Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Events and Ting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SOUNDSYSTEM SOUND-OFF FEBRUARY 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motion54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2012 at 3:47pm
Some low res pics i took on my iphone have been uploaded until Ermita sends over his top quality versions.

You can find them at the beginning of thread here:-
crucial View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crucial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2012 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Originally posted by Preacher Preacher wrote:

Crucial done good, nice balance on most tunes, though a couple were a bit off slightly, but that can probably be down to the actual press/tune. Turbomax drivers were doing good things in the steve B's, couple of times they were a bit flappy, but again prob' down to the actual tune. So a very very good showing on a first outing.

Not really gonna compare the sounds this time round, will let someone else do that.

But I "heard" Crucial's scoops were not SteveBs.

Also, didn't really hear many deep notes from the Crucial stack, and as I know the Tmax 1000s can do it, and "if" they are the scoops I "think", that combo can definitely do it.

So I "presumed" a technical somewhere, was preventing the real ground splitting sub, the previous owners of the cabs could produce.

Big respect to all soundsystems, promoters and soundmen for attending. This was my first gig with the system in its latest form, and was definitely a good learning experience! I'm not going to comment on other sounds as that wouldn't be fair, but I'll talk about my sound:

Got really good comments on the clarity of the mid/tops, and I'm actually surprised at how well the angled front facing mids filled the room! I was also personally pleased with the double 15's on mid-bass, because they have a much warmer sound than HD's which I have experience of.

Coming back to the scoops, Lev you are absolutely right, there was not enough 30-40hz low bass going on, and several people spoke to me about that. There were a few theories but I *think* it came down to lack of power. For most of the night, my bass amp (Wattson 2k per side/4 ohms) was clipping and when I tried to push it more, the scoops started to "choke". One man suggested it might be a phasing issue which I tried to investigate, but that didn't seem to be the case. Either way, I'm going to test out the scoops again before BNE to find out properly.

I appreciate the constructive feedback, so please people don't hold back! I really need comments like these to perfect the art of sound Thumbs Up
tweeter box View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2012 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by crucial crucial wrote:

Crucial done good, nice balance on most tunes, though a couple were a bit off slightly, but that can probably be down to the actual press/tune. Turbomax drivers were doing good things in the steve B's, couple of times they were a bit flappy, but again prob' down to the actual tune. So a very very good showing on a first outing.

Not really gonna compare the sounds this time round, will let someone else do that.

Also, didn't really hear many deep notes from the Crucial stack, and as I know the Tmax 1000s can do it, and "if" they are the scoops I "think", that combo can definitely do it.

So I "presumed" a technical somewhere, was preventing the real ground splitting sub, the previous owners of the cabs could produce.

Big respect to all soundsystems, promoters and soundmen for attending. This was my first gig with the system in its latest form, and was definitely a good learning experience! I'm not going to comment on other sounds as that wouldn't be fair, but I'll talk about my sound:

Got really good comments on the clarity of the mid/tops, and I'm actually surprised at how well the angled front facing mids filled the room! I was also personally pleased with the double 15's on mid-bass, because they have a much warmer sound than HD's which I have experience of.

Coming back to the scoops, Lev you are absolutely right, there was not enough 30-40hz low bass going on, and several people spoke to me about that. There were a few theories but I *think* it came down to lack of power. For most of the night, my bass amp (Wattson 2k per side/4 ohms) was clipping and when I tried to push it more, the scoops started to "choke". One man suggested it might be a phasing issue which I tried to investigate, but that didn't seem to be the case. Either way, I'm going to test out the scoops again before BNE to find out properly.

I appreciate the constructive feedback, so please people don't hold back! I really need comments like these to perfect the art of sound Thumbs Up

Crucial - mids n tops were very impressive, surprised at how they filled the room so easily without getting stressed, bass amp is no way powerful enough for them drivers, not sure the box is suitable for the drivers either as they seemed to choke quiet easily and alot of cone movement but still just enough to fill the room, upper bass sounding nice with a decent throw, nice tune selection, well dont for your first outing Clap

Hawkeye - mids sounding nice, didnt really likee the tops, your bass impressed me alot, perfectly level sound not missing any notes, also nice tune selection Clap

the sound using the shortman minis with fane (what i heard) sounded good on bass, didnt really like the look or the sound from the rest of the uumm stack, alot of frequency missing

well done all sounds and keep it up promotors Clap

this threads not the same without soundcritics review, pity you werent there Wink

Edited by tweeter box - 13 February 2012 at 4:03pm
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2012 at 4:07pm

Good Attitude.Clap

EDIT:First Outing ? Well done for not panicking.

Music selection was good, Sound of mids tops was clear and loud, considering not horn louded.

Were those Ex Kibir scoops or SteveBs ?

Sounded more like sub control on Pre-amp was swept high, or maybe scoops were being given upper bass. Have you previously tested Pre amp to confrim 100% operation?

Edited by levyte357 - 13 February 2012 at 4:11pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
crucial View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crucial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2012 at 4:14pm

Good Attitude.Clap

Music selection was good, Sound of mids tops was clear and loud, considering not horn louded.

Were those Ex Kibir scoops or SteveBs ?

Sounded more like sub control on Pre-amp was swept high, or maybe scoops were being given upper bass. Have you previously tested Pre amp to confrim 100% operation?

These were Kibir La Amlaks. Scoops were definitely being fed sub, and tried adjusting EQ on sub with some help from Luke Ballistic but didn't seem to make a difference, mostly because the amp had already pretty much maxed out.

One thing that I just realised might make a difference is that all the drivers were re-coned prior to selling to me, because at their last gig Kibir La Amlak had some dubstep kids playing on it and they blew all the drivers! I understand t1000's need a bit of wearing in before they reach their full potential so maybe this also has something to do with it?
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2012 at 4:25pm

One thing that I just realised might make a difference is that all the drivers were re-coned prior to selling to me, because at their last gig Kibir La Amlak had some dubstep kids playing on it and they blew all the drivers! I understand t1000's need a bit of wearing in before they reach their full potential so maybe this also has something to do with it?

http://chzhistoriclols.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/funny-pictures-history-whoop-there-it-is.jpg
crucial View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crucial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2012 at 4:30pm

http://chzhistoriclols.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/funny-pictures-history-whoop-there-it-is.jpg

LOL

Any ideas on how long it takes to wear them in? 20 hours?
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2012 at 4:35pm

Any ideas on how long it takes to wear them in? 20 hours?

PM Marvin/RMJ.

Turbo loosening time by sine waves can vary.

Fada Rebbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fada Rebbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2012 at 4:52pm
4 sounds in the lawn only one in the arena Killer Instinct had none good music but if it were me I'd start from scratch and rebuild! Next up Grace By Faith nice looking set good bass messy tops n mids could have sounded a lot better considering the amount of shop bought in the rack but I also understand that this was the sounds first ever outing so fair play to them. Crucial Hi Fi the most compact set on site nice round bass clean tops n mids good music too!
That leaves the sound that turned the venue from a hall into the arena Hawkeye Expeirnce. And by that I mean that instead of standing in front of the stack man had to stand back and admire! The bass resembled an earthquake at times crisp and tight the clean mids and tops (take note) a good pre-amp is at the heart of every good sound system and it's certainly true here. Good music and a good rapport just set it off. Hawkeye Experience number one sound in the lawn outperformed all of the sounds effortlessly maybe next time might be an idea to match them with a more experienced sound.
Big up all crews taking part but at the end of the day there was only one sound Hawkeye Experience.
Bless
Fada Rebbs
the Boss Rebbs Records
SURFA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SURFA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2012 at 6:01pm
< = =text/ ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Originally posted by tweeter box tweeter box wrote:

Crucial - mids n tops were very impressive, surprised at how they filled the room so easily without getting stressed, bass amp is no way powerful enough for them drivers, not sure the box is suitable for the drivers either as they seemed to choke quiet easily and alot of cone movement but still just enough to fill the room, upper bass sounding nice with a decent throw, nice tune selection, well dont for your first outing Clap

Hawkeye - mids sounding nice, didnt really likee the tops, your bass impressed me alot, perfectly level sound not missing any notes, also nice tune selection Clap

the sound using the shortman minis with fane (what i heard) sounded good on bass, didnt really like the look or the sound from the rest of the uumm stack, alot of frequency missing

well done all sounds and keep it up promotors Clap

this threads not the same without soundcritics review, pity you werent there Wink
  TWEETER, No shortmans minis.. it was ligwa minis....
LIGWA View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LIGWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2012 at 6:53pm
Tweeter you need to go to spec savers

Next time I will make the logo bigger for you lol!!!!
ermita View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ermita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2012 at 7:04pm
Pics from last night.Wink

The Promoters

KILLER INSTINCT

HAWKEYE EXPERIENCE

CRUCIAL HI-FI

GRACE BY FAITH PROMOTIONS

and......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>