Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PD2450

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2006 at 7:55am
what kind of range/spl does that thing do?
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 12:56pm
sorry, haven't done any detailed measurements.
nice forum quote from Colin Oood who played on it in2004, outside, in spain...
"Crystal clear with a kick like a mule on PCP... and the 6K supersubs under the stage really did what they said on the tin; those f****** roll off at 17Hz when aligned correctly. I'm not exaggerating when I say that you could have a (loud!) conversation right up againstthe stacks, yet 150m away the sound was still all-enveloping and you could still feel each bass drum kick you in the chest. Amazingly there was NO EQ on the system at all; just crossovers and amplifiers, and it could easily have catered for 10 times the amount of people who attended. the on stage sound was similarly exellent, also being opus. Thanks Jodie, Steve, Valerie and all the opus crew - if we ever get  a major world tour I know who's supplying our sound!"
www.isratrance.com  forum
Needed a hell of a clean afterwoods! 4 days & nights in a desert.
found someone asleep in it at one point, still running!

Improvised Hardware Music http://vimeo.com/user9389813/videos
jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 1:26pm
man, I want to build something like that.
Spent most of last night day(night?)dreaming about building a horn with side panels the size of 8x4 sheets.. Just for fun, you know.
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 4:10pm
use silicone instead of glue, and you could assemble on site, & dismantle
This one moves in 4 pieces, 2 half horns, & 2 'cartidges'. still fills a large transit.
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2007 at 11:45am
Just assembled 2 single 2450 "wheelie bins" for my own rig, as a much easier option than "national thunder". I'll post some build pics up soon, and frequency plots.

National thunder, with the Wheelie Bin double 15's, and the 1st prototype of my new tops.

& The new 2450 Wheelie Subs.

Edited by opus jody - 13 June 2007 at 11:51am
bitcore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2007 at 4:39am
Pretty cool looking, the blue lights are an interesting touch. Just curious, how heavy is one of those monsters?
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2007 at 7:23am
National Thunder: 6/8 man lift, but then it wasn't designed to be mobile.
PD2450: i've done my back lifting one on my own before - much care required.
the new wheelie subs: will probably be ok for 2 (strong) people to get it up stairs due to the ease of moving the old scoop bin style wheel/handle design. still the best design i've used for lifting up stairs due to the straight back lifting and ease of resting on each step, if necessary.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2007 at 7:42am
Opus! they look cool, but please tell me there is more bracing than what's in the sketch's?
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2007 at 1:32pm
There is a bit, to support the sides of the cone that aren't supported by the sides of the box, but i did some research, & bracing to reduce panel resonance is not that effective, as the whole box moving was more of an issue, at least with 24mm birch. Good fill/wadding has more benefits. Carpeted boxes also has a huge effect on reducing panel resonance, noticable in a club where all the bass was just under the dj booth - a load of painted KV2 bass caused all sorts of deck problems, yet carpetted opus bass had no major issues, so could be played a lot louder. (both were 18" reflex).
most of the time they'll be horizontal & sandwiched under the rest of the rig anyway. The triangular cutouts do a fair bit for bracing too.
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2007 at 12:35am
wahay! they're done!
S U P U R B.
Very quick, low & accurate. this is a stunning driver. I was a bit worried that the smaller box (compared to the huge double 24) would mean it would lose the lowest frequencies, but it measures superbly flat from 30-80Hz, is only slightly down at 20Hz, and sounds surprisingly tight at the higher bass frequencies. No equalisation required at all. Designed slighly deeper than the double 15's it is to work with, so the driver time allignment is done physically by lining up the rears of the boxes (2450 is a physically very deep cone). eezy peezy to build, just need a dustpan & brush to bang the screws in.

Having all those extra frequencies really makes a more natural sounding sound. they don't SOUND really loud, just really lush (not that they're quiet).
Also, good news today that PD will have my 4ohm cones finnished very soon, so i'll be able to get some proper ampage into the boxes.
The funny bass setup above is something I've been working on too. Absolutely no bass between 40-80 Hz can be heard out at the sides of the stage. lots of info to follow soon.

Edited by opus jody - 28 July 2007 at 12:46am
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2007 at 10:15am
Jody,just a small point,but the baffle doesnt look thick enough to support the weight? especially as you have recessed the octagonal chassis,making the baffle thinner....just wondered if a sandwich of 2x 18mm ply stuck together would be more rigid?
Ian.
Be seeing you.
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2007 at 11:06am
You can't see it in the pictures, but there is considerable support that was put in after the box building bit, so all the main attachment points for the driver are braced to the rear of the box. that adds support to the 14mm of wood the whole driver sits on. Seems rigid enough. I will check it in a few months though - you might be right!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>