Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

building your own sound pa system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alessandro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: building your own sound pa system
    Posted: 25 July 2012 at 8:16pm
Hi there new member please forgive my ignorance I would like to build my own pa sound system. I was at a scooter do at the weekend DJing and playing through a custom made sound system a reaggae rig that was built it sounded awsome. I have a love for everything old school I dont want to make anything to big but something that knocks a good bit of sound out the type of music I play is northern soul motown ska etc all on vinyl only most of my stuff is mono only. Now the amps I have at the moment are two 150 watt mono amps made by mustang communications of scarbrough I would like to build something around them if possible I just dont know where to start the amps can go from 4 ohms to 16 omhs and even do 100v line out put if some one could point me in the right direction that would be great.

regards Alessandro
Vert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 8:22pm
How many people would you like to cover with 300w? 
Box builder, pm for quote
Alessandro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alessandro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 8:26pm
Hi there not sure really maybe lets say 100 people I really aint sure but I would like to use the amps I have if possible sorry just dont know where to start

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alessandro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 8:44pm
If the amps go as low as 4 ohms what size speakers would be suitable i was thinking of a 2 way speaker system ?
Goodvibetribe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodvibetribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 11:39pm
2 Way is your bet bet but, Id maybe consider getting another amp to do that to power the subs. Id also stick to reflex designs. A pair or 12 or 15 subs or one dual sub. Then a pair of 10 or 12 mid/tops. You'd be able to power the bass with one amp and the mid/tops with the other or as suggested, get a slightly bigger amp for the subs and one amp each for the mid/highs. If you want something more compact, then id maybe build a pair of 15 or "12 full range speakers and again use one amp for each.
If you look about on ebay or even the 'for sale' section you will be able to pick up a fairly decent second hand amp for very little. Id reccommend about 300 watts per channel for the sort of thing your after. Dont need anything big for now, Or not until you get properly addicted to this sort of stuff anyway :) 
George c - www.gorilla-audio.co.uk facebook.com/gorillaaudiohire
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2012 at 6:02pm
I like the idea of a small rig to play vintage soul and stuff! A few years I put together a small rig for just this purpose, thing is that I had to get modern speakers to give the loudness I wanted and everything got big and heavy! I now need to accept that I don't have the room to store it or the strength to lift it all. Not practical for me.

Vintage basically means heavy and reflex 300w is not going to be that efficient or go that low. So what I'd recommend is using modern efficient MTs and tapped horns for bass then you won't be disappointed. Having said that, there are some vintage beautiful systems on here (Mr JBL) and other modern compact, but very pro, DIY reflex systems that look amazing. So I could be wrong. I also saw a guy recently that plays 78s over a 45W kt88 amp on his custom rig and it was loud, for what it was. Sound was beautiful at his dances.

Sorry, I didn't really answer your Q did I?

S

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alessandro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2012 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Sheggy Sheggy wrote:

I like the idea of a small rig to play vintage soul and stuff! A few years I put together a small rig for just this purpose, thing is that I had to get modern speakers to give the loudness I wanted and everything got big and heavy! I now need to accept that I don't have the room to store it or the strength to lift it all. Not practical for me.

Vintage basically means heavy and reflex 300w is not going to be that efficient or go that low. So what I'd recommend is using modern efficient MTs and tapped horns for bass then you won't be disappointed. Having said that, there are some vintage beautiful systems on here (Mr JBL) and other modern compact, but very pro, DIY reflex systems that look amazing. So I could be wrong. I also saw a guy recently that plays 78s over a 45W kt88 amp on his custom rig and it was loud, for what it was. Sound was beautiful at his dances.

Sorry, I didn't really answer your Q did I?

S

Hi Sheggy well you sort of did answer my question I used to have some moon equipment PA speakers which were around early 70's they were more voice than anything else they had fane units in them but I sold them recently .They sounded good but not much bass on em now the amps I bought recently are early 70's and when I had the moons I hooked em up to the mustang amps and they where pushing just over 100db on these 12 inch moons so basically can anybody recommend some period pa speakers I could pick up with a bit more bass on em I have heard old cloud speakers in the past and they always seem to sound pretty good. Like I say the amps go from 4ohm right up to 16 0hm am I right in thinking the lower the ohm the more easy it is to drive the speakers or is it the other way round ? sorry I'm a bit dumb
 Post Reply Post Reply