Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DUAL 18 SELENIUM MODIFICATION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2006 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

it's an educated guess, but surely this would only be an improvement ?

and it's only 75mm added to the original when cut in half.

now therin lies the rub, and is part of a subject i hope to raise in this section before too long. bifurcated horns... to what extent do dual driver horns "share" the horn path, would the single driver variant infact be significantly more than half of the dual version? fiddling in hornresp isn't getting me too far as i don't know if, once you have set it to dual drivers, if the doubling of vtc, atc, vrc etc will accurately represent the dual chambers and throats of something like a martin 215.

i have a sneaking suspicion that the single driver versions may disapoint slightly, multiple driver horns do seem to exhibit some rather cool properties.

1000mm - 50mm for the ply = 950 divide by 2 = 475

475 + 75 = 550 + 50 = 600

bigger mouth, bigger driver chamber

could even do it 580 total.

and still stack them on there sides as the original, or upright (bottom to bottom) like the t18.

seems as good a way as any of going about it, on a purely guesswork front. thing is you could actually model it reasonably accurately for single drivers in hornresp (one would have thought, see discussions of neverwinter's 18" punisher and ceharden's 15 hornsub over in new projects forum for interpretation of vtc, atc and horn length for Vee wedge style throats). i'd definitely do that before comitting to building as they are clearly designed to be used in big piles and you'd never know if your mod had worked until it was too late!

edit. james! not even the 60ft wall of martin F2 sounded as good as the Selenium rig, and remember i dont do drugs so i wasnt influenced in anyway.

better than that brute? freeow! now i am seriously impressed... drugs make music sound cool by the way, perhaps you might concede a quick baloon of nitrous oxide? it's over awfully quick and gives a fantastic plate reverb...

james.

mardy hippy.
COWFOOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COWFOOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2006 at 10:13pm

From a casual glace the Selenium bin is very similar to the classic CV SL36 bin. Crossection wise the Selenium is a bit smaller than the CV SL36. I presume it has a shorter horn than the CV. Just making an observation.

mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 12:55am
when we were experimenting with the XXl bin, we had 5 attempts, and each one was a bonus for the sound, each attempt was a slight widening of the cab as well as making the driver chamber bigger and the scoop flare rate different

my mate phil also suggested using the hollow void where 2 of the wheels, and 2 handles sat to make the driver chamber bigger ( think it was 25ltr's extra)
the last attempt was a widening to 610mm

then we were satisfied

so making the selenium slightly wider as a single can only be a + i think

Edited by mykey - 27 July 2006 at 12:58am
angus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 6:25am
Originally posted by james, ind.st james, ind.st wrote:

drugs make music sound cool by the way, perhaps you might concede a quick baloon of nitrous oxide? it's over awfully quick and gives a fantastic plate reverb...

james.

laughing my ass off! (and not even on gas at the moment ) this is exactly right. someone was trying to describe the effect to me at Glade as i'd only done it a couple of times before out in a field somewhere and not very effectively. managed to perfect technique over the weekend and it's very very funny and strange as well. i'd also recommend trying with a bit of liquid inside you. from zero visuals to full screen red/green digitisation (in sync with the plate reverb as well) - fanatastic fun!

the constant sound of 'psssshhhhh' over the weekend did get a bit tiring, but hey, it's probably jealousy on my part that our group ran out so early on rather than anything else...

has it been said yet? glade was awesome
They're complaining over there, but it's their fault!
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2006 at 1:28pm
what if you used the extender as a u bend type thing and the walls of the cabinet as part of the horn mouth?

like this...

Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2006 at 11:51pm
theirs no top and bottom, and it could do with being a little less wide.
still a good idea though

Edited by mykey - 02 August 2006 at 11:53pm
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 3:08am
yea its not to scale.... as i havent modelled it in hornresp.  the top couly be a sheet u put on top and the bottom the floor....

would be a massively long horn lenth though.
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2006 at 6:14am
Nice idea,as  you get REALLY big,you end up doubling the total volume to an enormous size with small gains.
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2006 at 6:44pm
any one know how these compare to the 15" version that weve just built? [pressumingly they are as similar as i think they are]
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
gingerbiscuit69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2006 at 6:52pm
same idea, just a different tuning and size for the different drivers.
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2006 at 6:55pm
iirc it has almost identical horn length, mouth are a and frequency range [ie 40<200hz in larger stacks] but id imagine the bigger cone area would matter, alough ........
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
unknown_artist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unknown_artist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2006 at 2:11pm
Why do you like to modificate those enclosures? I'm using 8 pieces of those  http://www.tabaudio.de/skhorn.jpg  ,and it's quite enough output (when you use less than 4 its helpful to have good controller setting - but its louder than an Bassreflex enclosure which has got the same size).
Here are some measurements http://www.paforum.de/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=43461&highlight=bastelhorn
I'm sorry for my bad english...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>