Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mega of London

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2012 at 7:42am
I know the phillishave's but what are " ladyshave's " ?
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2012 at 7:50am
The Philly is a 2x12. I believe the Lady's are a single.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2012 at 7:57am
Yup.looked exactly the same as a Phillyshave,but was around one third smaller all round,contained a single 12" ATC,mounted on a fibreglass flare,and had the same cheesegrater grill as the philly.

Martin used them mainly on top of a 2x15 reflex cabinet,with the HF1 radial horn on top,designed for sidefill etc.
Be seeing you.
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2012 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Martin used them mainly on top of a 2x15 reflex cabinet,with the HF1 radial horn on top,designed for sidefill etc.

Yes, that combination was known as the FR3 system:

BR215 bass cabinet. Early ones were fitted with RCF L15P06C's, later ones had ATC's which might be either the 3" or 4" coil versions.
MH112 "Ladyshave" mid. Early ones had an RCF L12P24, later an ATC/Martin M1220.
HF2R horn, same as an HF2 but fitted with a 1" to 2" adaptor and a Renkus-Heinz SSD1800 driver (some were supplied with a JBL2425 as an option at extra cost)
A passive crossover was fitted in the HF cabinet with a connector to link to the mid, but the system could also be used 3-way active.

There was also an HF2E fitted with an Emilar EC175, and an HF2R/S with an additional JBL 2402H supertweeter, either of which might be found on an old FR3 system.

They were aimed at the "small PA" market and as mentioned above were popular as sidefills on big stages.

There was an Ultravox tour in which a row of FR3's were used as backline. They can be seen on the cover of the album recorded on the tour.  "Monument", maybe?

colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2012 at 6:44pm
Here's a bashed up version for those who haven't seen the FR3 system
Lovely sounding system for it's size.

Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2012 at 6:46pm
Just in case anyone is interested---I have four BR215 cabinets here which are empty---I may be persuaded to part with them---Cheers--John.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2012 at 6:50pm
Well done for finding that photo Colin,you can see from that the Ladyshave cab was the same width as the HF2 radial horn cab,at 22inches,making it considerably smaller than the Phillyshaves' 30 inches.
Be seeing you.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2012 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Well done for finding that photo Colin,you can see from that the Ladyshave cab was the same width as the HF2 radial horn cab,at 22inches,making it considerably smaller than the Phillyshaves' 30 inches.

And a hell of a lot lighter too, personally I've always preferred the smaller cab not so "in your face" and always seemed to have a little more finesse.

I also preferred the Emular comp too, The SSD1800 had a bad habit of self destruction when pushed to hard and tended to get a little harsh at upper levels.

Edited by colint - 04 September 2012 at 7:07pm
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2012 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

Just in case anyone is interested---I have four BR215 cabinets here which are empty---I may be persuaded to part with them---Cheers--John.

I think we need to start a thread where anyone can put up the name of a cab and the winner is the first one where John says, "Ummm, nope. Haven't got one of those".
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2012 at 8:55pm
LOL
Be seeing you.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2012 at 9:06pm
I can actually swing a cat round in our garage now Eddie as the stocks are dwindling somewhat---I still have about 200 assorted drivers which I really need to sort out and get them moved on before the mice come back indoors for the winter period and still have a wall of rackmounted gear as well.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2012 at 9:18pm
Bloomin 'eck John, you're taking this retirement lark quite seriously aren't you!
Bet you still can't get a car in there though.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>