Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

macro-tech vs micro-tech

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2022 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by EmPro EmPro wrote:

the point is that 13 amp fuses are not calibrated so that means it can have 20A or 6A how is your luck LOLLOL i never trust fuses,i trust power consumption with a fluke clamp meter on the supply cable LOLLOL i've seen 13A fuses melting 2.5mm copper wire...and the fuse still good so..... Confused to many psu-s i've seen roasted to death because of the fuses....even the ratings were fine (on paper).

LOL.... They have a precise specification that they MUST comply with, it’s called BS1362 and gives the exact conditions as to when and how the fuse will break... trouble is so many are Chinese fakes that don't comply.

EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2022 at 2:47pm
yes,indeed....way to many fakes around....Confused and to be honest...nobody test the damn fuses LOL but we should Confused

Edited by EmPro - 27 June 2022 at 2:48pm
EmPro Audio
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2022 at 2:52pm

will trip a 32A ring mcb on start up if i turn two of them at the same time...

What curve is the MCB?

Edited by APW - 27 June 2022 at 2:52pm
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2022 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

will trip a 32A ring mcb on start up if i turn two of them at the same time...

What curve is the MCB?

Type B mate.
EmPro Audio
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

I run my MA 5000vz amplifiers on 50 A circuits on 120 volts. That is 6 kw at the amplifiers disposal. 13 A at 240 is only 3 kw so,

As mentioned many times on this site, even though fuse is formally rated 13A, it will withstand peaks of 20A.

The main issue with UK domestic ring mains, is the quality of wiring, or other factors, that negatively affect the circuit's ability to supply the current, without the voltage substantially dropping.

In one building, you could easily attach and switch on a Crest 9001, and even with that mighty inrush current, there would be no problem, in many other buildings, the breakers will always trip !!!

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

The MA 5000vz is starving due to lack of current on demand. Macros need current to drive. If the current is not in abundance the Macros will not offer optimum performance. 

Completely agree !!

In the States, the majority does not take in account there are other loads on the breaker consuming current prior to what they are planning to use. So the chances of having all the amperage stated on the breaker for the device the person is about to use at their disposal is a guessing game when asked. We (Electricians) always take in account the overall load passing through the breaker using a clamp meter to monitor the true current consumption.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 1:08pm
In the states: 120v and plenty amps for the rated powers.....if you look in the MT-s data,the 120v versions are little more powerfull on the output then 240v versions of the same model....it shouldn't be like that..but it is,so we need to understand that MT-s are current amplifiers and they need loads of amps to perform,this is the only thing MT-s ask for and you are trouble free for life Wink MT-s never let me down so all the respect for that Clap
EmPro Audio
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 2:03pm

In the states: 120v and plenty amps for the rated powers.....if you look in the MT-s data,the 120v versions are little more powerfull on the output then 240v versions of the same model....it shouldn't be like that..but it is,so we need to understand that MT-s are current amplifiers and they need loads of amps to perform,this is the only thing MT-s ask for and you are trouble free for life Wink MT-s never let me down so all the respect for that Clap

We should also note, many of the modern day joker amplifiers, with illustrious power ratings measured at 1khz, do not provide truthful max power consumption figures.

Unlike Macrotechs, Crest Pro '01 series, EV P3000.

Which also make it quite easy to choose a proper sub amplifier. LOL

Macrotech docs, even specify the PSU efficiency, so you know well in advance, if you intend to get full power output at 40hz, ensure you have manly mains input !!
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 2:13pm
Indeed mate,the specs of todays junks are just to make people confused,the ratings now in terms of power are pushed to maximum because people like to see big numbers....if you try to sell today 2x500w rms power amp 20hz-20khz nobody will buy it....but if you rate same amplifier at 2x2000w rms (just for 0.3us) people will buy it LOLLOL because 4000w of power in a frequency you might never use and a power you never gonna have it sounds better then 2x500w LOLLOL and if you are not happy with results...you might need a stronger one....that's why today the smallest events have 20.000w of power (on paper) to cover 100 ppl LOLLOL

Edited by EmPro - 28 June 2022 at 2:17pm
EmPro Audio
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 2:15pm
the old HH (and Citronic PPX for that matter) were made before MCB boards were widely in use in the UK and the soft start where fitted is minimal. SOme of these vintage amps were known for blown (either open or short) mains switches for a similar reason. Domestic type B breakers do not like these old amps due to the inrush, an industrial type C is usually ok.

But an MA5000 has full triac-controlled soft start and is very kind to the supply.

THe regulations regarding mains power wiring, installation and inspection in the UK are some of the strictest in the world. If an appliance on a power outlet causes 'sag' of the mains voltage and restriction of power available, time to call in the electrician because something in the building will be getting very hot and posing a fire risk.

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 28 June 2022 at 2:16pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 2:23pm
This is the reason why they invent the soft start,tyred of melted/welded/shorted/blow up power switches LOLLOLLOL
EmPro Audio
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

The regulations regarding mains power wiring, installation and inspection in the UK are some of the strictest in the world. If an appliance on a power outlet causes 'sag' of the mains voltage and restriction of power available, time to call in the electrician because something in the building will be getting very hot and posing a fire risk.

This is quite frequent, and so very scary.

I've played large number of gigs in venue with mate, where we monitored current draw of 2x MA5000VZ, on same ring main, and we permitted no more than 29A, and they could do this without voltage dropping below approx 239V.

Same venue, different day, same setup, and if another crew were playing in a different hall, we could not draw > 20A, before mains voltage dropped below 230V !!!
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 12:05pm
Speaking of,my last achizition,got it this morning as pictured,the left ear rack broken by UPS c_nts....but however the ampifier really looks like new inside and outside,bias was way off grid,after adjustments the amp is working flawless,i will still however resolder both amplifier stage boards as i don't like how they look compare to my other MT-s.

Edited by EmPro - 29 June 2022 at 12:08pm
EmPro Audio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>