Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spektre double 18" 'scoops'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Lee In Montreal Lee In Montreal wrote:

I don't see why you guys define those speakers as "scoops"... The mouth area is even smaller than the cone area. They rather are like BR with long expanding port. looks like the sound wave from on driver is fighting the one from the other driver...

Term scoop commonly used to refer to curved sections in rear loaded horns.

However many "scoops" these days have no "scoop", but have approximated curve from 2x or more angled cuts. Does that now also make these "not" scoops ?

More accurate definition of a scoop is rear loaded horn. Even though Wembley bline cabs have no scoop, or uniformly increasing horn, or horn mouth per say, they do possess "pseudo" rear horn loading. Therefore are not just reflex cabs.

As these cabs are based on Wembley Blines, they are also therefore not just reflex cabs. As no reflex cab, can match the SPL, generated by a "mini scoop".

In the UK, the term "mini scoop", is often used to describe sub cabinet, with some type of rear horn loading, which causes sub SPL to exceed that possible from just a reflex cab, regardless of uniform horn expansion or lack thereof.

EDIT:Spoke to my "source" regarding these cabs, and he "insists", the original cabs were manufactured in South London by Cas,  the result of 2x Wembley Blines being fused together. This was before 2007,  then a batch being transported to Birmingham. Embarrassed

As Mykey stated, A similiar cab was present in Shortmans workshop at one time, as I also saw it in person. This was probably mid 2007.

Will find the pics on the forum now.

Edited by levyte357 - 20 February 2012 at 8:06pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 8:13pm
Seems the cabs seen in shortman workshop, were similiar but different driver orientation.

Edited by levyte357 - 20 February 2012 at 8:17pm
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 8:16pm
Double post

Edited by levyte357 - 20 February 2012 at 8:17pm
PauliePaul View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PauliePaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2012 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

EDIT:Spoke to my "source" regarding these cabs, and he "insists", the original cabs were manufactured in South London by Cas,  the result of 2x Wembley Blines being fused together. This was before 2007,  then a batch being transported to Birmingham. Embarrassed

If you've noticed I've been a bit sketchy about the details of the designer/builders/place of build/construction/machining details etc, i do know a lot more about these boxes and the people behind them, but have chose not to divulge all of the info. Work started on the project a long time before 2007... infact, years before and, as previously stated, the development/build happened in Birmingham.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2012 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by PauliePaul PauliePaul wrote:

If you've noticed I've been a bit sketchy about the details of the designer/builders/place of build/construction/machining details etc, i do know a lot more about these boxes and the people behind them, but have chose not to divulge all of the info. Work started on the project a long time before 2007... infact, years before and, as previously stated, the development/build happened in Birmingham.

Guess, best way to clarify this, is people in the know at the bar after GP gig, over some cold brewskis. LOL

Edited by levyte357 - 21 February 2012 at 12:52pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PauliePaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2012 at 12:56pm

Guess, best way to clarify this, is people in the know at the bar after GP gig, over some cold brewskis. LOL

No problem.... I'll come with documents, pictures, invoices, the designer and the builder... what you got?
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2012 at 12:58pm

No problem.... I'll come with documents, pictures, invoices, the designer and the builder... what you got?

1st round. LOL

And the South London person who was around Cas, the first time he built them.

Edited by levyte357 - 21 February 2012 at 12:59pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PauliePaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2012 at 1:03pm
Be careful you don't come with.... it would be unfortunate....

it would be unfortunate.... LOL
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2012 at 1:06pm

Be careful you don't come with.... it would be unfortunate....

it would be unfortunate.... LOL

Yes.. I won't be saying anything, will let my "source" dispel all of these.

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PauliePaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2012 at 1:14pm
Jokes.... LOL
brokenjoe View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2012 at 7:06pm
jeez.. i saw these at  the q club around 2001 ! and they looked old and battered back then! 
error 404
vibez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vibez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2012 at 9:37pm
interesting reading gentlemen.
i heard supaclick play with luv injection at the drum just before christmas and i'm sure he was playing some of these. he was also using vz5000 and sounded rubbish. technical problems, feedback and a whole host of other problems.

@pauliepaul.....i have met up with you so many times and had no idea you were so actively involved in my scene and full of so much knowledge/history, i look forward to the convesation next time i see you. i clearly need to do some more homework on the people i deal with as i now feel rather embarrased.

anyway, i must dash. i'm off to the drum again to check out qualitex at the drum with luv injection.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>