Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stacking 1850s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 12:58pm
hmm just a thought [so i shouldnt panic if there is a gap inbetween my horns that isnt big enough to say slide my finger into, i dont wanna blow my rig up in the middle of a teknival]
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 1:31pm
you'll get less loss of power through vibrations if your horns are not ratchet strapped together ridiculously tightly in one big block, so its best if they are as close to touching as is feasibly possible.

Edited by biotec - 20 April 2006 at 10:46am
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 2:09pm

Originally posted by biotec biotec wrote:

you'll get less loss of power through vibrations if your horns are ratchet strapped together ridiculously tightly in one big block, so its best if they are as close to touching as is feasibly possible.

i diid assume having the rig as tightly stacked as is poss [and not just because it looks good] has its advantages, just wondering how much so

also if you have say 8 186/1850 horns would stacking them 2 heigh and 4 wide in tall [ie so they are stacked tall] make any difference to them stacked on their side? [ie more floor surface area, howether upright they have the same footprint as the mt102 and the 12" version were trying to build]

JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 10:54pm
It makes no difference if they are tightly packed and held together or not. The momentum of the impuls caused by the cone movement adds up, and so does the weight of the speaker boxes.
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2006 at 4:46am

Originally posted by JD01 JD01 wrote:

It makes no difference if they are tightly packed and held together or not. The momentum of the impuls caused by the cone movement adds up, and so does the weight of the speaker boxes.

Believe me we've tried it with these boxes and it definately makes a difference with 1.2k+ into each box. Without a good tight strap round them you get excessive vibrations that rattles the mid-tops as well as the bins themselves causing resonances in every panel in every speaker which has any chance of resonating. As you say its possible that it doesn't make a difference to overall efficiency but it sounds like sh*t and a find it hard to believe that all that vibrating wood is not loosing any power in terms of spl.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2006 at 9:08am
just out of interest does the effect of coupling [ie the ability to get a little lower with a larger number of cabs put together] affect how heigh a cab will play before it will start to sound shoddy? [im guessing it doesnt but]
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2006 at 10:35am

@ biotec: Of course it will rattle everything. And I of course strap my boxes too. But this is because the boxes start moving around (and not always the same direction) if I don't strap them. Differences in output weren't noticeable.

But I understood from your last post that you are against strapping. I think you forgot a 'not' somewhere then.

@ coner: As long as you have high BL, high EBP speakers in your basshorns you can stack a lot before it affects the upper frequency cutoff. But with speakers with EBP around 100 or slightly above you will 'overload' the speakers by stacking too much. The sound will get a bit mushy then starting with the lowmids. If you stack even more this will get to bass too. This is because the speaker hasn't the power to move the cone like it should when the radiation resistance gets too high.

biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2006 at 10:47am

Originally posted by JD01 JD01 wrote:

But I understood from your last post that you are against strapping. I think you forgot a 'not' somewhere then.

oops! duly edited

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2006 at 10:53am
im guessing that your stretching the band width the heigher and lower you try to go at same time with same cab, and obviusly to an extent, the shorter the bandwidth of a cab the better it will sound [to an extent] but i suppose i dont have to worry with 4<8 cabs.
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2006 at 5:58pm
Not exactly. If a cab can only playback a small bandwidth and you use that full bandwidth it won't sound as good as a cab with a broader bandwidth which isn't used to the full extent. It is adviced that a cab should be able to play one full octave more than you want to use it. So if you want to use a bass cabinet to 200Hz, it should play up to 400Hz without problems. Especially in bass range this is pretty important, because one way of getting rid of that 'rule of thumb' is to use high slopes on the drossover, but this will introduce high groupdelays in bassrange.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2006 at 12:35pm

[QUOTE=JD01]Not exactly. If a cab can only playback a small bandwidth and you use that full bandwidth it won't sound as good as a cab with a broader bandwidth which isn't used to the full extent. It is adviced that a cab should be able to play one full octave more than you want to use it.

thats basicaly what i meant [but you explained it alot clearer]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12