Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Levan Horn Extension

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomercy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Levan Horn Extension
    Posted: 07 November 2011 at 12:20am
I work for a local audio company in Pittsburgh now. Last night I was at a club that had the EAW version of the "big Bertha." Spoke to the club owner and he said he would let me measure out the levan extension.  Would I be violating any copyrights or anything, if I were to post a detailed plan of what that extension is?

I have the BH 882 plans already thanks to the people on this site.
30 hZ thunder any one?

Yes I know they are huge I had the privilege of standing in front of 2 stacked on top of each other while they played.
Building a system in Pennsylvania.
Laurin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2011 at 12:27pm
No you dont violate any laws cause EAW itself has posted the plans. 
nomercy82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomercy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2011 at 3:25pm
Thank you Laurin. Don't you have a few Bertha's yourself? If so are yours the EAW or the RLA version?

Edited by nomercy82 - 07 November 2011 at 3:33pm
Laurin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2011 at 4:46pm
 I bought some EAW versions a few years back.
And I got the chance to measure the RLA version. 
The only difference is the throat, so wit a lot of wood LOL  I did a trial and error how the sound changes with different throats. "My" version is closer to the EAW version, also tried different driver. 
RCF L18P200 is the original EAW driver and is really good, but does not like it to be driven very hard.

nomercy82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomercy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2011 at 8:03pm
This is me standing infront of 2 of them playing. It's not a smokey environment It's the bass coming out of them causing that in the picture.  Yes I have ear plugs in.  The bass was phenomenal.  So you're satisfied with a hybrid of the EAW and RLA bertha mouth. When you say you took measurements of them do you mean you measured sub box and extension or just extension. I don't get why this box is such a trade secret.  I REALLY doubt they are under some kind of copyright.
Laurin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 6:59am
No plans for the Levan horn, never had the space to use them.

nomercy82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomercy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 5:47pm
Didn't you just say you measured both the EAW and RLA versions? I have the plans for the box, so all I'm looking for is just that massive extension. The EAW version of it. EAW Calls them the 999551 Horn mouth extension. That's what I'm looking for.
Laurin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 7:33pm

RLA Bertha & EAW Bertha not the Levan.

If I was planing to build a Levan horn a would use that: 
And would look at the dimensions from the Bertha and than at the Dimensions from the Levan.
Maybe I would have a look at this to:

Wink

nomercy82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomercy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2011 at 1:40am
I really like how you work. Sorry for the confusion my understanding was that Bertha was the name of the cabinet, and levan was the name of the extension when really the cabinet with the extension at the time was one solid unit, called the Levan, and the same cabinet with out the extension was simply called the Bertha.

I think I'm going to single handedly raise the value of home depot's stock with all the wood I'm going to have to buy.

any clue as to angles ?
nomercy82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomercy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2011 at 4:37pm
I just got off the phone with EAW. They told me that someone had actually gotten a hold of one of their BH 882s and ripped it apart to find the measurements. when I asked if they could point me to where I could just buy their version of the Levan extension the 99951 they essentially blew me off by pointing me to one of their newer products.

So now I'm more determined to build this extension. From your of the RLA ad I got the extenal dimensions. 42 tall, 30.5 deep 96 at the exit of the mouth. 59.5 inches at the entrance of the mouth. The triangle portion on the inside is 15.68 inches into the center of the horn mouth.  the edges of the triangle inside the extension are 460 mm long (equilateral triangle 60, 60, 60), the posts are 32 inches on center apart from each other. There is a 3d Sketch up coing as i type this. So I can smooth out the design inconsistencies ( signifigant figures and what not).  Nearly finished. Will be uploaded by the end of the day.
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2011 at 6:47pm
boom!

lovely mix of metric and imperial you got going there andre...

"how long is that bit?"

"4' 3mm."

james.
mardy hippy.
nomercy82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomercy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2011 at 11:45pm
James do you have any information on the triangles to the edges of the Levan extension? That's the only area I essentially took an educated guess.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>