Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cepiar Amps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by cryz2 cryz2 wrote:

very solid construction  
i am not 100% on what the 3 way stereo switch dose ???
is to the left  mono ?
to the right  bridge ?
and centre stereo ?
dose anyone have any input

One position is bridged another stereo and the other should be parallel mono if memory serves me right.
The best person to speak to about these (or Austin Armstrong or Monitec as they're all the same company) is SP member Monitec I'll leave yo to guess why?

I really liked the Monitec and Austin Armstrong amp's, OK they wasn't mega powerful by today's standards but they ran well and had a nice warm sound to them the four channel amp's did have some issues but when you think how long ago they were made they were pretty cutting edge at the time.
From memory all the above company's were made up from the staff of C-Audio hence the connection that someone made earlier in the thread.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 7:38pm
So Colin who would the guy have been that wanted to sell us amps in the early 90's as Austin Armstrong, then came into our workshop where I was putting our amps together.

We did some A/B bench tests. He then wanted me to go to Cambridge to do mods to their amps to try an acheive comparable results.

The last I heard he was no longer with us?? But cannot confirm this.

We did use some 4x500 ones for mids, then modified them.

Great days.............Smile
Billy Dawg.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 8:01pm
I can't remember to be honest (think it may have been Dave Collins) but I know he came into our shop with the first 4 channel 500 of the line and I nicked it of him to "road test" it he never did get it back LOL

That was to only one we ever had but we did use a few of the two channel amp's in install's without any problems and I believe Tonyass used to run part of his rig on them at one point and as well as Monitec (Richard) Tony is/was (Dave is no longer with us) good friends with both Richard & Dave Collins.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 8:13pm
Thats it. Dave Collins. There was at that time a claim he was the C of C audio??? Don't know. A nice guy.

Wanted me to camp out in a hotel and work on his amps. Such a shame he has gone.

I think I have some of their schematics here somewhere. They were too complicated. Simple is best. Bit like the comparison of an old PPX Vs a VX.
Billy Dawg.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Muckerbarnes1 Muckerbarnes1 wrote:

Thats it. Dave Collins. There was at that time a claim he was the C of C audio??? Don't know. A nice guy.

Wanted me to camp out in a hotel and work on his amps. Such a shame he has gone.

I think I have some of their schematics here somewhere. They were too complicated. Simple is best. Bit like the comparison of an old PPX Vs a VX.

Yup that's him he was C-audio (and Monitec and Austin Armstrong) C-audio started as Chesterton audio (think he was with MM before that) he sold C-audio started Monitc and then it all changed again to Austin Armstrong, Richard on here was with him most/all of the way nice fella also (runs a very nice ASS rig)

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong with any of this (Getting old so memory not so good these day's)
Amateur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 8:44pm

is to the left  mono ?
to the right  bridge ?
and centre stereo ?

This is correct. mono or bridge LED lighting when switch mono or bridge position.

Leaking caps.... :S 

colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Amateur Amateur wrote:

is to the left  mono ?
to the right  bridge ?
and centre stereo ?

This is correct. mono or bridge LED lighting when switch mono or bridge position.

Leaking caps.... :S 

That'll happen on a amp this old sometimes!
Amateur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 9:00pm
Yes, time is time :)

I'm changed leaking caps, and amp works fine. Real test this saturday night. :)
Devinder1940 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devinder1940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 4:29pm
I have one of these Amps. Has anyone got its full specification please.
chickenfizz View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chickenfizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2012 at 7:01am
I have one of these, developed a fault recently, no output on left channel. Just got around to looking at it, high Voltage rails OK on both sides, low voltage rails all OK at regulator outputs, but the op-amps on the input board were floating at around -15v, traced it to a broken track, seemed to have been corroded away... Guess what? Leaking high Voltage filter cap!

And no wonder they've failed, they're 80V 19000uF caps in one channel, and 100v 15000uF in the other! I measured +/- 82V on them which is too much for an 80V capacitor. Both types of capacitor have similar date codes and are by the same manufacturer so I have no doubt that it left the factory this way. Any of these amps with 80V caps need upgrading as they won't last being operated that close to their limit. Getting replacements is not straight-forward either, in fact I've not found any 5 pin 100V caps in the 15000-19000uF range that fit in the space (critically 40mm dia by 105mm length or less). The closest I could find of the right dimensions that was in stock anywhere was 10,000uF which I'm happy to settle for, there's not a lot in it. I was hoping to get 105deg ones too, but no such luck.
cryz2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cryz2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2012 at 9:14pm
HI chickenfizz could you please tell me ware you sourced the your replacement capacitors from

Thank you

Force one sound system
chickenfizz View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chickenfizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 9:15am
Sure, a top secret electronics supplier... R.S. :)

Link to the exact product:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium/2271232/

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>