Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ɤɤɤ Show Off Your Custom Subwoofer(s) ɤɤɤ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RosscoPico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ɤɤɤ Show Off Your Custom Subwoofer(s) ɤɤɤ
    Posted: 24 January 2012 at 3:57am

This thread is for "one-off" custom subs - they could be new concept designs, install subs and special boxes that have been constructed...

Please show us what you've done and include a brief description if possible!

Edited by RosscoPico - 04 November 2012 at 11:59pm
.:ELEMENT 5 SYSTEMS:.
RosscoPico View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RosscoPico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2012 at 4:07am

Okay I'll start....

So this was a dual 12" loaded bandpass cabinet which was used for an install in a music venue a few years back and with specific dimensions so that it fit under a custom built stage for the bands to play etc.  If was a special "one-off" of course, and due to the decent internal volume of the cabinet it had a decent bass response and a healthy amount of output at low frequencies.

18mm MDF was used as the construction material as it was protected under the stage and would not need to be moved around the venue.

Edited by RosscoPico - 24 January 2012 at 4:35am
Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2012 at 9:33am
A couple of single 10"(Beyma 10G40) FLH subs I did for a mate about 6 years ago - pretty solid to 40Hz, but not very efficient due to compact size.  Sounded pretty good with a bit of EQ.

View of the internals before the side panel went on.  There is nearly a full spiral of horn path behind the baffle panel, before it expands out to the full cabinet width at the front - to fit the path length required.

Would be good in a block of 6 per side, but won't be making any more - way too complex, but an interesting experiment.

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RosscoPico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2012 at 2:21pm
Sure I see, a lot of work has obviously gone into that!  An interesting design, so good post..

p.s. I like the little added features to the bracing, hatch and internal edges.
Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2012 at 3:50am
What, no one else got something interesting ??
Dref View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dref Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2012 at 7:32pm
Okay I will start out small. I built this some years ago because I got this crate from rocket engines and thought it could be cool as a subwoofer:

So I designed a tapped horn which could fit in it. Here is a 1W/1m sim compared with 4 closed boxes with same volume(~50L) and woofer each:

I started by disassembling it completely and glue all the joints. A building picture:

And the final result:

Placed in a corner it plays well below 40Hz and it sound very lovelySmile
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RosscoPico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2012 at 2:28am
Nice idea Dref and good to see that it good LF extension for its size.  Recycling is the way forward these days....fair play to you sir!

Okay, so here's a "one-off" mini ported-horn subwoofer which is just to give the DJ a good amount of air movement between their legs and to keep the groin area cool and well circulated....

A slightly slow starter maybe (this thread I mean...) but do please keep them coming and see if we can get some more momentum here....Smile
t.geessounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.geessounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2012 at 3:00am
there is a 12" cerwin vaga i did by just convert the measuring for a 12 no sim or nothing play realy nice just for a little house system....lol
load the the Eminence Delta-12LFA  am still alive up to now 3 year playin off a berhinger 2500 an a dcx 45-120hz
Dref View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dref Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2012 at 9:13am
Originally posted by RosscoPico RosscoPico wrote:

A slightly slow starter maybe (this thread I mean...) but do please keep them coming and see if we can get some more momentum here....Smile

A lot of my subwoofer builds are actually one off custom builds, but a bit to conventional(borring). I will post some more in time when this tread gets more of the cool builds some of you guys do.

I really love the speakers you build. I actually have several photos of your projects in my collection of interesting speaker photos.Smile
lost eden View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost eden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2012 at 7:27pm
This is home audio rather than pro audio, first speaker I have designed & made from scracth. Hasn't gone too badly so far! The driver is an 8" TangBand I got for 30 euros

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RosscoPico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2012 at 10:17pm

@Dref, sure and will hope to see more of yours at some point then...

p.s. am glad you like our designs and I appreciate comment!  We've got some more interesting looking designs coming out later in the year, so our various ranges will be getting even more diversified soon :)

@ Lost Eden, looks like a good built and well braced which is always very important for a subwoofer.  Looks like a nice driver too, and especially for that money!  I like the look of some of the Tang Band drivers, although I've not tested any as yet..do you have a photo of the finished sub to show us now?

Here's one we recently built as an install sub.  It has a 3.5m horn length and is fairly large and heavy with external dimensions of 120cm x 120cm.  We've loaded it with the newly released Celestion 1600w AES CF18VJD ferrite driver, which sounded impressive in this cabinet;

lost eden View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost eden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by RosscoPico RosscoPico wrote:

@ Lost Eden, looks like a good built and well braced which is always very important for a subwoofer.  Looks like a nice driver too, and especially for that money!  I like the look of some of the Tang Band drivers, although I've not tested any as yet..do you have a photo of the finished sub to show us now?
I actually never got round to painting/carpeting it, because I ended sliding it under my bed out of sight rather than having it next to my desk - it was really 'uncomfortable' having all the bass coming from one side whilst sat at the desk, sounded a bit like when you have 2x speakers in stereo with one out of phase of the other!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>