Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matrix XT 6000 power amp turned smoke machine!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Matrix XT 6000 power amp turned smoke machine!
    Posted: 15 April 2012 at 7:53pm
So last night my band played a small gig out of town, I racked up a little super basic rig and stuck the 6000 in there to run the tops I have.

The mid tops consist of PD156 and 2" celestion comp, so they are pretty beefy, 800W RMS a 8 ohms, can handle a bit of kick drum without the need for bins.

All I put through them is vocals and kick as it was such a small gig.

So the gig was going well, amp was set at half and hardly being tickled when 3 songs in the amp goes into protection, and smoke starts coming out and there were all sorts of flashes going on inside.

I quickly whipped the power out.

Not expected at all considering I run this amp on subs normally. I thought this would have been a breeze for it.

Any ideas? I would normally have took a smaller amp but that was the most handy to just rack up at the time.

Gonna email Matrix in the morning and hope they can help!

bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2012 at 8:00pm
pretty sure Andy will sort it out...

As good as the amps are, we had a high failue quote aswell but it was handled professionally by Andy!

May i ask how old it is?
How often was is used before?

Good luck mate getting it solved quickly!
Sinfinity View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinfinity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2012 at 8:19pm
Hi there,
Sorry you have had a problem
Please post amp back to us and we shall take care of you.
My best regards
Matt

p.s. Please feel free to email me on matt @ matrixamplification . com

Matt at ukamp dot co dot uk
nuclearbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2012 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Sinfinity Sinfinity wrote:

Hi there,
Sorry you have had a problem
Please post amp back to us and we shall take care of you.
My best regards
Matt

p.s. Please feel free to email me on matt @ matrixamplification . com

problem solved within half an hour.....Clap
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
Lee83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2012 at 8:25pm
Ah that's great, cheers Matt, I shall do that immediately!
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2012 at 2:20am
Did you check the power? I've had amps blow a few times and each time it was caused by massive voltage swing in the venue.
Lee83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2012 at 7:00pm
I didn't! I do though when I'm doing PA jobs using two of those plug in power meter jobbies.
Matt's on the case, I'm sending it off soon to get sorted.
Thanks!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2012 at 8:41pm
"problem solved within half an hour.....Clap"

Yes,you cant get better service than that.

Well done Matt.
Be seeing you.
B.P.Sound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.P.Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2012 at 9:15pm
Would have been even better if it didn't go BANG............................ Did you have a spare amp ? ? ? ? ?
http://www.londoneventrentals.co.uk/ https://www.facebook.com/LondonEventRentals
Lee83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2012 at 9:43pm
Nope, no spare, it was just a small gig in pub with my band. The only option was to route the mic's through a guitar amp and stick it on the pool table! Were a punk rock band anyway so, if anything, the whole incident added to the gig!

imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2012 at 10:21pm
I've seen similar results from tinfoil type streamers getting inside the chassis and shorting things out (TOA 100v amp) in this case impressive quantities of smoke and flashes but very little damage.

Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Spartan Audio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartan Audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2012 at 10:24pm
The tops were passive?
http://www.spartanaudio.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>