Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crown iTech series any good?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesFlipside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crown iTech series any good?
    Posted: 10 September 2012 at 2:26pm
What are people experiences with the crown iTech and MAi series?
"DFA switch fitted"
fredos666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredos666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 3:03pm
Bad... Unreliable, blow for nothing... Specialy outside under the sun...
JamesFlipside View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesFlipside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 3:18pm
Thats a shame, considering the macro-tech series are such tanks.
Lab Gruppen FP+ ?
"DFA switch fitted"
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 3:50pm
FP+ = Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up
JamesFlipside View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesFlipside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 4:01pm
So much money though :(
Are there second hand ones around?

"DFA switch fitted"
Motion54 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motion54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 7:26pm
I've had two. Never has a problem. The earlier ones were unreliable when they 1st came out, but most if not all have gone back to crown and had faults rectified.

Used mine (Itech 8000), at carnival for 2days on sub duty at full pelt and no problems.
In my opinion, one of the best sounding lightweight amps.

Another dude on here (venture sounds) swears by them.

I had 2 on ebay upto this weekend. Sold one but now decided to keep the other.
Listen to people who have used them rather people who listen to rumours.

I might know Someone who is selling one
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2012 at 11:44am
horrible things
Kevin

North Staffordshire

U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2012 at 1:46pm
I-Techs are around the very few of good sounding switching amps. For example they are much better in mids-high range than Powersoft K series. The general problem with the I-techs is the reliability especially tons of boards and connectors inside. Two of mine even did not survive a single transport by van to remote area of Romania...
The roads in Romania are crazy bad anyways.
Another thing is that I-tech has bit smaller power supply what you would except, so sometimes the long low-frequency tones are not so so strong. For example the PKN XD6000 beats the I-tech8000 in sustained power if we speak about low frequency response.

Be very careful to get older/used ones! They had multiple glitches previously which has been eliminated then by hw/sw changes. Old ones are on the used market cause the repair is difficult and big rentals rather work with newer amps fully covered by warranty...

Edited by U.Viktor - 11 September 2012 at 1:51pm
lost eden View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost eden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2012 at 1:49pm
Was about to come running to the itech's defense, then realised what I've used are XTI...
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2012 at 1:53pm
The XTI is a joke compared to an I-Tech ;-D
VentureSound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VentureSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2012 at 11:41pm
Really what Motion54 and U.Viktor said. I have three of these and they are good, powerful, nice sounding amps. 
You need to be careful when buying used, as the very early ones were unreliable and nearly ruined Crown's name. Over the years of production Crown sorted out the problems, and there are about half a dozen mods which have been made, some electrical and some mechanical. Things like ribbon cables working loose/ going brittle (which were changed later for tougher ones etc), and a few small components were uprated.
Internally they are very complex with lots of SMT components (similar to powersoft in complexity) and as such when they need repair need to be taken to the distributor or a Crown authorised repair centre rather than your local TV repair man. 
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2012 at 9:48am
We have had to repair booth I-techs, PowersoftK and PKNs previously. What was a surprise that Powersoft amps are really not so complex than I-tech. The amplifier part of Crown is at least twice as more complex than PowersoftK, probably this is the reason why the interleaved switching of the Crown sounds far better than simple Class-D Powersoft :-)
There are some parallel-connected small foil capacitors in the Crown , when one burns easily destroys the multilayer board and then pretty difficult to rescue the damaged board.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>