Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > MT122
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MT121 Drivers...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2012 at 2:33pm
True but an efficient 600W driven with 300W will surely sound cleaner then 300W driver driven with 300W at its limits.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2012 at 3:03pm
this is true marjan, but any driver thrashed to an inch of its life will sound bad..... for me i would rather take more cabs and have better coverage, than narrow but loud coverage.....
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2012 at 3:17pm
just a quick horn i done using horn resp nothing special...... showing the b and c verses the p audio driver......

Edited by bee - 27 June 2012 at 3:20pm
tamuks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamuks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2012 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by bee bee wrote:

more watts does not make a driver better than a 300w one...... an EFFICIENT 300w driver will out perform a VERYPOOR efficient 600w driver........
no one said use a Very poor driver here .we are all using efficient good reproductive drivers like Pds,p audio.eminence etc. or you saying the drivers mentioned here are very poor?or u just like b&c

Edited by tamuks - 27 June 2012 at 3:39pm
K.A.S.S the art of digital sound entertainment
PISSHEAD View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PISSHEAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2012 at 3:39pm
Bee,
What driver do you recommend?
The 'drunken master' strikes again.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2012 at 3:50pm
not at all tamuks...... some of us no the difference between a good 300w driver and a poor one lol... all drivers we have talked about hear are of good build, and sound......and it is true that what you pay for is what you get...... don't take me wrong the b&c which is my personal fav in the mt is rated peak at 800w........ this is not a 300w driver..........  for me the horn itself plays a big part in what would be my ideal choice of driver, a lot of factors are taken in to consideration before the horn has even been designed when designing from scratch.....  But through experience in the field..... i will all ways opt for better coverage, even if it means i take 3 boxes a side to a very high powered 1 box setup.....  a good even spread of sound is far better than a narrow high slp one...... 

In the quest for more and more spl, are we not missing the basics out, in that a system should sound balanced, clean and clear in all parts of a venue..... not just slap bang in front of a stack... with hf that will take your eye balls out, or all sub and no tops.......
jwdrain View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwdrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2012 at 9:39pm
What do people recommend crossing their MT 121s at? I've had a good read about the forum but can't find any recommendations, noticed on this thread though there was some debating between whether or not its a good idea to cross them..

My MT 121s are loaded with PD 123 ERs and JBL 2445 Hs. I did it by ear by what I thought sounded best, the 12s are working between 180-2200 and the Comps are 1200+, does this sound like it should be about right or should they not overlap??
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2012 at 9:46pm
the issue with the mt121 is there is a big dip in the response around 900 and rolls out, so to get it to meet the horn you need a 1" or 1.4" comp that can play low..... which there is not that many that can.... so if you xover at about 1.2 to 1.3 k and let the 12" roll off naturally to about 2 to 2.5k this help smooth out the response, and removes the dip in the response, and a little eq...... 

you dont get the same dip with the mt122, as both the 12" coupled to a 2" gives a fairly flat curve....
jwdrain View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwdrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2012 at 10:51pm
thats one of the reasons i went for the JBL 2445h, it gets seriously low! The guy I bought it off said he crossed his as low as 500, but I wanted it to sound clean and I seriously can't afford to be replacing expensive JBL parts, so i thought crossing it at 1.2 k would make it harder to blow. So is my current arrangement alright? (12 handling 180-2.2K, comps 1.3+) Or should I lower the comps to 1K to smooth out the dip better?
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2012 at 10:54pm
sounds ok to me, the only real way to see how bad a dip you may have or have not, is to do some readings using software like smaart etc with an rta mic...... but from looking at the comp specs it seems good to me.....
jwdrain View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwdrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2012 at 11:16pm
are phase plugs available for MT 121s?
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2012 at 11:22pm
no, you would need to design a new horn from scratch to fit a plug......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>