Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glass Fuse/bulb Protection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Sparky02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glass Fuse/bulb Protection
    Posted: 25 August 2017 at 7:00pm
The instrument panel lamp types I have seen to protect tweeters are Festoon glass tube types, that fit in a glass fuse holder,  rated 12.8 Volts and 2.1 amps.  These have about a 6 ohm resistance when they are heated to full temperature of 2800 degrees Kelvin.  A cold lamp has between 10 and 15 times lower resistance.  A 100 Watt amplifier provides 28.3 Volts into an 8 ohm speaker.  If a tweeter in a 2 way cabinet receives 30% of the signal, on average, from a full frequency range source, then it gets about 15.5 volts on average at almost 2 amps, producing 30 watts.  At the maximum volume from the amp, the lamp would heat up and limit tweeter voltage, so you may hear a slight volume reduction, but the tweeter would be saved from destruction.  A cold lamp will have 10 to 15 times lower resistance than a fully hot bulb, so at low volumes a human would not be able to notice the loudness reduction. These lamps work well in a full range speaker cabinet, however, if the signal coming from the amp has mostly high frequencies, then the tweeter could see higher voltages, which could push it over its 30 Watt long-term power rating, or over its diaphragm excursion limit, and it might or might not survive, depending on the safety factor the manufacturer used.  Failure modes are 1) Mechanical, due to over-travel of the diaphragm causing fatigue cracks, or immediate tears, and 2) Thermal, overheating which melts the voice coil wires.  The lamps can be put in parallel for higher wattage tweeters, or multiple tweeters.  The best way to prevent tweeter damage is DO NOT DISTORT THEM.  If you hear distortion, turn it down.  Do not let idiots run your PA board in a band, turning the volume up until it distorts.  If it sounds bad, it IS bad. Use a power amp slightly higher rated than your speakers, as too small an amp will clip voltage at its DC power supply limit, stopping the speaker cone or diaphragm motion momentarily, reducing the reactive component of coil impedance, sending large DC overcurrent spikes into the speaker.  This will eventually destroy the speakers, and may blow the output transistors in the amp.  Or, set a smaller amp gain low enough not to clip. If a larger power amp is used, set the gain low enough that the pre-amp or mixer will never drive the speaker over its mechanical or thermal rating.  Overdriving the tweeter can also cause the same output stage failure on the amp. Most of this also applies to woofers, in a similar manner, although they are more robust than tweeters.  I welcome comments.  Thank you.

Edited by Sparky02 - 26 August 2017 at 1:45am
jj naz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jj naz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2016 at 4:11pm
Hi, I am not much of sound geek, need help, I have sound used in gig, passive Custom speakers 350w RMS 2 way, HF of 40w RMS, my crossover network don't have light fuse( bulb), hence had blown coils many times, need info. of the follow:
1). Could automotive bulb of 12v ....? W...amps? Do, if yes specify amps and watts
Also what is the calculation for above bulb type??.
2). Would DC protection circuit work for safe guarding speakers???
3). Read a post here for halogen bulb in series, how would one use it? Voltage? watts?
Thanks for all help rendered.

portapartyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote portapartyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2011 at 12:01pm
I've blown my lamps in my Wharfedale Lix Monitors a few times while ringing the system out. VERY annoying but atleast its only the lamp that blows!!! I now make sure I have plenty of lamps and my soldering iron at the ready.....hasn't happened for some time now but happened this summer at two consequitive gigs and had to adapt (bodge) some lamps out of the van.
Festival Asylum. Providing PA, Decor, services and entertainment to the UK festival market

www.festivalasylum.co.uk
CHAMPION View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAMPION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2011 at 11:37am
Heres some from Peavey Impulse 200 series...

Blown Poly-switch, Hi Freq Capacitor, and damage to the high power Resistors, Fuse was in tact !
No damage to the Mid or Compression .

Edited by CHAMPION - 22 December 2011 at 11:40am
Sticks n Stones
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2011 at 10:20am
**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 9:09pm
The EV drivers with the 1-1/4" coils usually use a 0.5A PTC to protect them in their factory crossovers.

The Speaker Exchange crossover shows a pair of 211-2 lamps in parallel, way too much current. One 211-2 would be more appropriate. The #1141 looks to be a better choice.

#211-2  I^2=1 works well with 8Ω drivers with 1" coils
#1141   I^2=2 works well with 8Ω drivers with 1-1/4" ~ 1-1/2"coils
#1156   I^2=4 works well with 8Ω drivers with 1-3/4" ~ 2"coils

Edited by _djk_ - 22 December 2011 at 10:02am
djk
Audio-kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audio-kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 6:18pm
i f i remember correct didnt peavey used to use a 2 way x over with a lamp type limiter fitted in them. sure they used to fit the same in the rcf/mackie pro touring rigs to.

Made me laugh that the customer in the ralier post thought it was some form of sound to light show. oh my dayz lol pmsl. honest. great stuff
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2011 at 11:32pm
Gotta say here, the lamp PTC limiter does work to a point, but if you've let the input signal clip you could have a waveform so loaded with harmonics the driver can never hope to re-produce the thing is gonna cook and die anyways....

They do help, my main experience of these is the Turbo TXD-530 (FK-88 is very similar) and I have replaced a lot of lamps but never a slot tweeter.....

:-)

kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2011 at 9:29pm
At the end of the day a bulb limiter is better than nothing, if it's sized such that it doesn't cause a nuisance anyway! I had a pair of nearly-new HiSys2 brought to me by a very glum chap who said they'd set up at a gig and the mics on stage had been allowed to squeal for 2 seconds during the sound check and the horns had popped before they could dive for the mixer. I examined them and the horns were fine, it was the lamps blown. 2 lamps later and he was a happy chappy.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

wayward91 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayward91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2011 at 9:10pm
i have some hk crossovers/speakers with a 18w 24v bulb on them . when its removed the horn is reduced in volume by a fair bit. im yet to discover if they work as a fuse.
Art Welter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Art Welter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2011 at 3:06am
Originally posted by tweeter box tweeter box wrote:

so if one wanted to put a fuse/bulb just before a comp to act as protection which fuse would be used?
would there be different fuses for diff watt intake?

The value of a fuse/lamp/bulb is dependent on the impedance curve and power rating of the driver used, crossover frequency and design,  and is only going to provide about a 3 dB reduction in power when lit.

If the "fuse" handles too little voltage, it will pop on peaks that the driver could handle.
If it handles too much voltage,  the result is like the OP's picture.

The OP's driver shattered the diaphragm before the voice coil burnt up.
It would have started to sound terrible at a much lower volume than needed to cause the destruction.

Edited by Art Welter - 16 December 2011 at 3:07am
tweeter box View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2011 at 9:43am
so if one wanted to put a fuse/bulb just before a comp to act as protection which fuse would be used?
would there be different fuses for diff watt intake?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>