Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cubo sub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechnoChef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cubo sub
    Posted: 04 June 2012 at 6:55pm
I finally got around to putting together a pair of cubo subs for my beyma 18g550s, testing them this afternoon has put a huge smile on my face - shame the same can't be said for the neighbours!

They play comfortably down to 30hz and sound fairly flat from 35 up (no measurements at all, just playing frequency sweeps).
And loud isn't even the word, half the roof of my garage has rattled loose after half an hour at moderate level from an EP2500!

Thank you Mr Cubo!
I think I'm in love with your mum.
LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 9:58pm
Clap
GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 3:13pm
Would love to see some pics, finished/unfinished, whatever. Been wanting to build some of these for a while, it might just push me to go out and get some wood (in a non sexual way of course!).
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 5:16pm
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 6:32pm
@Smoore: Next time turn the grain 90 degrees...oh, and buy it off course.

Cubo Sub was the only Cubo design able to to vibrate the decoration sheets in the main test hall.

Best regards Johan

TechnoChef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechnoChef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 10:56pm
This was halfway through the build, MDF as it was cheap and amateur woodwork as we're amateurs!

Mrd999 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrd999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 10:32am
After building a couple of these myself.Any tips for another novice first time builder ?
Fairly handy with a  spanner and have re built cars and stuff, will be buying a circular saw and possibly a router owt else I may need ?
What goes around, comes around

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechnoChef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 6:20pm
A good drill and a long metal ruler are essential. To save on RSI we bought an electric screwdriver (essential aswell IMO!) and a belt sander. To save my back I use old speaker cabs as a workbench so I'm not bending down all the time.

Buy more screws than you need, its a pain in the arse running out on a double jubilee bank holiday! Make sure to route any internal panels before they go in. Same goes for baffles, cut the driver cutout and fit T-nuts before it goes in.

Errm, what else? (this is verbatim what my brother told me last week BTW, the cubo in that picture is the first speaker I've built completely by myself, the rest I blag him to do most of the building!) Oh yeah, cut the braces to fit afterwards, as you can see from the picture, I cut mine before the cab was together and missed by a few mm!

If you haven't read it already, check out Rog's building guide on the main Speakerplans.com site. Then there's the old adage of "measure twice, cut once".

Oh, and good music and good smoke always help!
Mrd999 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrd999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 6:31pm
Quality cheers, all sounds good to me, well sort of given up the smoke, smoked for over 23 years, every single day without fail for most of that time, still do it occasionally in social situations, but my head needed a break, super silver haze turned me into a slurring mess.
Got leccy driver so that's good to go, will try and get the main parts cut from where ever I get the wood from, but b+q don't do the full size sheets, so trying to find somewhere else
What goes around, comes around

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechnoChef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2012 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Mrd999 Mrd999 wrote:

Quality cheers, all sounds good to me, well sort of given up the smoke, smoked for over 23 years, every single day without fail for most of that time, still do it occasionally in social situations, but my head needed a break, super silver haze turned me into a slurring mess.
Got leccy driver so that's good to go, will try and get the main parts cut from where ever I get the wood from, but b+q don't do the full size sheets, so trying to find somewhere else

I'm on 12 years so far, thinking it's time for a break but we've got lemon haze round my way at the moment and it's too good for me to be quitting!
Check eBay for cheap sheets of wood, works out a little less sometimes than buying it direct and it's delivered to your door!
I'd check the tolerances with the people cutting it if you go that route, we've had cuts way out in the past from the local builder's merchant, worse even than when we cut the wood!
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2012 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by TechnoChef TechnoChef wrote:

This was halfway through the build, MDF as it was cheap and amateur woodwork as we're amateurs!

Is that 9mil MDF on all sides except half the floor of the mouth?
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechnoChef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2012 at 11:57pm
It's all 18mm MDF in there, on the floor if the mouth it's doubled, then tripled at the very front. All the bracing makes it a very solid but heavy cab, definitely going to need some wheels on these!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>