Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ev Eliminator1A's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ev Eliminator1A's
    Posted: 18 January 2012 at 9:02pm
well i am sitting here in my chalet after much sking and beer! and have made a monumental decision, when i get back to the uk in a week or so,s time and the weather improvesLOL i am going to dig out the vintage plans for these cabs and recreate my youth, and build two if not four of these! where i'll get the horns i dont know but i have got four mckenzie c15 15" 400w bass drivers knocking about in exelant order,
any comments appreciated and no offence taken in advance.
Tim A.K.A
bobcat Big smile 
Cheers And Thanks For comin!
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2012 at 9:06pm
Just do it - stop thinking about it - just do it!

Oh, and don't bank too much on the weather improving!, it's a tad parky.

Greg
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
bobcat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2012 at 9:23pm
Hi Greg A tad parky it''s been -14 here all day but absolutly lovely, by the way did you ever here the ev's in action back in the 80's we used four of them 2 a sid erunning of an hh s500d and then they were very loud and i still have the hh in my shed allthough it needs repair.
Tim  
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2012 at 9:27pm
Well what ever you do,dont send it to MAJ to be repaired!
Be seeing you.
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2012 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

LOL +1 on that one - send it to Martin (MHamplification), he'll get it sorted and actually send it back to you as a 'worker'.

And, yes, I did get to experience what I now know to have been the EV's - one of the club's I frequented (and the memory isn't what it used to be) was kitted out with them, driven by a couple of RSD's as I recall.  Always way, way beyond the reach of my wallet tho.

Go on, build them (and perhaps share the plans and/or build pics?)

Greg 
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
bobcat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2012 at 10:03pm
Yes i was amazed to read aout MAJ as Micheal amerson has always had a good rep, and as for repairing it And no offence to martin of MH aplification i will repair it myself,( cos i can) P.S Martin sa boards await you,
i actualy bought the dvr pvb's from Maj two years ago as the ones on my sd are potted and one caught fire and ignited the bass dvr of one of the Ev'swhen the amp went DC around 1991!fire extinguisher reqd..
Tim
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2012 at 10:23pm
Mckenzie? I said Mckenzie?

If a jobs worth doing Tim it's worth better than that.

I fixed loads of Eliminators years ago ( and 500D's). The last 4 ones were fitted with Beyma G400's and Beyma 600TI comps. They were well loud at the time, with 18" subs, BSS, SR808 & SR707. Fun times.
Billy Dawg.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2012 at 1:15am
hmm i have 4 of these to get rid of... http://imgur.com/a/zhjjJ#0
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2012 at 8:36am
Those  Mckenzie's always had a more, "open" sounding midrange than the Fanes of the time. Fane was smoother. As you may be trying to get vocal, or at least some vocal out of that horn the  Mckenzie may be a good choice?
It just is.
service dept Steve View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2012 at 9:37am
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Dead
We are not "They", We are "The others"http://www.servicedept.co.uk -
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2012 at 10:48am
Look in good condition Cavings.  An old mucker of mine says he has a few eliminators stashed in a barn and would dig them out, wonder what they are loaded with.
music is the message
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2012 at 9:55am
In the original Eliminator 1a, the mid horn was mounted horizontally - IIRC EV suggested that it was because of (one of) the intended use as a guitar/instrument cab which required vertical dispersion- but apparently, at the frequencies it was used, the horn showed pattern flip so should really have been mounted vertically to give broad horizontal dispersion. I doubt whether the same horn/tweeter arrangement would be used nowdays, but worth keeping in mind.
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>