Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AST Scoops

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AST Scoops
    Posted: 27 February 2012 at 1:52am
A company in New York called AST used to make these scoops.(they closed down about 10 years ago) There is probably 40 -50 of them here getting eaten by termites in peoples basements and garages. Only a couple sounds here still play with them. Mind you they were all brought in in the early to late 90's when every sound had there own box, and played out with it. There are probably only 6 sounds left who actually use there own box.
Just got 12 of them. They are basically 2 feet wide and deep, and 4 foot high. 8 of them had been cut down and are now 22inches wide. I was told when you order them you can get them loaded with EV, Celestion, Gauss, or Fane. The ones I have are loaded with Celestions.

Here are some pics. they were in pretty ruff shape. The pic below is when I picked up the first 8.

All these cabs had ZERO bracing, and ZERO corners/reflectors throughout the scoop. I added double bracing to all 12 and crossbraced the mouth.

8 (22 inch wide) after bracing

last 4...

bracing

feet

last 4 after bracing

RTA RESULTS- 1ST is the celestion, 2nd is a B&C TBXsomething or other and 3rd is a Peavey Low Max. Those are the only drivers I had kicking around the workshop.
RTA mic was about 10 feet away laying on the ground.(outside) RTA resolution is 2db (per light)

CELESTION-

B&C-

Peavey Low max-

All 4, (3 celestion & 1 B&C.)

Did my best to reverse engineer it. Don't think anyone would mind being as none have been made in ten years. They are loud, but do not drop too low (as you can see) If anyone has any suggestions on a driver that might sound a little better- I'm all ears. You can see from the dimensions that it seems they were trying to get a whole scoop outta one sheet of ply. I have not had an opportunity yet to test the scoops that were cut down from 24" to 22" wide, but I will at some point.

Here's my measurements. If some are missing its because I can get the tape measure to it. You'd have to work em out. They are carpeted too, so I'm not sure which piece starts and ends where etc.

They are 24 inches wide and deep, and 47 3/4" high. Made from 3/4" MDF (looks like)

Bless.

When you gonna send me some $$ mate ?
RealitySound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 1:58am
The second baffle is 17 1/4 " long. (the piece behind the first 16 7/8 one)
hmaudio View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 9:35am
looking good man like the bracing but they do look alot like jbl 4530
Nottingham based cab builder. https://www.facebook.com/HMAudio-154352667920145/?ref=bookmarks
This account is used by 2 people.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 12:14pm
To be honest, I wouldn't say the rev eng plan of the AST plan is looking good, looks a disaster on paper hence poor response.

@Reality sound:

Doubt it's possible to make those cabs sound like real scoops, given existing build.

If you decide to sell them, and build something else, can PM you some mods to another plan that is known to work. Wink

Also:Suggestionto make life easier, work in millimeters. Wink

Edited by levyte357 - 27 February 2012 at 12:15pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 12:38pm
@ HM-I thought they looked like jbl copies too.
@ Lev- Didn't really pay much for these scoops, not trying to start a sound with these cabs or anything. I have 8 servo BT7's,& 16 doubles BR cabs for my low end. I'm giving 4 away and will probably use 8 for center fill for dancehall jiggy jiggy parties. I'm afraid tape measures over here have inches, I have to convert everything on this site from mm to inches, now the tables have turned!
I just thought I would share what info I have gathered on these cabs for the speakerplans massive dem.
In no way am I suggesting that anyone build these things, and I don't intend on spending any time modding these things to get them to sound any better. These kids coming out nowadays are only interesed in SPL anyway.
Bless.
JR.junior View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR.junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 1:05pm
Off topic.  I've put insted of polyester stuff,  the 3cm foam pyramids in the chamber and the deep bass is gone. So.. this white polyester stuff work the best. 

Edit: Just to mentioned. 

Edited by JR.junior - 27 February 2012 at 1:06pm
Support the scoop technology, larger mouth plays louder!
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by RealitySound RealitySound wrote:

In no way am I suggesting that anyone build these things, and I don't intend on spending any time modding these things to get them to sound any better. These kids coming out nowadays are only interesed in SPL anyway.
Bless.

Cool, had horrible feeling you were embarking on journey with pencil behind your ear, and ordering pallets of timber.

Edited by levyte357 - 27 February 2012 at 1:14pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 4:40pm
@ Lev- LMFAO! thanks, i really needed a good laugh. Thumbs Up
UpComingSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UpComingSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 6:33pm
AST in nyc those was the days lol use to luv dat place, they still in business they are in queens ny now
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 7:57pm
I thought they closed down completely. They had a big going out of business sale like ten years ago. Selling everything CHEAP.

Ras Loud View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ras Loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 8:14pm
Does the JBL scoop actually only have that one brace with the number 8 or are there more?

About tape measures: there are some beautiful ones that have inch as well as cm/mm on there at the same time. Smile
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 8:57pm
We use inches here. I grabbed the closest tape measure. If anyone wants to convert the measurements to mm, they can use one of those beautiful tapes and figure it out. Thumbs Up No one on here posts plans in inches to make my life any easier!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>