Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glass Fuse/bulb Protection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAMPION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glass Fuse/bulb Protection
    Posted: 07 December 2011 at 4:00pm
Whats the point in putting a Quick Blow Glass Fuse on the cross over network of a mid/high speaker when it can not prevent the Compression Diaphragm from shorting out !

Edited by CHAMPION - 07 December 2011 at 4:29pm
Sticks n Stones
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2011 at 4:25pm
they're bulbs, not fuses.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2011 at 4:25pm
but you're right, should protect them really...
JohnnyPyro View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyPyro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2011 at 5:00pm
wrong wattage lamp me thinks .. lamps should blow way before the comp ... had them from new?
Pyrotechnics... its not rocket science, well.... actually it is !! :o)
Powered by MC2 & XTA
Herb-i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herb-i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2011 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

Correct fella...........
lgosdset View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgosdset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2011 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Herb-i Herb-i wrote:

Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

Correct fella...........

they are fuses weather they can be used as a light bulb or not, it performs the same function, as well as very basic limiting. Stop nit picking.

fuse

Noun:
  1. A safety device consisting of a thin strip of metal that melts and breaks an electric circuit if the current exceeds a safe level.

clearly they were not the correct rating.
chris_k View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2011 at 7:00pm
Not a bulb. People in the know call them lamps!
MessyM2k8 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MessyM2k8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2011 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by chris_k chris_k wrote:

Not a bulb. People in the know call them lamps!

this, you plant bulbs in the garden, ah how many times have we heard that one?
chris_k View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2011 at 7:21pm
Whenever I'm in the wholesalers and a member of the public comes in asking for bulbs, one guy behind the counter always says that. Every bloody time.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2011 at 8:08pm
I think it's an age thing. I call those bulbs and I call decorative table fixtures 'lamps' as in 'standard lamp' or 'bedside lamp'.

But this is well-trodden nonsense.

Those limiter lamps are meant to afford limiting. If they blow, you've ridden the limiter once too often.

Some manufacturers use fuses, some use bulbs, some use PTC thermistors (polyswitches), some use thermal breakers and some use sweet FA. I don't think they're designed to be fool proof, which is ironic in a way.

Yes, I have customers who think they have novel sound-to-light loudspeakers that are actually meant to flash to the bass beat as an attractive feature of their speakers. Honestly.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2011 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

Those limiter lamps are meant to afford limiting. If they blow, you've ridden the limiter once too often. 

Agreed - by the time there is enough voltage to blow the lamp / bulb / illumination device, it has well and truly gone past its limiting capability.  By the look of the shattered diaphragms. these boxes have been pushed way past what they were designed to do - simple abuse.....

Edited by Centauri - 07 December 2011 at 11:29pm
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 12:17am
ev diaphragms aren't cheap either..

are the bulbs blown?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>