Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Events and Ting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SOUNDSYSTEM SOUND-OFF FEBRUARY 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2012 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Fada Rebbs Fada Rebbs wrote:

I firmly say PA in the true sense of Jamaican sound system but is a PA not another word for sound system!!?

Whoa !!

Forgive me for "poking my nose in" here .... and I prolly really can't speak with any kind of authority here as a white English boy who's never been in Jamaica (but have spent time in the West Indies) ... Now I've spent time around Jamaican-style systems long time .... so here's my take on this ....

Differences between PA system and Jamaican-style sound system

A PA system is designed for a different kind of event really. The agenda includes running as a business to hopefully make a bit of money. The event generally assumes an audience standing or seated facing the stage, and you want to (as well as possible) "cover" the crowd. Also high on the agenda is practicalities of setup, storage, logistics - to be handled by as small a crew as possible. Also you generally need to be SEEN to be "professional" - in some scenarios you need "rider friendly" gear etc.
Generally you're aiming for a flat, controllable sound that adapts to varied types of music, venue, crowd.

A Jamaican sound system (I'm talking traditionally here) is a (usually local) COMMUNITY event. That means the sound system guys, the helpers, the artists, MCs, the promoters, the venue, and the crowd generally know each other well. Certainly in Jamaica back in the day - size, weight, transport, storage etc. are simply not an issue - e.g. if wardrobe-size boxes are/were what it takes to get the sound right - so be it. If that means you need extra muscle/whatever to move it, handle it - no problems - plenty of willing strong youths from the community for that. You not paying them a "wage" - it doesn't really affect the economics of the event.
The layout tends to be different. In this country at least, (again I'm talking traditionally - back in the day) the typical venue would be "community centre" style .... various rooms/areas ... all generations involved - old boys sitting around playing cards/dominoes drinking rum etc. :-) , food cooking somewhere around ..... other little rooms or alcoves for quieter times, talking. chatting up the gal etc. :-) ..... so the idea is - yeah - if you wanna catch the full force of the mid/top sound you hang by the speakers - otherwise you go hang elsewhere to drink/eat/smoke etc ..... the sound system is NOT trying to soak the whole area in sound.
And of course the overall sound is pretty much tailored to one kind of music (mebbe with sub-genres like dub etc.) - hence the use of "reggae pre-amps" with FX etc.

Of course in the 21st century, Jamaican-style systems have to compromise and live with the limiations of venues, economics of big systems, beauracracies .... and big up the younger guys who are trying to keep those traditions alive.

[End of essay] :-) .... my 2p worth anyway.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Motion54 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motion54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2012 at 11:55am
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Originally posted by Motion54 Motion54 wrote:

Without, turning it into a debate, I would just like to say the boxes above belong to a gospel sound who by talking to them, I realised they are a band too.
It was their 1st outing ever!!!!
Their system would suit the church environment more than any of the other stacks that were present on the day.

Think about it for a second!!!!

Yep, the above is true, even though most church systems would have stronger mid section..

That was simply a matter of tuning. Freq cutoff shouldve been lower to meet subs in my opinion!
They called me yesterday and want to come back in as they believe they know what they did wrong.
Looks like they are getting what they came in Soundoff for!!!
crucial View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crucial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2012 at 12:43pm

Without, turning it into a debate, I would just like to say the boxes above belong to a gospel sound who by talking to them, I realised they are a band too.
It was their 1st outing ever!!!!
Their system would suit the church environment more than any of the other stacks that were present on the day.

Think about it for a second!!!!

Yep, the above is true, even though most church systems would have stronger mid section..

That was simply a matter of tuning. Freq cutoff shouldve been lower to meet subs in my opinion!
They called me yesterday and want to come back in as they believe they know what they did wrong.
Looks like they are getting what they came in Soundoff for!!!

Excellent, exactly what sound-off is primarily for. I would also love to know which church allows them to play out with 4 mini scoops! LOL Thumbs Up
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2012 at 12:52pm
I thought scoops in Jamaica were banned because of noise complaints? 
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2012 at 1:00pm

That was simply a matter of tuning.

Believe, their mid section needed more drivers and power not tuning. 3x 2x15"+2" reflex as a simple minimalist approach would have kept up.  Some Church systems would have 2x15"+comp reflex per sub.

Trust me on this, have much experience dealing with church systems, ask Quadro. Wink
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
bucky d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bucky d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2012 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by ermita ermita wrote:

Pics from last night.Wink

The Promoters

KILLER INSTINCT

HAWKEYE EXPERIENCE

CRUCIAL HI-FI

GRACE BY FAITH PROMOTIONS

and......

Big up to all the sounds on this one ..am sorry I missed this one Cry Hey Hawkeye don't you just love that CREST 9001................. Clap and Barracuda Pre amp as well Big smile
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2012 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

Ey ? Can't be serious - surely ? ... I'd have thought some fella with a clipboard turning up and telling a sound to turn down or telling em how to setup, can't do bla bla  etc. would be chased off down the road by cutlass-wielding, pissed off guys. (cutlass=local parlance for machete) It would be like something out of a Tom & Jerry cartoon ....

Little story from my stay in Grenada last year ....

My mate + me were driving back from somewhere local .... he spotted a mate he hadn't seen for a while who has a bar there - bit off the main drag - early Monday evening - pretty quiet. So we go get a beer in his bar ... bit to eat also .... just yacking ....
Anyway - conversation pretty soon turns to the speaker stack in the back of the bar - 4 scoops + coupla kick bins + some kinda tops with piezos ... pretty naff tbh - bit soundlab-ish :-/ .... obviously not used very often though. Anyway  I mention my laptop with plenty reggae music + virtual DJ etc. (which I happen to have with me :-) ) - he - being an old fella like us - never really used computers - didn't know much about it.
Well - we scared up a mini-jack->RCA cable and plugged it into his little DJ mixer and fired it up.

Now this is a pretty quiet neighbourhood really - especially on a Monday evening :-)
I was expecting him to say "need to keep it down a bit" ..... but errr... nope :-)
Even though this setup was a bit on the naff side, it was about 2-3kW I think, and he didn't spare the gain. So I showed him briefly how VDJ works .... he got the idea pretty fast .... he was loving it :-)

Now a few faces popped out onto the balconies of the neighbouring houses - approvng smiles - well the older folk are more likely to approve of the old 70s sweet reggae ..... few peeps come around and lime close by to listen a bit ..... not a HINT of a complaint .....

Thing is - music is totoally endemic in the way of life in the West Indoes - its EVERYWHERE.
I'd imagine if someone has banned scoops at some place some time there'll be another agenda going on there ....

Edited by slaz - 14 February 2012 at 3:10pm
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2012 at 4:30pm

But in my opinion, Grace by Faith Had the strongest sub on the night. It could be heard and felt everywhere.

+1

Personally the overall best sub-bass out of the 4 stacks this night!

Funny enough, the system who used to use/own them didn't make them sound like that, & a few of us were wondering why ? LOL

**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2012 at 4:34pm

Originally posted by paulus paulus wrote:

were the ligwa minis fane loaded?1000s or 1500?

Rumour has it they were 1000s.

yep, 1000's!

Not bad eh?

Anyone fancy buying an odd one of these scoops unloaded ?

**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2012 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Tekasis Tekasis wrote:

Funny enough, the system who used to use/own them didn't make them sound like that, & a few of us were wondering why ? LOL

Maybe because he didn't have one of these sub amps (Note the gain knobs),

I also don't remember seeing pre-amp on their set.

So what would have happened, if they had Mostek or Barrcuda Pre-amp like everyone else !!!? LOL

Edited by levyte357 - 14 February 2012 at 4:58pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2012 at 4:40am
Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

Ey ? Can't be serious - surely ? ... I'd have thought some fella with a clipboard turning up and telling a sound to turn down or telling em how to setup, can't do bla bla  etc. would be chased off down the road by cutlass-wielding, pissed off guys. (cutlass=local parlance for machete) It would be like something out of a Tom & Jerry cartoon ....

Little story from my stay in Grenada last year ....

My mate + me were driving back from somewhere local .... he spotted a mate he hadn't seen for a while who has a bar there - bit off the main drag - early Monday evening - pretty quiet. So we go get a beer in his bar ... bit to eat also .... just yacking ....
Anyway - conversation pretty soon turns to the speaker stack in the back of the bar - 4 scoops + coupla kick bins + some kinda tops with piezos ... pretty naff tbh - bit soundlab-ish :-/ .... obviously not used very often though. Anyway  I mention my laptop with plenty reggae music + virtual DJ etc. (which I happen to have with me :-) ) - he - being an old fella like us - never really used computers - didn't know much about it.
Well - we scared up a mini-jack->RCA cable and plugged it into his little DJ mixer and fired it up.

Now this is a pretty quiet neighbourhood really - especially on a Monday evening :-)
I was expecting him to say "need to keep it down a bit" ..... but errr... nope :-)
Even though this setup was a bit on the naff side, it was about 2-3kW I think, and he didn't spare the gain. So I showed him briefly how VDJ works .... he got the idea pretty fast .... he was loving it :-)

Now a few faces popped out onto the balconies of the neighbouring houses - approvng smiles - well the older folk are more likely to approve of the old 70s sweet reggae ..... few peeps come around and lime close by to listen a bit ..... not a HINT of a complaint .....

Thing is - music is totoally endemic in the way of life in the West Indoes - its EVERYWHERE.
I'd imagine if someone has banned scoops at some place some time there'll be another agenda going on there ....
it was mentioned on here a while ago from Jamaican members/member
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2012 at 4:44am
........not necessarily scoops, just noise pollution and they switched to T-18 designs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>