Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The best 'Classic' Mixer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2011 at 5:01pm
The VAT was 25% Greg.
Be seeing you.
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2011 at 6:28pm
SM450 with the long crossfader, nice switchable voltage out too.
It just is.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2011 at 7:12pm
I had a sm450 but like most people then lusted after the then older 607 but couldn't afford it, when I did get some cash together I bought a Soundout clubmaster  (JWP's mixer of choice for installs) and a pair of SL1200's and Mr P let me pay him weekly for it.

It was a couple of years later I managed to get hold of a 607 it was lovely and worth the wait I later modified it with a crossfade from Citronic (the 1U thing) 
From the Citronic I went to a GLI 3990 which was wicked when it worked but a bitch to keep working.
from the GLI I went to a vestax PMC15 which I still rate as one of the best "cheap" mixers I've used to date.
Out of all the early stuff nothing could even come close to the 607 for sound quality & reliability.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2011 at 7:17pm
Oh by the way we had one of those A & H mixers in the parkers mix studio for making the background tape's up I thought it was crap, But bare in mind I was  mobile DJ at the time so the layout and stuff on it was all wrong to me then, the studio was set up with SL1200's, quad 405, tannoy's, and a revox PR99 all about quality not the Dj LOL
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2011 at 10:24pm
Yes, they were pretty alien to the format that most mobile DJ's had come to expect. Much more studio like. The SM607 seemed more user friendly in a gig situation.
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2011 at 10:29pm
Just thinking, we have heard about the best DJ mixers but what was the worst?

In my case it was a TUAC with touch sensitive PFL buttons. First sign of humidity and they all latched on.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2011 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Nachural Nachural wrote:

Just thinking, we have heard about the best DJ mixers but what was the worst?

In my case it was a TUAC with touch sensitive PFL buttons. First sign of humidity and they all latched on.

I remember those they were horrid, they also did the weight & treble aimed at reggae sounds.
I think the worst has to be the early phonic stuff (any phonic stuff)

Halfway down this page

Edited by colint - 15 October 2011 at 10:50pm
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2011 at 10:58pm
Thinking of that weight & treble got me on google, Have a look at this and look how much it sold for Shocked

Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 12:30am
Weight & treble. Now that's a bit of kit I never played with though it seemed more aimed at the reggae boys. How did it sound? (I can probably guess...)
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 12:38pm
I certainly wouldn't rate TUAC in the best classic mixer catagory,my experience of them in the 70's was lots of RF oscillation and instability when you turned the input gain or treble up....lost a couple of tweeter diaphragms due to that.

Colin,thats a staggering price.....the man who payed that has never heard the sm607,Supernova or PM80?
Be seeing you.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

I certainly wouldn't rate TUAC in the best classic mixer catagory,my experience of them in the 70's was lots of RF oscillation and instability when you turned the input gain or treble up....lost a couple of tweeter diaphragms due to that.

Colin,thats a staggering price.....the man who payed that has never heard the sm607,Supernova or PM80?

I can't remember how much the weight & treble was when it was new, they used to sell them Iin a shop not far from me (Garland bros) but I know they were only about 100 quid or so.

Non of the Dj's could work them out when they first come out because it was billed as a Dj mixer but all all the functions were wrong (not many of us had come across a reggae sound at that point)
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 1:07pm
Worst was a Vestax 19" Chrome thing.
Massive gain structure design fault, no PFL if master not up past 50%, then at over 50% massive output distortion.
They actually (allegedly) addmited this to an Engineer in Twickenham.

Second worst (this shows how bad the above was) Saxon from Croydon
It just is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>