Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matrix XT 6000 power amp turned smoke machine!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WHAT! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2012 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by The Builder The Builder wrote:

Because thay are relaible, thats why.
There are many, many 20 year old plus amps out there still going strong.
This aint gonna happen with SMPS.

The only thing in those amps you can truly rely on is the weight :-P
Over the last few months I had loads of old amps in for repair. Among them were 3 Peavey CS3000G, all of them had blown output transistors and dead caps. Also Crown 5000VZ with bad caps and RAM CB1902 and 1402 with blown output transistors and fucked up protection circuitry. All of them are transformer PSU amps.
Apart from that I had one Matrix XT6004EQ (SMPS) on the bench with a bad output relais. That was it.

The other reason is I'm very strong, because I train a lot, so I don't have any issues at all with the piddling weight of a few 25kg or so amps, even with a long term L5 disc (back) issue.

Ok, if you want to carry my vintage amp racks with 4x Macrotech 5000VZ, be welcome. But don't you complain about the weight.
BTW: Just this Saturday I did a comparison between the 5000VZ and Matrix XT6004 on PUKK215. Guess what: The Crown sounds shitty!

This whole lightweight thing pisses me off.
People have been moving heavy amps for years, now its all about making it easy.

So you're the guitar player type of person? Phone jack has been the only way to connect cabinet to amp for 5 gazillion years, why use those modern speakon thingies? :-P
SMPS are not a recent invention, in fact they have been around for years and years and are as reliable or not as conventional PSUs.
And according to my experience at the workshop most amps do not fail due to PSU issues. It's more blocked air paths that cause overheating, badly designed protection circuits that cause a chain reaction (look at RAM CB- and BUX-series schematics) or simply blown output transistors and drivers.
highlift2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote highlift2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2012 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by WHAT! WHAT! wrote:

Because thay are relaible, thats why.
There are many, many 20 year old plus amps out there still going strong.
This aint gonna happen with SMPS.

The only thing in those amps you can truly rely on is the weight :-P
Over the last few months I had loads of old amps in for repair. Among them were 3 Peavey CS3000G, all of them had blown output transistors and dead caps. Also Crown 5000VZ with bad caps and RAM CB1902 and 1402 with blown output transistors and fucked up protection circuitry. All of them are transformer PSU amps.
Apart from that I had one Matrix XT6004EQ (SMPS) on the bench with a bad output relais. That was it.

The other reason is I'm very strong, because I train a lot, so I don't have any issues at all with the piddling weight of a few 25kg or so amps, even with a long term L5 disc (back) issue.

Ok, if you want to carry my vintage amp racks with 4x Macrotech 5000VZ, be welcome. But don't you complain about the weight.
BTW: Just this Saturday I did a comparison between the 5000VZ and Matrix XT6004 on PUKK215. Guess what: The Crown sounds shitty!

This whole lightweight thing pisses me off.
People have been moving heavy amps for years, now its all about making it easy.

So you're the guitar player type of person? Phone jack has been the only way to connect cabinet to amp for 5 gazillion years, why use those modern speakon thingies? :-P
SMPS are not a recent invention, in fact they have been around for years and years and are as reliable or not as conventional PSUs.
And according to my experience at the workshop most amps do not fail due to PSU issues. It's more blocked air paths that cause overheating, badly designed protection circuits that cause a chain reaction (look at RAM CB- and BUX-series schematics) or simply blown output transistors and drivers.
It's been mentioned on here plenty of times that 90% of amp issues are Potentimeter or Connector related.
What percentage is due to the PSU issues I can't say but would imagine it's goes into few decimal places.
WHAT! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WHAT! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2012 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by highlift2 highlift2 wrote:

It's been mentioned on here plenty of times that 90% of amp issues are Potentimeter or Connector related.

Thanks for the reminder. Those CB-series amps also have problems with AMP-type connectors...
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2012 at 10:18pm
Well I'm with Nick.

Iv'e had way toooooo many years of design, build and repair of power amps etc.

The most reliable in all of the 30 or so countries i've fitted power amps in have proved the most reliable by FAR is a passive simple PSU with no semiconductors other than rectifiers. I have also built and marketed power amps of 43Kg.

SMPS amps definately have a place. The Matrix ones have a great PSU. I have fitted many of then over time. A transformer is a simple alternative. I use SMPS most where the mains voltage is very high, which causes problems.

Then there's the lightweight brigade. Too heavy. Too far. Bad back. Just in most cases way too many excuses. What happened to the tough old roady brigade.  .... TIME. Time has brough a load of lightweights, and not just amplifiers.

There are people on here that agree amps like the Matrix SMPS sound great. There are a few like Nivitz who have some heavy buggers and agree they DO sound different. Just like an old VX HH.

I can put the all on the test bench here, and all is good.
Billy Dawg.
highlift2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote highlift2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2012 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Muckerbarnes1 Muckerbarnes1 wrote:

Then there's the lightweight brigade. Too heavy. Too far. Bad back. Just in most cases way too many excuses. What happened to the tough old roady brigade.  .... TIME. Time has brough a load of lightweights, and not just amplifiers.

Yep, Neodynium's also here to stay.
If a tough old roady has to lift a rack full of smps amps instead of torroidals I'm sure they won't be complaining. Just means they can drink an extra bottle of JD, blow a few more grams of speed and shag untold more groupies during the gig without having a whitey on the tear down. Tongue

Seriously though Mucker, do you also think we won't be seeing smps's in servive in 20 years time?

infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2012 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by highlift2 highlift2 wrote:

Yep, Neodynium's also here to stay.

Not with the way the prices are going Cry
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2012 at 10:58pm
I do see old SMPS. They are usually knackered. Repairable of course.

Old does not mean crap, neither does heavy or light.

There was no gym and such crap years ago ( or very little), men were men, I come from that era. I have no aches or pains. I work hard when I need to, regardless of the weight. For me apart from weight SMPS = FAT!
Billy Dawg.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2012 at 11:18pm
Then of course there is efficiency. Which is most efficient? SMPS or transformer etc? Then which costs the most, and which will squeg due to breakdown first?
BTW this is way off topic.

Billy Dawg.
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2012 at 12:02am
Every repairer will have more heavyweight amps to fix as opposed to lightweights because there are ffffffaaaaaaaaaar more torroidal amps out there than lightweights. think about it
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2012 at 8:38am

There was no gym and such crap years ago ( or very little), men were men, I come from that era. I have no aches or pains. I work hard when I need to, regardless of the weight. For me apart from weight SMPS = FAT!

That's very funny and very true Malcolm!

Modern man...hello darling,im off to the gym.

Retro man....Put kettle on love,im off to cut the lawn,cut the hedges,paint the ceilings,fit a new water tank in the loft and lift the amp rack out of the van. Big smile
Be seeing you.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2012 at 9:54am
You got me Ian. RETRO MAN. LOL 5 hours of grass cutting yesterday, then a few hours in the veggie patch. NO back ache. Never been to a gym in my life. I have a perfect one outside.
Billy Dawg.
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2012 at 9:58am

You got me Ian. RETRO MAN. LOL 5 hours of grass cutting yesterday, then a few hours in the veggie patch. NO back ache. Never been to a gym in my life. I have a perfect one outside.

Thats ridiculous.....you have a sit on mower!! doesn't qualify for day in the life of a RETRO MAN!! LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>