Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alesis M1 active repair help needed!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2012 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

once again problem solved, dodgy solder on the 8th LM3886T leg - had solved this before your reply, but never mind.

Haha - they say that 90% of the problems with electronic gear comes down to bad solder joints...  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2012 at 6:36pm

Be sure to use thermal paste between module and the heatsink it bolts onto. I find to get a consistant thin layer, put on a 'blob' in the centre, then spread with a stanleyknife blade - this will give you a smooth consistant level [same for installing computer CPU heatsinks].

I wouldn't advise spreading it, just put a small rice grain or a bit smaller in the centre of the package and then slowly tighten the mounting bolt. But over the front of the package use a washer or small plate to evenly distribute the force. The actual die inside is not going to be an bigger then 5mm square, probably smaller so all you really need is good heat distribution from the centreof the package to the heatsink. If I used a Stanley blade I would be concerned that it might be too thin somewhere. Of course too thick is bad as well.

Bare in mind you will need a steady hand when soldering components - if you havnt soldered before try building a random circuit first! A solder sucker is vital for clearing solder to remove components.

Good luck

Even better than a solder sucker is some solder wick. In fact it is 10x better. Also some flux for reworking.

Edited by odc04r - 17 September 2012 at 6:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12