Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mackie SRM450 V1 & V2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mackie SRM450 V1 & V2
    Posted: 13 August 2012 at 12:53pm
Ive got some mk1 SRM450's, early made in italy ones with RCF drivers. The cases are in 'well used' condition & i dont often use them now because of this.. they look tatty! Too tatty for discos & too good to hire to the 'local youth'(polite term!) for house parties.. I have several pairs of Carlsbro gamma's for that..

I was thinking of getting a pair of SRM450 V2 versions & swopping the drivers over.. So i will end up with mk1 components in a mk2 case, making it all look nice & fresh & retaining the good sound that they have

Now my question, Is there any changes on the V2 stopping me from doing this (bass driver & HF size & fitting) ? I know the SRM450's are a bit awkward in the sense u cant just put any old 12'' driver in there, so thought id ask before spending my well earned cash.
Also as regards to the internal amp, is the v2 better than the v1 ? or does that also suffer from cheap build & not as good performance as the original v1's version ?  I know the v2's dont suffer with over heating & cutting out as much as the v1's when being spanked or used outside with the sun beaming down onto the heatsink's..

Just wanted peoples thoughts on this..

My other option is to sell them on & but a pair of RCF art series or FBT speakers..  Whats people's views on Active full range speakers for less than £1k ?

Im a big fan of the SRM450's tho, i think they sound great, although im open to suggestions..

They will be mainly used for disco use, floor monitoring for bands, monitors for DJs on my bigger system... and mid tops along with 15'' or 18'' bins for the larger village hall gigs when im i want to take minimal kit..  They need to be full range & fairly good for bass in a small / medium size room.

Thanks in advance :)
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2012 at 1:20pm
I would assume you need to swap the amp as well as drivers as teh amp carries the xover setting for your RCFs.

Also you may want to hire a Mk2 and quickly whip it apart to see if this will work, personally I suspect the Mk2 has had some cab tuning done to make it sound more bassy, hence the horrible bonking noise they make!
But worth a quick trial to see if proper drivers will resolve that noise.

As for other actives Sub £1K FBT may be fine for disco but I wouldn't want to put anything live through them, a SRM450 Mk2 beats the FBTs I've heard.

I haven't heard the Arts so can't comment, I have, however heard the D B Tech Operas and IMHO wish I hadn't, shocking!

lickweed View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lickweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2012 at 2:17pm
Heard both srmv2 and fbt,and i would say fbt sound much nicer
http://www.liquidsound.co.uk/
swannie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2012 at 11:09am
Thanks for the info, yeah some good points there, regarding the amp module & tuning of the cab. I think i will get hold/borrow/hire maybe buy a v2 & have a comparison of the 2 before i decide which route to take
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2012 at 12:27pm
has anyone tried the qsc k10 and 12 yet?

kev

Edited by kevin tyler - 14 August 2012 at 12:27pm
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2012 at 12:58pm
I've never liked the SRM-450's...
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2012 at 11:33am
re the mackies, i had 2 pair of them and had no problems with them, however like any speaker, when you push them beyond their limits they sound awful.

anyone on the qsc k series please or yammy dsr?

cheers

Edited by kevin tyler - 15 August 2012 at 11:40am
tall_mike View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tall_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2012 at 11:41am
We did a comparison between Mackie v1 and v2 and the FBT stuff - FBT won on headroom, overall power handling, and response. The only thing is that they're not as cheap as the Mackie stuff.
Dougies Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dougies Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2012 at 4:13pm
450s are fine when they're not thrashed.. 
The problem is, most of the people who use them thrash the shit out of them so they always sound like they'd happily strip the paint off the back wall.

I bought 3 of the 350V2s not long ago and have been very impressed by them. Very nice sound and impressive LF response.

Although they're not built with the same quality RCF components anymore, I wouldn't rule out the fact that the 450V2s might sound very good indeed.. if used within their limits.. And it might therefore be more trouble than it's worth swapping the insides over...

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2012 at 6:07pm
Some kind of inline filter to notch the HF down 3dB would sort the screaming when ragged right out, to be honest.
lycantheleopard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lycantheleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2012 at 7:18pm
the v1 does sound better but a lot of folks like the lowend response of the v2 and think its a more powerful speaker because of this..friend has a pair of v1s that have been out to burning man, a dusty, crazy, hot dessert party six years running and are still doing quite well.

the qsc k series rungs out of headroom pretty quick and the cabs feel exceptionally cheap, which they are not! plus they dont have the bass response needed to stand on there own, and the matching k sub is a total joke for the price.
wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2012 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Some kind of inline filter to notch the HF down 3dB would sort the screaming when ragged right out, to be honest.

+1 tbh i find that they need the high end taming a bit anyway. At the end of the day they do what they do and i never get any complaints from people that hire them i.e. ease of use, loudness, bass response. Ok they're not hifi but for small jobs it's a no brainer imo.

Post Reply Post Reply