Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Events and Ting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SoundSystem Sound-Off November

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 24>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ras i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 2:42pm
If we have big enough venues then yes we can have sound clashes where sounds bring what they "OWN" not no borrow from friend or hire ting, 
but we can also have clashes where a maximum amount of boxes are allowed due to venue size.
Sun Sun Sun
ras i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ras i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by JudgeDredd JudgeDredd wrote:

Personally don't think they should be upgraded to Sound clash status. As I know that will lead to "bare ego bizniz",  and infinite number of "artist specials" being played.

"Maybe" each soundcheck could be judged on,

1)Presentation
2)Weight, Mids, Tops, Sizzle (LOL), how well sound fills the venue?
3)Music
4)Amount of equipment used - Cabs+Amps+Outboard - Less is more points ?
5)Promptness, Professionalism, Crowd entertainment

Isn't that a soundclash then?Confused  As long as the sounds will be judged and a rating given or a winner picked then that will be a clash.
Sun Sun Sun
QSS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 3:01pm
Yes I agree with ras I. As long as there is judging becomes a competition so it is a soundclash.

"Music is life"
JudgeDredd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeDredd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by ras i ras i wrote:

Personally don't think they should be upgraded to Sound clash status. As I know that will lead to "bare ego bizniz",  and infinite number of "artist specials" being played.

"Maybe" each soundcheck could be judged on,

1)Presentation
2)Weight, Mids, Tops, Sizzle (LOL), how well sound fills the venue?
3)Music
4)Amount of equipment used - Cabs+Amps+Outboard - Less is more points ?
5)Promptness, Professionalism, Crowd entertainment

Isn't that a soundclash then?Confused  As long as the sounds will be judged and a rating given or a winner picked then that will be a clash.

I didn't mention anything about a winner or clash. Is Mykey started that foolishness (as usual instigating strife & contention). Along with getting the crowd to vote.. <facepalm>

IMHO, clash is primarily for the benefit of the crowd.

Thought soundcheck was primarily for sounds who don't play that often, to try/tune up their system in public, with other sounds present.

Judges making decision about which sound overall did the best on day, encourages them in their quest, and provides the other sounds valuable input from experts. Clash does'nt do any of this.
Wink

Edited by JudgeDredd - 21 October 2011 at 3:04pm
"Please inform the Federation, we have engaged the Borg.."
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 3:34pm
from very small children we're brainwashed in to competing Judgedread. In the back of the minds of these for sounds is what they would be thinking no?

Edited by mykey- - 21 October 2011 at 3:35pm
QSS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 4:11pm
However these event are run there will always be an ellement of competition, but it can be done in a constructive way.
The way these events are run now where the punters which include other respected soundmen and engineers make there observations and give there suggestions on the forum or to the sounds personally on where and how a sound can improve is fine imo.

Once we begin to intruduce official judges in anyway it then becomes a clash.
"Music is life"
QSS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 4:14pm
I personally think there is room for both formats to work.
We have been doing sounchecks for a while now, so most sounds should know where they stand so maybe it's time for some more serious sound clashesBig smile
"Music is life"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeDredd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

from very small children we're brainwashed in to competing Judgedread. In the back of the minds of these for sounds is what they would be thinking no?

So you're a mind reader now ? You have'nt been to "one" of those events, yet you know what soundman playing there are thinking?

If you took the time to read into the history of RicenPeas, then SoundSystem Soundoff, it is easily recognisable Soundsystem soundoff was more  about lesser known sounds getting an opportunity to give their systems a "stretch out", in an atmosphere, where crowd was mostly sound people, as opposed to dance goers.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeDredd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by QSS QSS wrote:

We have been doing sounchecks for a while now, so most sounds should know where they stand so maybe it's time for some more serious sound clashesBig smile

Sorry but don't agree.

Some sounds are just not good enough yet to talk about clashing with anyone. So now instead of improving their sound quality and investing in quality cabs and amps, they'll be spending $$$ getting dubplates, and blowing drivers when they try to blast them. Mykey just mash up the vibe with his 1 post.

If I want to hear sound clash, I'll go hear WSP, Shanti, JTS, Operation,JV, Kibir, EQ, Bosrah, Touch Above or similiar level. Because they know soundsystems, and machine is ready for war.

Thought these soundcheck events were about upcoming sounds getting ready for next level.

Edited by JudgeDredd - 21 October 2011 at 8:21pm
QSS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 11:32pm

Originally posted by QSS QSS wrote:

Sorry but don't agree.

Some sounds are just not good enough yet to talk about clashing with anyone. So now instead of improving their sound quality and investing in quality cabs and amps, they'll be spending $$$ getting dubplates, and blowing drivers when they try to blast them. Mykey just mash up the vibe with his 1 post.

If I want to hear sound clash, I'll go hear WSP, Shanti, JTS, Operation,JV, Kibir, EQ, Bosrah, Touch Above or similiar level. Because they know soundsystems, and machine is ready for war.

Thought these soundcheck events were about upcoming sounds getting ready for next level.

Yes I agree that some of the sounds are not quite ready for the big league as yet, but I have
heard a few sounds in the soundchecks that would give some of the so called big sounds a run for their money.
I'm not saying to stop the sounchecks, HELL NO! All I'm saying is lets have some events where we
step up the game up a gear or twoWink 

Edited by QSS - 21 October 2011 at 11:33pm
"Music is life"
spanners View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spanners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 11:47pm
interesting thread to read..... no real need for judges unless its summit like best new entertainer as usually u can jus use your own ears. everybodys there to have a good time, to hear music they love ... always the added bonus of ''OOOoooo havent heard this tune before!?'' too or ''s#it me, didn't expect that!''

.... whatever happens, matters not....... lot of good people pulling together to make sure theres a little relief from the rat race.

Biggup all of you!
MotioN54SOLO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MotioN54SOLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2011 at 12:58pm
Okay the MotioN54 squad have been having this discussion for couple of days bringing a element of competition into the SOUND-OFF not only is it a chance for a sound to blow off steam at full volume but to expand the next person into music he / she is unfamiliar with, there are hundreds of thousands of choons to be played not only to be playing Prophecy or Famine but starting from January there will be a next level being introduced to the SOUND-OFF as we want to get sounds back in the arena and not just waiting for "Carnival" wether Birmingham,Luton,Bristol or Notting Hill etc however not everyone will be able to afford to cut dubplates so this is about musical knowledge and quality of soundsystem so in 2012 let the games begin

love,peace and bassline
Solo MotioN54
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 24>