Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

American Audio Amps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: American Audio Amps
    Posted: 25 October 2012 at 8:25pm
I'm considering buying one of the above. I want something around 2 x 1000 @ 4 ohms and as the above brand has a 5 year warranty it seems the obvious choice.

There is one aspect I find confusing and that is that the VX2500 seems to be slightly more expensive than the XLT2500. The VX is a heavy amp whereas  the XLT is lightweight which you would think would be more expensive, not less.

Can anyone shed any light.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2012 at 8:51pm
XLT2500 is a sae design OEM Amplifier. It looks good on paper but sucks bad in real life

I had a test of a 2x700W switchmode amp from the same series against a 700W clasic amp and the diference in power is huge especially on bass.
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2012 at 9:34pm
I did wonder if someone would say that. To be honest I've never been over keen on lightweight amps.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2012 at 8:36am
I have lightweight amps that do the business: DT6800 from ECLER, but they are not exactly cheap :)

The problem is that there are a lot of crap ones coming from China that give lighweights a bad name.
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2012 at 9:14pm
VX2500 isn't a bad amp from what I've seen of it.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2012 at 10:46pm
  I've not any experience of the vx2500 (or xlt2500) but have put the older vlp2500 into a local pub running bass and found it to be a cracking amp, very heavy sound wise and weight. Big smile
RosscoPico View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RosscoPico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 10:29am

Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

I'm considering buying one of the above. I want something around 2 x 1000 @ 4 ohms and as the above brand has a 5 year warranty it seems the obvious choice.

There is one aspect I find confusing and that is that the VX2500 seems to be slightly more expensive than the XLT2500. The VX is a heavy amp whereas  the XLT is lightweight which you would think would be more expensive, not less.

Can anyone shed any light.

Hi Markie - the AA range comes with 1yr warranty as standard in the UK and 3yrs in the US as far as I know.  I have once seen an AA amp advertised with 5yr warranty, but I presume that was offered by the reseller in the same manner that DV247 offer a 4yr warranty on products they sell (but they don't sell AA amps from what I'm aware).

I'm not sure sure about the price difference.  The VX has been around for a while, where as the XLT range is relatively new.  Pretty often and as I'm sure you've noticed, you'll see that newer ranges of amps and electronic equipment will surpass their predecessors in terms of performance, albeit at a lower cost.  Technology is always moving on.  The VX range has more features and an LCD display which made them more expensive than the VLP range.  The LED gain and clip lights are better on the new XLT range as they give a better indication of what the amp is delivering, compared to the old VLP range.  I hope that helps!

Cedharden - I'd agree that the VX2500 isn't a bad amp and neither is the VLP2500 (as NJW also mentioned).

This has made me curious when I then read..

Originally posted by <strong>Mircea</strong> Bartic Mircea Bartic wrote:

XLT2500 is a sae design OEM Amplifier. It looks good on paper but sucks bad in real life

I had a test of a 2x700W switchmode amp from the same series against a 700W clasic amp and the diference in power is huge especially on bass.

First of all, I've had first hand experience with all of the VX range, VLP range and most of the V range.  By the way, the VX and V range are now discontinued.

As for the XLT range, we tested out an XLT2500 and we're very happy with the performance.  We did even notice better performance from this amp (running 2x15" loaded bandpass subs), than with their VLP2500 and VX-2500.  To explain this, we've had the vlp and vx amps running up to clipping point on these amps and they haven't made the ferrite magnets warm up all that much.  Whereas the XLT has managed to get the magnets pretty warm, even though we've not reached the clip lights.  Okay this isn't a conclusive test, but I just wanted to share my findings!  (note: the XLT2500 has slightly lower power ratings on paper than it's VX and VLP counterparts).

By your own admission Mircea, you are judging the XLT2500 based on your test results of a different model in the range - so you have just made an assumption that the XLT2500 model must therefore also be a weak performer...  

Which actual model was it that you tested, out of interest - was it the 750wpc XLT2000 and which "classic" amp did you compare it to?

I can understand why it would be easy to make this assumption, but with out actual proper comparison testing we can't know for sure.  However, something certainly seems a miss here as our findings seem to conflict with one another!

Following us trying out a single XLT2500 unit for a while, I've just placed an order today for some more of those along with a few of the XLT2000's and XLT900's too.  So I can report back in due course how we think they compare in relation to their specs.

Also the XLT2500 can run 2 ohms stereo, which the VLP range can't do.

Anyway, hopefully I might be able to get to the bottom of this conundrum soon..

My friend is the head of amps at Britannia Row Productions and he's got a dummy load and some expensive bench testing gear at his workplace, so I'm going to pop in there at some point soon to run a few testsSmile

Edited by RosscoPico - 01 November 2012 at 10:49am
.:ELEMENT 5 SYSTEMS:.
 Post Reply Post Reply