FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wiring 2 speakers and a tweeter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiring 2 speakers and a tweeter
    Posted: 23 July 2012 at 2:47pm
Or:
PM Tony Wilkes on here about the dB-Mark ones
http://www.forteaudio.eu/ and follow the link to 'Loudspeaker Processors'.

You will find some good reports by users of these in various threads on here.

Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Andygee70 Andygee70 wrote:

Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

It´s really not that complicated. Just invest in an active 3-way stereo crossover. Smile

That way all you have to worry about is matching the amps and speakers and can avoid all the mind-boggling passive xover calculations.  (But don´t mention run-times and phase!) LOL  Tongue  LOL

Very good, lol!

Okay, but I guess it's quite difficult to get an active 3-way stereo crossover in the UK (all google searches comes up with digital units to put in flightcases).

Yes, the crossover should go in a rack (along with the amps!  Smile).

Here´s a few:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=3-way+stereo+active+crossover&_sacat=0&_odkw=3-way+srereo+active+crossover&_osacat=0

Or:

http://www.thomann.de/es/search_dir.html?sid=777ce30dbab1713a0ee1d4871bdedc75&xsid=777ce30dbab1713a0ee1d4871bdedc75&sw=crossovers&x=0&y=0

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Andygee70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andygee70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 10:06am
I know the present system works exceptionally well, but my predicament is that when i do my own pa hire, I'll be allowed to use the amps and the subs but not the electro-voice speakers. So as much as the set-up is great i have to find an alternative speaker system so that i can maximize the amps that i can use (thus the hope of getting all speakers to work off 4 ohms). Which brings me to the original question of eventually constructing 4 cabs at a 1000w each with 4 Ohm impedance (to get the most out of my three amps that are rated at 1300w per channel at 4 ohms). So the question was more about the configuration of the mid / high cabs and speakers to be loaded in them.

Edited by Andygee70 - 23 July 2012 at 10:21am
lycantheleopard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lycantheleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 8:01am
with those crossover points, you are basicly getting everything from both zx5 and zx3 cabs, neither is a mid or a high, both are mid/high cabs, and thats why you like it, its got balls, its got detailed upper end, and its using what you own to its full potential.

the top end of a guitar absolutely comes out through the high frequency driver in the zx5 so please dont lose that good sound you already have.

with that unit, you own a threeway stereo crossover.  subs from 20 hz to 90 hz..fifteens from 100 hz to 1.2 khz, and horns from 1.2 khz to 20 khz..or something close to that.  this avoids all passive confusion, gives you the ability to swap drivers and play with the cabs till your happy, and means you only have to buyan amp since the crossover is already sorted
Andygee70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andygee70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2012 at 11:46pm

It´s really not that complicated. Just invest in an active 3-way stereo crossover. Smile

That way all you have to worry about is matching the amps and speakers and can avoid all the mind-boggling passive xover calculations.  (But don´t mention run-times and phase!) LOL  Tongue  LOL

Very good, lol!

Okay, but I guess it's quite difficult to get an active 3-way stereo crossover in the UK (all google searches comes up with digital units to put in flightcases).

On a seperate note, my crossover is set at the following frequencies:

Subs - 20Hz to 127Hz

ZX5s (15s) - 127Hz to 16.5Khz

ZX3s (12s) - 119Hz to 17.2Khz

Would I potentially be able to load the mid range cabinet with just 15" drivers and no HF driver without losing a lot of the guitar detail, because the guitar sounds superb through the ZX5s. How much does the guitar detail owe to the HF driver?

Edited by Andygee70 - 22 July 2012 at 11:49pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2012 at 1:39pm

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Andygee70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andygee70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2012 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by lycantheleopard lycantheleopard wrote:

sorry to hear we've put you off building and tweeking! lol we are after all, speaker plans, and we only wanted to help! *cries* wheres that silly fake angry face emoticon..

seriously though, in my post where i detailed the use of an amp for lows, mids, and highs, that is by far the simplest way to achieve your goal and could totally be done within your time constraint.

Thanks for the above, maybe I'm thinking about all this in the totally wrong way by putting the horse in front of the cart.

Because we bought three cracking PV amps on a deal and knowing the capability of the amps to run at 4 Ohms with a total potential output of nearly 8K (instead of the 4K/5K we currently have), I thought it logical to figure out a way of building the speakers to compliment the amps hence seeking advice on building 4 x 1000W cabinets to cover the mids & highs to go with the already upgraded bass bins (which was the easiest job in the world) with the Eminence Kilomax 18s.

I knew that the driver and horn loaded cabs would be more complicated, but not to the degree that you guys take it - which are to levels beyond my understanding. I'd even considered taking the guts out of a couple of old Peavey Messenger pairs (rated at about 500W @ 4 Ohms) and sticking them in a home-made cab and wire them up - at least the electronics would be there, plus HF drivers matched - and link in an internal speakon connection to hook up the speakers in line, with one external speakon coming from one channel of the amp. A voila! I get my 1000W speaker cabinet with 2 drivers and 2 HF drivers!

Another daft idea? Queue sniggers from the experts at the back! LOL

Edited by Andygee70 - 22 July 2012 at 1:17pm
lycantheleopard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lycantheleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2012 at 9:01am
sorry to hear we've put you off building and tweeking! lol we are after all, speaker plans, and we only wanted to help! *cries* wheres that silly fake angry face emoticon..

seriously though, in my post where i detailed the use of an amp for lows, mids, and highs, that is by far the simplest way to achieve your goal and could totally be done within your time constraint.
Andygee70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andygee70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2012 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by audiomik audiomik wrote:

Andy

yes, did see that you have revised your thoughts on your drivers.
However the same principles apply.

Have a look 12dB per Octave Crossover Design to see what size the Inductors and capacitors you will need to use for your crossover if you use a passive one. See also the 'make your own Inductor' link at the bottom of the page.
You will also need an 'L pad' to match your Horn output to the LF Drivers.

To be honest, the cost of these sort of Components for the power rating you are asking about will be most likely more than you can buy an LMS and additional Power Amplifier for your HF.
This will then give you much better control of your 'Speaker boxes

Mik

I'm so far out of my depth here dude it's unreal! Ha ha!

I'm gonna use the 'Make your own speaker system' book i bought for 8 quid as a very large and impractical beer matt, and ridicule myself for even thinking that all this was a good idea. I'll stick to what I know best, which is hitting the b-jesus out of a load of wood, plastic and metal which comes in construction form called a drum kit.

I'll leave the above methinks to people who know better. Was a nice thought for a while, then reality bites and we move on to the next stupid idea.

Thanks for all the support  you guys have given and the odd curve ball I think I took full in the face.

Ta ta for now Smile
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2012 at 6:22pm
Andy

yes, did see that you have revised your thoughts on your drivers.
However the same principles apply.

Have a look 12dB per Octave Crossover Design to see what size the Inductors and capacitors you will need to use for your crossover if you use a passive one. See also the 'make your own Inductor' link at the bottom of the page.
You will also need an 'L pad' to match your Horn output to the LF Drivers.

To be honest, the cost of these sort of Components for the power rating you are asking about will be most likely more than you can buy an LMS and additional Power Amplifier for your HF.
This will then give you much better control of your 'Speaker boxes

Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
Andygee70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andygee70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2012 at 5:59pm

Earplug

in the first post by the OP:
So, my problem lies in wanting to build a mid range speaker cabinet (woodwork sorted) that will house 2 x 15" 500W speakers @ 8 Ohms and a 45W 1" Tweeter @ 8 Ohms (all Eminence).

Somehow think your suggestion both won't have sufficient power rating or the correct impedance matching

Mik

Yeah, it may be a bit underpowered, but it is a mid-cab and we all know that 500W today is more like 100W of yester-year! LOL

Impedence should be ok for 8 ohm tweeter high-pass? Confused

Are you guys being serious or is it a thinly-veiled dig at my severe lack of knowledge? Smile

I thought a 1000W cab running at 4 Ohms (with a revised 2" HF driver as opposed to a 1" tweeter) had a bit of guts about it, or am I missing something?

Edited by Andygee70 - 21 July 2012 at 6:00pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2012 at 4:07pm

Earplug

in the first post by the OP:
So, my problem lies in wanting to build a mid range speaker cabinet (woodwork sorted) that will house 2 x 15" 500W speakers @ 8 Ohms and a 45W 1" Tweeter @ 8 Ohms (all Eminence).

Somehow think your suggestion both won't have sufficient power rating or the correct impedance matching

Mik

Yeah, it may be a bit underpowered, but it is a mid-cab and we all know that 500W today is more like 100W of yester-year! LOL

Impedence should be ok for 8 ohm tweeter high-pass? Confused

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>