entertainment

Edited by JudgeDredd - 21 October 2011 at 11:31am
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 11:43am

if the sounds cover the venue then door money should go to whoever the people enjoy most. everyone before they leave write down who they enjoyed most and their admission will go to that sound. small incentive to perform. no clash, no competition, just an incentive to the sounds and some appreciation from the people they are playing for.

Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
SUFFERER View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUFFERER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 11:59am
Too much bias business will happen. Look at the first lot of certain entertainer 'dances', man who were not even present in the hall still ended up submitting votes LOL
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 12:03pm
Less is more points ? Clap
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeDredd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by luton_soundman luton_soundman wrote:

if the sounds cover the venue then door money should go to whoever the people enjoy most. everyone before they leave write down who they enjoyed most and their admission will go to that sound. small incentive to perform. no clash, no competition, just an incentive to the sounds and some appreciation from the people they are playing for.

You'll still get people voting for "matey", even before they reach the dance. LOL

Doubt there is any money left from admission, after venue cost.
QSS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by JudgeDredd JudgeDredd wrote:

Originally posted by luton_soundman luton_soundman wrote:

You'll still get people voting for "matey", even before they reach the dance. LOL

Doubt there is any money left from admission, after venue cost.

Yep. That will defo happen.Thumbs Up

If the event is held in....lets say Bristol, with a bristol sound a two london sounds. The fact that the distance of traveling the london sounds would have less supporters than the bristol sound and even though we would like to think that people would be unbiased we know that's not the case
"Music is life"
waxhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waxhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 12:52pm
It's like anything people or mate will always vote and say he was using this and he only had this but it just like going to war what do you carry a single bullet gun or a machine gun i know which one i would want to carry.
soundcritic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundcritic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by QSS QSS wrote:

Are we saying these "soundchecks" are now stepping up to "SOUNDCLASH" status?

If thats the case then I do agree that, well respected and experienced "REGGAE" Sound Men/Sound Engineers should be the judges.  Like Judge Dread, I've seen clashes were the majority of the crowd had a fovourite even before a tune is played.

I agree with QSS, a clash dance is completely different to a soundcheck. I'm old enough to remember when I went to a clash dance and one sound was handing out £1 notes and whistles to the peepople so they could make the most noise even tho their sound and selection was crap but they were crowned champions as the crowd made the most noise for them (no names mentioned )!

Also if it is a clash, no promoter can tell me how much boxes to bring. I'm bringing whatever I want to win the dance as if a man waan bring knife to gun fight, den a fi him bizness dat!

I would prefer the sound checks as they are with all sounds on a level playing field (however think this venue deserves 6 scoops as it is a good size and can handle 6) Big up Motion 54 and all the sounds taking part in November. Bless up
I am everywhere and I am nowhere!
Gee136 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by soundcritic soundcritic wrote:

Also if it is a clash, no promoter can tell me how much boxes to bring. I'm bringing whatever I want to win the dance as if a man waan bring knife to gun fight, den a fi him bizness dat!

+1 Clap

Peace................ Big smile
Goverment Sound (weight & treble roots machine)

When Goverment ah play, infidels, ginals & masqueraders run away.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeDredd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by soundcritic soundcritic wrote:

If you're in "Roots/Dub" Clash in Scala, or many other established "Roots/Dub" venues, and the promoter says 4x or 8x box,  then is 4x or 8x you're bringing. Those million box dance is not roots&dub ting.LOL

Seen Shanti/JTS/WSP blaze up Venues with only 4x scoops.

In fact one time JTS only bought 6x scoops to an 8 box ting, running off "one amp", and still kept up with the rest.

A lesson in how to efficiently engineer a sound.Wink

Edited by JudgeDredd - 21 October 2011 at 2:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>