Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grilles for X1?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VinceC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grilles for X1?
    Posted: 10 August 2012 at 12:32pm
Hi All,

Having just discovered a Void V18-1000 paper cone has been munched by a mouse that got inside one of my X1 cabinets, I am thinking it might make a lot of sense to put grilles over the ports!!

Has anyone tried this?

I would like to set them inside the ports, but that would require a small wooden batten - maybe 3/4" wide - set inside each port to screw the grill down onto.

This will disrupt the airflow to an extent, and reduce the port area, but would it be a significant effect?

Any thoughts or ideas gratefully received.

Cheers, Vince
Your Music. Your Sound.
Wrek0ne View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrek0ne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2012 at 2:31pm
A grill will not affect the sound in any way. Putting the grills on the inside is common on bp6 sub ports. Sorry to hear your cone was munched, never herd of it happening before but I could see why a mouse may find an X1 a desirable home. 
Poll this!
VinceC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VinceC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2012 at 3:32pm
Hi Wrek0ne,

Yeah, it was a bit unexpected!! Here's a pic of the damage:

Thats no way for a V18-1000 to die!

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated. These X1s were installed in a venue for a while, and it seems the punters will put just about anything in any available opening. I also found a bottle cork, 20p and a serviette in this one!!

Cheers, Vince
Your Music. Your Sound.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2012 at 2:38pm
I have loads of offcuts which would be suitable.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
VinceC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VinceC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 4:16pm
Hi Markie,

Thanks for the offer. I still have some perforated steel in stock from previous re-grilling projects, but if I run short I'll be sure to contact you.

All the best,

Vince
Your Music. Your Sound.
cassiya View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 10:37pm
Markie..
Why not just fit round 18" grills over the speaker? That way our void is protected and your Mouse still has a home..I think thats a very good compromise..
Just because you got more boxes that don't make you a man....
VinceC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VinceC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2013 at 10:39pm
Hi Cassiya,

Snag is the cabinet is a reflex design so the little blighters could still get in round the back if they fancied a tasty Void snack.

I've cut some grilles to put in the ports now, and I'll post a pic once the weather improves and I can wheel an X1 out into the light!!

Cheers, VInce
Your Music. Your Sound.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2013 at 9:35am
If it's any consolation it looks like an easy repair, only needs the surround replaced.
VinceC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VinceC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2013 at 6:23pm

Its a recone job as you can't repair something like that - Void have the recone kits, I just need to get round to buying one!!

Your Music. Your Sound.
V-ITAL Sound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-ITAL Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 6:50pm
anybody done this already?
put grills on the ports?
I want to prevent people from kicking glass and other shit in.
anybody have an idea how to solve this cheaply?
thanks

Edited by V-ITAL Sound - 02 April 2013 at 7:55pm
VinceC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VinceC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2013 at 9:29pm
Hi,

Yes I have made some grilles, and I fitted out one cabinet before the winter closed in last year.

I've got my other 3 X1s still to do, so I'll try to take some pics and put them up here soon.

Basically, I cut perforated steel grilles that fit in the 4 port openings, and used a wooden batten at either end of the port to support the grill. As the grilles are pretty small, the two battens is enough to hold them in place with minimum impact on the port area.

They will definitely keep junk and small furry creatures out!!

Cheers, Vince 
Your Music. Your Sound.
C-Audiofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2015 at 8:02pm
i have spotted mouse shit in the storage room where i intend to keep my x1's megatons and ev tops would really liketo seesome pics of how people have added port grills to theirs if anybody has pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>