Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

scoop compatible drivers...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 25>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 4:18pm
Just tried today to push 21DS115-8 at Xmax, and it behaved very well. Fully usable.
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 1:04am
Originally posted by Crashpc Crashpc wrote:

Just tried today to push 21DS115-8 at Xmax, and it behaved very well. Fully usable.

Whow that's funky, in a scoop even?
How did it feel? :-)
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 7:28am
No, just free air, and around 12-20Hz.
Felt good. Still did A LOT subsonic rumble, And not much wind friction noises. There is no way I would want to push that speaker in usable range (in the box) to Xmax. It would destroy my house. No pun...
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 7:28am
Two months ago, I lost my HOG virginity at forrest trance parties. There were 4 of them driven by 16kW of total rms power.  Sound quality and SPL was totally insane even for long distances!  Time to build my own hog's.
I'm looking for budget driver for my first hogscoop(s) , but this is kind of pain.however I have few candidates now:
PD184 or 186, PD184C01
18sound 18W1000,  18LW2400
Fane colossus 18XB

About the sound what i'm looking for, not too soft/warm and lazy. PD1850 would do the trick, but it's out of budget now so I need to make compromises. Which budget driver is best for max. spl beetween 40-50Hz?

Oh btw, friend of mine said he still has my old CerwinVega XL18s, I think this should be tested in hogscoop! It was quite brutal in std reflex box too. Lots of punch.
parameters:  100db/1w,  FS 28Hz, Qts 0.17, Qes 0.18, Qms 5.25, vas 273, BL 31.8, Xmax lin 8.5mm.

love2all View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 8:28am
Tomorrow i will be testing some rcflf18x451 in some scoops....seen this driver mentioned in earlier pages...has anyone else tried them? Wondering what amp is going to get the best out of them as have previously been using pds on a 5k monoblock....got a feeling the 5k mono block not going to be enough for these!
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2017 at 8:45am
Well, I prefer class AB amplifiers w/ big damping factor for best possible cone control (some old QSC amps are really good!).  No experience about class-H, I have been told those might have some problems/drawbacks in some circumstanses.  
So I'll stick with heavyduty AB for smaller rigs <10kW.   Class-D for larger systems.

Edited by Tonskulus - 16 September 2017 at 8:57am
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2017 at 6:48pm
Tonskulus: Everything has its drawbacks and shortcomings. I think that moct Clas-H amps have different problems than the class itself.
Also, Things like FP10000 or FP14000 (Lab Gruppen and its copies) have very clever power stage and output stage. It basically can be AB class with ~90% efficiency, due to the power supply delivering exactly needed voltage for the waveform going trough at the moment. So while the power supply output can copy the signal waveform + some reserve, the output stage doesn´t have to face the huge voltage drop needed for conventional AB amp.
"SMPS-D-class approach" gets its use, and oldschool guys with AB class in their head are satisfied too.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2017 at 6:51pm
Try oberton 18xb1500 , exactly what you want. Even tighter sound compared to 1850 and spl monster if coupled to a nice amp.

And the price is ok

Edited by Sypa - 16 September 2017 at 6:54pm
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2017 at 9:02pm
That looks like one very nice driver, indeed! And price is also quite good.
But will propably need also some additional processing and non-conventional design if used in bassreflex box.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2017 at 9:47pm
Oh sorry forgot to add for hogs
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2017 at 10:45am
Originally posted by love2all love2all wrote:

Tomorrow i will be testing some rcflf18x451 in some scoops....seen this driver mentioned in earlier pages...has anyone else tried them? Wondering what amp is going to get the best out of them as have previously been using pds on a 5k monoblock....got a feeling the 5k mono block not going to be enough for these!

I tried it and I liked it, these are BRUTAL in a scoop :-)
But I didn't do any A/B comparisons, so the room (club) affects my experience.
To me it was clean, deep & headroom far above where we could go.
I know people also using these in TH and happy about it (which I wouldn't expect to be the best)

These drivers are really good power for the money, I think I'd take these over Obertons any day.
Only thing is that RCF are crazy, lead times for kits are ½ a year :-(
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2017 at 11:59am
Lead time for what kit? Recone kits? That can not be that long. Friend of mine distributed RCF here and everything comes within 6-7 weeks.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 25>