Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

One for ColinT JW Parkers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhamplification Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One for ColinT JW Parkers
    Posted: 14 January 2012 at 6:00pm
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2012 at 10:48pm
Disco International magazine around about 1980 I believe!
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2012 at 1:29am
Bloody hell! That was a time ago, JP sadly died of pancreatic cancer last year but he left his mark on the audio industry in a big way, he was the first to rent what was then hi quality kit to pubs against everyone's advise, The result was 1500 rental sites in London alone and all from that little shop.
John was indeed a very shrewd businessman.  
The only thing wrong with that review is we never did stock GLI stuff we used to buy it in from Greg James. 
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2012 at 9:10am
Great find Martin.

Im liking the last photo of the shop inside,i spy a pair of citronic consoles on their purple carry cases on the floor,and next to them a rack of five HH amps in that chrome tubular stand they used to do.

Is that you perusing the consoles in the flares Colin? Wink
Be seeing you.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2012 at 9:44am
LOL

No afraid not Ian (I think it could be Alan one of the other engineers) 
that shop was a gold mine for gear JP carried a level of stock like I've never seen since, the amount of different brands was unreal.
Citronic & HH where the main sellers but the was also Martin audio, Altec and Renkus horns and drivers, RCF drivers KT processing, Fane, Bose, Toa the list was pretty much endless.
Add to that He also bought CDC for all the big club system a little later it was a mamouth business all run from one little shop (but also had 2 x warehouses and a woodwork shop) and all run by one person. (no wonder he had no hair!!!) 
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2012 at 10:04am
Have made it a bit larger,so can get a better view....can see a HH s500d in its transit case in the foregound....also one of those mystery vaned horn flares that seemed to crop up a lot.....a copy of the  more expensive Altec flare...these ones were Celestion? Some w-bins in the backgound (citronic?),interesting gear on the shelf above too,big Orange valve amp,more HH on the top shelf? Looked a great place.

Be seeing you.
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2012 at 10:40am

Brings back lovely memories of wandering round shops like that in my youth. So much nicer than browsing online retailers.

I think that there was at the time two manufacturer of the mystery vaned horn flare – RCF and Celestion. I used to have the RCF horns with the obligatory TW101 driver. I believe that the one in the picture was Celestion because their vanes had a flatter front, the RCF being more curved.

The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2012 at 11:15am
Spot the typo in the first pic.
It just is.
Mhamplification View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhamplification Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2012 at 11:20am
Hope you all liked the article theres more to come too
Yes its from a December 1979 Disco International magazine
The consoles on the floor on the purple cases are a Kansas and a  Delaware Under the Hawaii is a pair of CCM/Citronic 2 x 12" DC  cabs
Should have put a quiz up to see who can spot the most gear  I never noticed the Orange valve amp before Ian mentioned it  i expect all the Citronic kit takes my Eye
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2012 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Nachural Nachural wrote:

Brings back lovely memories of wandering round shops like that in my youth. So much nicer than browsing online retailers.

Absolutely Chris.
Or the modern disco/dj shop,which is just full of cheap nasty chinese rubbish,designed to last one month after the warranty runs out.

Here is another lovely old shop,this was Soundwave in Romford,from around 1978,it was crammed to the ceiling with all sorts of exotic gear from back then.

Be seeing you.
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2012 at 10:04am

I wonder if John (Robbo) has any pictures of his Wolverhampton shop? It was truly an Aladdin’s cave of treasures!

burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2012 at 10:21am
Ian, that picture has so much treasure in it!
music is the message
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>