Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

American Audio V6001 Plus ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sithresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: American Audio V6001 Plus ???
    Posted: 04 January 2012 at 10:50am
Hey guys, anyone know much about the American Audio V6001 Plus?

Found it online for £769... thats a cheap price for the amount of power you'd be getting!

Just wondered if anyone had any views on them and if they are a low brice due to very low quality!??

Would be interested to hear other suggestions of amps around 5000 watt at a good price please??

Thanks!
Si 
tweeter box View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2012 at 10:51am
isnt it a rebadged dynacord/ev? or am i thinking of something else
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2012 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by tweeter box tweeter box wrote:

I'm "sure" it's a rebadged Soundstandard 5K..

"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
sithresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sithresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2012 at 12:17pm
Not the best then. But reckon its worth it for the price? or just better off paying that little bit more?
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2012 at 12:22pm
For £750, you could find Crest CA18/MA5000VZ.

There are chinese torroidials better than those at 4 ohms... Wink
sithresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sithresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2012 at 12:28pm
Yeah so i see! Thanks.

If you see or hear of any going, give me a shout. thanks!
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2012 at 12:49pm
If it is a soundstandard,4 o hm a side will defo sound better than crown,i have a sim amp and have ran it 2.6 ohm a side without probs,flat out to but 4 drivers a side may be pushing it but i.have.heard one on.xbs as well 2 side and didnt think it had much balls

Edited by paulus - 04 January 2012 at 12:51pm
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
RosscoPico View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RosscoPico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2012 at 3:02am
That's interesting Paulus, but actually I don't think it is...

So maybe that's due the the fact that some Crown's like the MA5000 series have high distortion in the low frequency range (e.g. 7.4%THD @40Hz / 8ohms / 1540w), see here;

http://www.abeltronics.co.uk/amptesting.php?z=crown_MA5002VZ

You're thinking of something else I think....can you suggest a model which it is comparable to?

Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

I'm "sure" it's a rebadged Soundstandard 5K..

How are you sure about this?

Do you mean the 5kW Soundstandard which is listed here;

I noticed that the damping Factor and Slew rate are different for example, plus the Soundstandard is an additional 9Kgs so I don't see how it can be a re-badge.  Maybe it could derive from the same factory, but then I'd want to see some thread of evidence to suggest this.

Unless you're talking about a different amp of course?

Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

For £750, you could find Crest CA18/MA5000VZ.

I can sell the V6001 brand new with manufacturer's warranty for well under £750, but I'm not saying that buying used amps is a bad choice - just I don't think sithresh should rule out the V6001 so easily!

For instance, I've been using 4x V6001s which I've been using on a regular (weekly) basis for the last year or two and I've not had a single issue with them to date.

I can't say how well they cope long term with being run @2 ohms but then I would always avoid doing that anyway....

Originally posted by sithresh sithresh wrote:

Yeah so i see! Thanks.

If you see or hear of any going, give me a shout. thanks!

Leyvete and I have already had a debate about this amp in the past, check out this thread here (and you can also see the V6001's internals)...

I should really get one sent off to Lewis Abel for testing and see what his bench tests results are like!

There's plenty in stock if you need any, and PM me if you want to know the price I can offer them forWink

I know I sell these (as an authorised dealer), but I confident to say that I think they are a very good amp - especially for the money.  That's why I've bought them to run my rig with.  Even running them flat out all night and they don't even get very warm, as the cooling is very good on them.

Downsides are that they come with a 12mth warranty (but what would you expect for the price?), but in the US they are given 3yrs warranty....

Also they are heavy (38Kgs) but that's what you'd expect from a toroidal amp(!)

Ross

Edited by RosscoPico - 23 January 2012 at 3:35am
.:ELEMENT 5 SYSTEMS:.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RosscoPico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2012 at 3:46am
In total I've got around 15-20 American Audio amps units now!

Here's a pic of a few stacked up.

Edited by RosscoPico - 24 January 2012 at 5:22pm
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2012 at 4:37am
Originally posted by RosscoPico RosscoPico wrote:

Leyvete and I have already had a debate about this amp in the past, check out this thread here (and you can also see the V6001's internals)...

Yes I remember, even though that was a while ago..

Point I'm making here, there are a lot of options around, if you have £750 quid to spend.

£750 will buy quality used amp, or premier Chinese amp like Naphon or even better. Wink

Edited by levyte357 - 23 January 2012 at 4:37am
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RosscoPico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2012 at 9:51am
Okay sure, but here's the point I'm trying to make....

I appreciate that you don't like the V6001 very much (for whatever reason), but I'm still yet unable to assertain a good reason why from you....

Can you explain please, how is the Naphon better for example...and also, does this brand have a UK distributor with backup services (otherwise that would rule it out for me)?

What issues do you have with this American Audio amp - it is related to the brand, the contruction, the performance, the components etc?

Am just really curious to know now (especially as I never got to figure that out from you last time around)!

Mainly because that in my mind, I think that it is is a very good amp for the money and I've always been more than satisfied with the build quality, performance, sound quality and reliability of them.

Are there any other V6001 users / owners out there who can also give their input on this?

Edited by RosscoPico - 23 January 2012 at 9:52am
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2012 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by RosscoPico RosscoPico wrote:

Okay sure, but here's the point I'm trying to make....

I appreciate that you don't like the V6001 very much (for whatever reason), but I'm still yet unable to assertain a good reason why from you....

Can you explain please, how is the Naphon better for example...and also, does this brand have a UK distributor with backup services (otherwise that would rule it out for me)?

What issues do you have with this American Audio amp - it is related to the brand, the contruction, the performance, the components etc?

Am just really curious to know now (especially as I never got to figure that out from you last time around)!

Mainly because that in my mind, I think that it is is a very good amp for the money and I've always been more than satisfied with the build quality, performance, sound quality and reliability of them.

Are there any other V6001 users / owners out there who can also give their input on this?

Hi mate, have no issue with AA V6001 amp, or heard about anyone who has had an issue with it.

"If" it is one of the Soundstandard CA18 5K clones (of which I have seen hundreds of internal pics), upgrading various sections of the amp,  will make it very robust, even for Roots/Dub use.

Chinese amps I class as premier, are amps not just copies of CA18,  with cut price o/p trannies or components, but with plenty of transformer + smoothing + quality o/p trannies + high power regulators, to be reliable at least in 4 ohm stereo.

Have seen, heard, owned Naphons, and can tell you is first chinese CA18 clone amp I've heard which has more power than CA18/MA5000VZ in 8ohm/4ohm stereo, and more efficient.

Edited by levyte357 - 23 January 2012 at 12:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>