Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The best 'Classic' Mixer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The best 'Classic' Mixer
    Posted: 13 October 2011 at 11:40pm
Ok, here's one I'd really be interested in people's views on:

What do people think of as 'the' ultimate classic mixer?, you know, the one you could never actually afford back in the good old days.

I have a personal view - which I fully acknowledge is based on my limited experience of the times - so would be really interested in the views of others........

I suspect I can pretty much predict Colin's opinion (lucky bugger!), and would be very interested in Ian's opinion (he'll probably ditto Colin!) but I suspect there's many many more SP'ers out there who have plenty of first hand experience of what they think of as desirable old skool kit.

BTW, my current view is the Citronic SM607 - I virtually mortgaged my body to buy one - although I remember actually wanting the (twice the price) Allen & Health studio desk,   I once had the pleasure of touching an A&H job at Roger Squire's showroom, after which the 607 never quite got there for me.......

So, what did you yearn to mix with in the 80's?, and why?

Anybody got a 607 to part with?....

Greg

Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2011 at 11:47pm
Citronic 607 was pretty much the one for me. Real workhorse units.
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2011 at 12:14am
Clap Have to agree - but I know there have to be others?
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2011 at 8:52am
Greg,that A&H production mixer was really nice,it is in the squires catalogue,a club near me had one back in the day,nice piece of kit...i agree,it made the Citronic seem a bit "disco shop" compared with it.

The american Bozak mixer was also a good one.

Be seeing you.
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2011 at 9:59am
Ian, any idea how much the S6/2 would have cost at the time? I remember buying the Citronic & knowing that there was no way I could afford the Allen & Heath but can't recall specific costs.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2011 at 10:53am
Around £600 springs to mind Chris....that would have been a fortune in 1977 of course....i can remember paying £250 brand new for a Citronic Hawaii console in 1979,to give an idea of scale.
Be seeing you.
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2011 at 11:57am
That sounds about right, I think it was almost double the cost of the Citronic. It was pretty much a brodcast standard unit, built and priced accordingly. Closest I ever got to one was the Squires catalogue!

Edited by Nachural - 14 October 2011 at 11:58am
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2011 at 12:18pm
Midas XL3 or Soundcraft Series 4?
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2011 at 1:48pm

Ahh, well that's proper FOH mixers. Definitely the XL3 from a few years ago or more recently Midas Pro 6.

For theatre use Cadac of any vintage and for broadcast Studer Vista.
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2011 at 3:14pm
Quite liked the look of the Bozak rotary job IIRC.Then the Formula Sound.

Courtesy of Ian

Edited by burningbush - 14 October 2011 at 3:19pm
music is the message
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2011 at 3:22pm
Check this with its £1300 price tag....

music is the message
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2011 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Around £600 springs to mind Chris....that would have been a fortune in 1977 of course....i can remember paying £250 brand new for a Citronic Hawaii console in 1979,to give an idea of scale.

Looks close enough Ian - some actual prices taken from my copy of the 1977/78 Squire catalogue:

A&H S6/2 £453.60 plus whatever VAT was then (7.5%??)
Citronic SMP506 (short version) £206.86 +vat (no sign of the SM607 that early)
RSD 800b £594 + vat
HH S500d £399 + vat
Optikinetics Solar 250 £70.20
Pulsar 3  chnl Modulator £199.80

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>