FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

scoop compatible drivers...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 25>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 7:05pm
What I meant was 600 watts flat Rolling Stones compared to 600watts compressed 40hz with 6db of boost is different. The Fane should be cool at rated power flat in Hog with HPF set accordingly
It's everything, not everythink!
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

How much boost though?

Hmm you mean, low freq boost?  My crossover has boost trimmer for 40Hz, yes I used it a little. 

Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

Whether they got it right or not they were quite innovative, remember the DSM mid top?

Yes I do remember those horn loaded midtop things, no personal experience tho.. :)

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Tonskulus Tonskulus wrote:

As far as I know, cerwinvega was propably the first who made some proper high BL drivers for horn loading and such.  
Would be nice to have some of those very early cerwinvega "cinema" horn subs from 70's :)

Whether they got it right or not they were quite innovative, remember the DSM mid top?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 2:54pm
How much boost though?
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 1:00pm
Ok, I tested Fane col. 18SB in hog scoop.  Amplifier: Tamp ta1400, only one channel was used.

SB is not that bad at all in hog, goes pretty low, even 30Hz really does shake the place. Nice and pretty tight with good amount of SPL.  I'm not so sure if that driver even handles >1kW power in HOG, without ripping itself off.. it was quite brutal even when driven by single channel from my Tamp.  Cone movement exceeded the xmax easily around 40-50Hz.

Edited by Tonskulus - 08 October 2017 at 1:02pm
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2017 at 1:17pm
As far as I know, cerwinvega was propably the first who made some proper high BL drivers for horn loading and such.  
Would be nice to have some of those very early cerwinvega "cinema" horn subs from 70's :)

Edited by Tonskulus - 04 October 2017 at 1:19pm
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2017 at 12:09pm
Yes. From time to time, some companies produce unexpected and well hidden gem. And it is hidden even better, because the price is in line of expectations or product line, or not so much higher. So not many people know. Happened to me few times too.
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2017 at 11:34am
I was just surprised that CV would be able to make such driver, that is all.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2017 at 10:22am
Don't forget that BL doesn't tell full story about speaker power and power output. For pure force factor,you need to use (Bl*Bl)/Re as voice coil resistance and thus current and actual power flowing trough will change the outcome. Also Bl across the coil excursion can vary a lot. Same as suspension compliance, taking out some performance from the motor. So small signal value measurement wont tell you usable truth eiter. Here is where Klippel comes in, providing additional data. But it takes even more to properly evaluate speaker capabilities. On top of that, the enclosure has the final word. Bl is good, but cannot stay alone in the evaluation process.
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2017 at 10:04am
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Few cv driver specs seems to be well in the limits - even more than some 1860's like having huge BL of over 50, xmax 19mm etc..

BL of 52 out of that small magnet? No way.

Magnet size will say nothing about BL.  I have seen huge magnet drivers having really low BL, and small magnet drivers having high BL factor.   It is all about the actual voicecoil and magnet design / structure that makes the total BL. 
In the past, I had Cerwinvega XL18s driver, magnet was moderate size. BL was measured well over 30. Once I took off the dust cup and there was really really small gap / clearance beetween the coil and center pole! Propably 0.2mm or so. Less clearance = more BL. 

Oh man that driver was fast and accurate and made lots of SPL in std BR enclosure. I really miss it.  T&S parameters were pretty weird, I put those parameters to my enclosure sim and it gave optimum sealed box volume of something like 15 liters :D
If I can find one, I will surely test it with a scoop!

Edited by Tonskulus - 04 October 2017 at 10:11am
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2017 at 9:16am

Few cv driver specs seems to be well in the limits - even more than some 1860's like having huge BL of over 50, xmax 19mm etc..

BL of 52 out of that small magnet? No way.

Edited by MarjanM - 04 October 2017 at 9:19am
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2017 at 6:11am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 25>