Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THAM 12 - a compact 12" TH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2016 at 2:58pm
the lab 12.... my reply speed was so sloow it jumped a few posts and looked random lol.

he said the lab12 was a no go and utter s##t.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2016 at 3:44pm
Yes probably that's true, it's not muich of a horn driver actually in the usual way, try a sim:-)
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
JOEDL1509 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOEDL1509 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2016 at 12:12pm
good day all,

Please can someone help me with a cutting list for the THAM12

In 2013 I built a pair of THAM12's & loaded it with the Faital Pro 12HP1010 & fed them with an iNuke6000. They are used for mobile disco application...were intended for smaller functions but they have been performing so well I actually have used them for bigger gigs as well. I honestly have shocked many a sound junkies with the compactness and sound output with these small little buggers.

I now bought another pair of 12HP1010's so for bigger gigs I will use all 4 THAM's. However I seem to have lost my original cutting list.

I am only able to get 18mm ply, so please can someone help me with a cutting list for the THAM12's
guyfeld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guyfeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2017 at 7:34am
Originally posted by JOEDL1509 JOEDL1509 wrote:

good day all,

Please can someone help me with a cutting list for the THAM12

In 2013 I built a pair of THAM12's & loaded it with the Faital Pro 12HP1010 & fed them with an iNuke6000. They are used for mobile disco application...were intended for smaller functions but they have been performing so well I actually have used them for bigger gigs as well. I honestly have shocked many a sound junkies with the compactness and sound output with these small little buggers.

I now bought another pair of 12HP1010's so for bigger gigs I will use all 4 THAM's. However I seem to have lost my original cutting list.

I am only able to get 18mm ply, so please can someone help me with a cutting list for the THAM12's
Hey there, I just joined the forum and saw your old post. I'm also in S Africa but in C Town area. I've been thinking of Replacing my DB technologies sub15d active sub and building at least one Tham12 with the faital 12hp1010 which is on a special at the moment for around R2800. (powered by a Synq 1k0 100w amp)
You are using yours for DJ? I am a Live performance solo musician(gtr, kbds, vox, backtrax) and am looking at a single compact 12 sub carryable with one hand. How much does yours weigh? Also, how high does it go without sounding bad..150hz?Would you say the response is smooth enough? Do you find you need to use dsp like a Behringer deq2496?
And the wood thickness..did you go for 18mm/15mm? Did you use birch or pine ply?
Did you manage to get a cutting list?
Thank in advanceSmile

wakemasia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakemasia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 2:19am
Thank you very much for this awesome desing, martinsson! I just finished building them and am already amazed by these little beasts.
Here are a couple of pictures https://forum.speakerplans.com/tham12-custom-amplifier-build_topic103754.html

Thanks again!
Cheers from middle europe
geritass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geritass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2019 at 12:51am
Hi everyone, will work  Ok?

Thiele small:
  • Stitched High Roll Foam Surround
  • Advanced Air Flow Cooling System
  • 2.5" High Temperature Copper Voice Coil
  • Motor Weight: 202 oz
  • Frequency Response: 25 - 250 Hz
  • Sensitivity: 88.0 dB
  • Fs: 33.8 Hz
  • Re: 3.9 Ohms
  • Qms: 4.1
  • Qes: 0.37
  • Qts: 0.34
  • Nref: .40 %
  • Cms: 0.07 mm/N
  • Bl: 25.5 n/a
  • Vas: 24.8 L
  • Mms: 243 gr
  • Sd: 510 cm^2
  • Xmax: 15 mm
THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Hi everybody
geritass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geritass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2019 at 12:54am
Hi everyone, it will work OK, like B&C 12ndl76 ?

• Skar Audio DDX-12 D2 - 12" Component Car Subwoofer
  • Dual 2 Ohm Voice Coil Configuration
  • Peak Power: 1,500 Watts
  • RMS Power: 1,000 Watts
  • Competition Grade Pressed Paper Cone
  • Stitched High Roll Foam Surround
  • Advanced Air Flow Cooling System
  • 2.5" High Temperature Copper Voice Coil
  • Motor Weight: 202 oz
  • Frequency Response: 25 - 250 Hz
  • Sensitivity: 88.0 dB
  • Fs: 33.8 Hz
  • Re: 3.9 Ohms
  • Qms: 4.1
  • Qes: 0.37
  • Qts: 0.34
  • Nref: .40 %
  • Cms: 0.07 mm/N
  • Bl: 25.5 n/a
  • Vas: 24.8 L
  • Mms: 243 gr
  • Sd: 510 cm^2
  • Xmax: 15 mm

• Thanks in advancce

Hi everybody
TheORig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheORig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2023 at 11:08am
Hi all,

Quick question regarding the Tham 12. I'm considering construction one for a small rig but wanted to ask what the effect would be of installed recessed handles into the side for ease of transport. I assume as this would effect the internal volume I may need to redo some calculations that would impact the overall dimensions of the Tham? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2023 at 11:53am
i have no experience with tham 12s, but have done 4 tham 15s.. i don't think you'd get a recessed bar handle in any of the space of the horn path. i put back box handles on mine, wouldn't think the intrusion into the space would have much effect.
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2023 at 3:55pm
When I built my Tham 12s I did exactly this… I put two small box/pocket handles in the sides at the top (when the driver is facing down), I made the handles as small as practically possible (100mm W x 30mm H x 30mm D) and built a prototype in MDF before wasting 15mm Birch ply. We tested them against a standard Tham 12, and the differences in acoustic measurements were negligible and was inaudible.
I cannot currently get you any photos as they are in the storage unit behind the amp racks (and other detritus) however below is a roughly marked up drawing of the approximate handle location.

Edited by APW - 13 June 2023 at 3:59pm
roopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2023 at 12:34pm
How do you guys solve the 50hz High pass filter? Possible to make this passive? Can i get this pre built anywhere?

I tend to build a portable 48v tham12 with the B&C 12NDL76 and a TPA3255 mono 600w (probably closer to 200-300w) amplifier but the amp only have a crossover filter that is between 40-120hz (low pass?)

Edited by roopes - 08 July 2023 at 12:34pm
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2023 at 2:09pm
If the amp doesn't have it built in, you would use an external DSP upstream of the amp. Thomann do one that runs off a 12V adapter so should be a bit easier for you to power than one that requires 240VAC I imagine: https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_t.racks_dsp_4x4_mini.htm

PS, passive is technically possible but a really bad idea - the components required would be big, heavy, expensive and even then probably still eat up too much power & degrade damping factor too much to be worth it. It would also likely require impedance compensation as a bass bin will have peaks in the impedance curve near the target cutoff frequency that would skew the filter response if left uncorrected, hence more cost.

Edited by DMorison - 08 July 2023 at 2:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>