Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CARLSBRO's FINEST?.....A BIT OF OLD SCHOOL....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2014 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

Never sure whether he was linked in actual Business, but he did have an office in their place at one time.

i understand they put money into the company as well as distributing to showmen
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2014 at 11:09am
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Could you post up a larger image of that brochure,it look interesting,
Thanks.
FWIW if you use Google Chrome and you right click a picture you get several options, one of which is 'Search Google For This Image'. I tried and Google couldn't find anything remotely similar.
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2014 at 11:30am
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Thanks,but that 1980 brochure is already online here.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/catalogs/1980-pro.htm
Interesting to see how the JBL classic cabs 4560/4550(FLHs) & 4520/4530(scoops) were a mainstay of the JBL range for so many years. As far as I can see, the 4550 changed to an extent (central horizontal baffle and modified vertical flare), but the others remained pretty much the same through the years - lack of devlopment or simply milking a cash cow? (I know TonyASS has already mentioned how the systems in the USA were surprisingly resistant to change/development but how long wee these cabs being sold for?)
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2014 at 9:34am
What ever line of business Americans are in, they do it differently to us, that's for sure. I know that some of the stuff was straight out of the Cinema business and they never seem to change. Back in the '70's cabs like the 4560 were encouraged because JBL made the drawings public so that they might sell the Chassis speakers which was their real business. In there 70's the 4560 was a Tour de Force, however very few if any ever made it here from the states. We ourselves as Heathpoint Acoustics made them in their hundreds and mainly sent them to Germany as well as other European Countries. As to how long they were popular for, it's hard to gauge, because in those days different countries followed each other around, with basically us at the forefront, so when something died off here, it could be just starting somewhere else.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2014 at 10:33am
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

What ever line of business Americans are in, they do it differently to us, that's for sure. I know that some of the stuff was straight out of the Cinema business and they never seem to change. Back in the '70's cabs like the 4560 were encouraged because JBL made the drawings public so that they might sell the Chassis speakers which was their real business. In there 70's the 4560 was a Tour de Force, however very few if any ever made it here from the states. We ourselves as Heathpoint Acoustics made them in their hundreds and mainly sent them to Germany as well as other European Countries. As to how long they were popular for, it's hard to gauge, because in those days different countries followed each other around, with basically us at the forefront, so when something died off here, it could be just starting somewhere else.
It goes back to my earlier post about the car industry. American cars seemed to stop developing at the same time and speed as Japanese/German et al manufacturers started to do so but after their earlier efforts had been mass produced, and the parts & technology exported, for years. Americans and as well as Europeans exported their out of production car manufacturing facilities often to the then third (now often first) world countries where many remain in use today - the main reason being it made the cars cheaper to produce and the technology simple to both implement and repair or replace. In the US, even though economies of scale made their new cars affordable to the masses, the implementation of newer modern technologies also meant that the cost of  repairs and maintenance would increase as would development (a new, modern engine can cost upwards of $1 billion to develop), and in particular manufacturing cost, and I think it was a conscious decision by the giants not to grasp these technologies wholeheartedly. The result was that Japanese companies invaded the market with their products and became so popular that the US was forced to restrict their imports - which then meant the foreign manufacturers were forced to build in the US. With the US production came the new working practices dropping the manufacturing costs even further and the new technologies proved far more reliable than the older technologies present in American cars - so the US lost the plot completely, as witnessed by the huge losses they made before they had to be bailed out either by the banks or the government. 
There seems to be a strange contrast in the US between the development, use and implementation of new technology by the few and the reluctance to change the status quo by the masses - and speakers and cars seem to fall in the latter group, in that apart from a small number of 'thinking outside the box' developers/manufacturers the rest are still very much reliant on older technologies as is often evident in technical riders mentioning by name which manufacturers box is or is not acceptable, most often not because of the quality of the output but more that they are comfortable (sorry, best word I could come up with) with 'an old friend' whose results are a known quantity.
Hmm, a bit too detailed for Saturday morning - especially before brekkie!
Mark vincent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark vincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2021 at 11:54pm
I’ve got an s800 that I cannot get fixed anywhere anybody got any ideas
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2021 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Mark vincent Mark vincent wrote:

I’ve got an s800 that I cannot get fixed anywhere anybody got any ideas

Mucker Barnes. And only just up the M5 in Stroud... even though with Lockdown it may have to be sent, or just wait for it to be "over".
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Mark vincent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark vincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2021 at 4:42pm
Do you have a phone number for him please thanks mark
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2021 at 5:08pm
PM him: Muckerbarnes1

... or search MJB ELECTRONICS LTD

djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2021 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

PM him: Muckerbarnes1

... or search MJB ELECTRONICS LTD

Ah, yeh. Should've explained that a bit better! Thanks APW.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12