Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

xone 62 master out fault

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L_K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: xone 62 master out fault
    Posted: 22 November 2011 at 11:30pm
I have a problem with my allen & heath xone 62

The left master out is dead.  completely.  Right XLR is fine, booth left and right work fine.  Record out may be distorted but it may be a sound card problem.  Dont know if it may be linked?

I am no stranger to basic electronic repairs, just with this problem I dont really know where to start.

Any suggestions?

Its odd because this is my "home" mixer which is in very good condition.  My identical, far older and much more battered "party" unit dose not suffer with this, only the usual fader issues.

cheers
chickenfizz View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenfizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2011 at 12:29am
That's decent info! Knowing that the signal is good at the booth (and presumably the meters?) means it has to be very near (electrically) the XLR itself.

1 more test though, could you make sure you have both the left and right present and summed at the mono output please? Just disconnect the Left and right inputs one at a time, both should get to the mono out, this signal is derived after the master pot. If you do have both at this point then it's likely to be either the ribbon cable that joins the top panel to the back panel or a dual op-amp on the back board (the one with the male XLRs on). The fault should be fairly simple to find - famous last words. If you're not confident finding the fault or replacing a chip then send it it to service_dept_steve on here.
CHAMPION View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAMPION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2011 at 10:12am
sounds like a master output board change
Sticks n Stones
chickenfizz View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenfizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2011 at 1:05pm
I disagree, should be easily fixable at component level. These are very logical and easy to work on little mixers.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2011 at 6:45pm
Is the computer you use a laptop
Kevin

North Staffordshire

soundsystemdan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsystemdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2011 at 8:47pm
I've had these, a 'careful tap' sorts it, until the nest time mixer is chucked in a van.

a more thorough method is to open up and re-seat ribbon connectors. works a few time but my ribbons may be wearing a little thin now..
soundsystemdan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsystemdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2011 at 8:47pm
you might find the the sends to auxiliary are fine too.
L_K. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L_K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2011 at 2:23pm
Thanks for the input!

Not had time to do any of the mentioned tests yet...

However one thing to rule out is the mixer being chucked about as its strictly home use mixer, never moves, and the previous owner was the same.

Any ideas on cost of any of these components, fairly reasonable I would guess by the price of faders and other consumables and in fact the cost of the mixer new these days.

Will do some more tests tonight.
L_K. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L_K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2011 at 2:38pm
Ok' just did the test, don't I feel a chump.  Problem has fixed it's self, I gave up a month or 2 ago and just used one master channel and one booth channel.  Only now did I decide to sort it out!

Every things working once again which would suggest dodgy ribbon I guess.

At least got some ideas for if and when it goes next time!
B.P.Sound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.P.Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2011 at 10:47pm
I recon the balance. Was turned to one side.............
http://www.londoneventrentals.co.uk/ https://www.facebook.com/LondonEventRentals
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2011 at 10:50pm
i was at a gig at the weekend where one of these randomly started turning on and off rhythmically... it's done it before apparently
L_K. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L_K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2012 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by B.P.Sound B.P.Sound wrote:

I recon the balance. Was turned to one side.............

Actually I just didn't have it plugged in...

Good cheap place to buy the ribbon?  

Not listed on most parts websites
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>