Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Warming up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrspeedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by mooreb mooreb wrote:

My Range was like that, Turned out to be diesel injectors and oil rings, Be careful!!!

Yeah i reckon the injectors are on the way out, it runs a bit rough nowadays and always runs rough when you start it. clears a bit as soon as you have revved it. 
Will get them re-conditioned probably.
Oil rings?

Toby
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 2:49pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 3:30pm
Just to take this back to the original question: do lightweights like to warm up to sound their best - any comments?

Don't test the champignon sound
simonh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by mrspeedy mrspeedy wrote:

To be honest, my diesel van performs alot better when cold actually...
Even runs better if the air is cool with low humidity (i.e winter)!
Never noticed any distortion on my amps when outdoors in a marquee in sub 15deg temperatures. 
From memory that's to do with the density of air which is affected by heat.  The colder the air, the higher the density, the greater potential for combustion (as long as the engine doesn't run lean).  20 years since I last looked at combustion theory, so I may be a little rusty... LOL
wayward91 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayward91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 3:37pm
someones on the payroll of an energy supplier ;) . ...but yes I'm undecided on this . i know someone with a linn system that doesn't get turned off unless there is a power cut or they are moving house . I'm a little less convinced about an audible change due to solid state bit of kit been left on. 

perhaps its just habit but if i do any serious hi-fi listening i do let the system play for 20 mins or so first, i suppose all the components would reach the normal operating temperature and in the process its bound to change how something preforms .  
... I'm sure my cheapo super x-over pro hisses less after 30 mins or so or is it just faulty. lol 
wayward91 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayward91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 3:38pm
double post

Edited by wayward91 - 09 October 2012 at 3:38pm
mrspeedy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrspeedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 3:55pm
@ simonh
That sounds about right! 
My kart always used to run better in the cooler weather too. Much unlike my toes and fingers!!!

And to answer the OP's question. My 3 Crown Pulses have never sounded strange on initial soundcheck when used outdoors in the cold.
I always give them 2 mins to settle down after turn on before raising the levels mind you.
Never had an issue with cold amps not sounding 'right' or distorting.

I should think its a placebo effect type thing. Blindfold them and then I'm sure if you cradled their hi-fi amps and heated them in an amp teacosy but didnt tell them, they'd still say it sounded distorted.

Edited by mrspeedy - 09 October 2012 at 3:57pm
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 4:00pm
Re: "Never noticed any distortion on my amps when outdoors in a marquee in sub 15deg temperatures."

and

Re: "in fact, in very cold (sub zero) start up conditions, they can sometimes sound so distorted that it sounds like all the cones are blown"

Both of these statements earlier in this thread show the effects of the thermal range variations for specified operation of electronic components........

Whilst these components might function at reduced temperatures their performance may well not be within the specification required by the circuit design.

just my 2p worth......

Mik

Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
mrspeedy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrspeedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 4:03pm
I agree with Mik's comment entirely 
Jasonstry View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonstry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 4:51pm
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Just my 2p but I know with absolute certainty that the laws of physics dictate that my system should sound just as good when it is first fired up as it does after an hour or two of use but my ears tell me that the laws of the universe are actually wrong..... Think I will buy gold plated fuses for my amps while I am it....
Andy
Down with signatures!
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 5:05pm
How long does it take you to get the first couple of beers away. I always find my gear sounds better a few hours into a night LOL
wayward91 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayward91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

How long does it take you to get the first couple of beers away. I always find my gear sounds better a few hours into a night LOL

Haa, +1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>