Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

struggling with c drive

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2012 at 12:39pm
Never used vista, but same should apply...
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2012 at 10:51am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

Don't try it's shite, Last year I bought my wife an 800 quid all singing/dancing Toshiba laptop with vista installed and it's the biggest pile of crap ever made, Youtube is totally un-watchable and everything else is so slow it's a joke even after a re-load of the operating system
My ten year old Compaq walks all over it despite being bashed to hell and back & being 9 years out of date.  
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2012 at 11:07am
Originally posted by colint colint wrote:

Toshiba laptop with vista installed

Yup .... and the thing that gets me is that alot of manufacturers will do not offer device drivers to support e.g. winxp (with which the machine would probably perform perfectly well).

Its usually possible - albeit with a degree of hoop-jumping - to persuade winxp to work. In that instance - before getting rid of vista, open up the device manager and note down the device list as fully as possible. Then google around for winxp device drivers for those components from other models and other manufacturers .... most importantly the motherboard chipset drivers/support s/w.
It can take a while .... some educated guesswork involved - and its likely there'll be an "unknown device" or two .... but the important stuff will work. Always worth looking at Dell and HP et al sites, as their corporate models still have to support winxp.

Oh yeah - if you want to preserve the vista recovery partition - arguably worth doing - try and back up the custom boot sectors that enable access to said recovery partition via a keystroke at boot time.

Edited by slaz - 10 November 2012 at 11:09am
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2012 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

Yup .... and the thing that gets me is that alot of manufacturers will do not offer device drivers to support e.g. winxp (with which the machine would probably perform perfectly well).

Its usually possible - albeit with a degree of hoop-jumping - to persuade winxp to work. In that instance - before getting rid of vista, open up the device manager and note down the device list as fully as possible. Then google around for winxp device drivers for those components from other models and other manufacturers .... most importantly the motherboard chipset drivers/support s/w.
It can take a while .... some educated guesswork involved - and its likely there'll be an "unknown device" or two .... but the important stuff will work. Always worth looking at Dell and HP et al sites, as their corporate models still have to support winxp.

Oh yeah - if you want to preserve the vista recovery partition - arguably worth doing - try and back up the custom boot sectors that enable access to said recovery partition via a keystroke at boot time.

All/most of the drivers are available from one site the only thing that's stopping me is the cost of XP itself.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2012 at 12:45pm

Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

All/most of the drivers are available from one site the only thing that's stopping me is the cost of XP itself.

Yeah well - I'd say "morally" you're entitled to use XP .... you've already paid for vista fer gawds sake (a later "superior" OS) ..... how M$ expects you to pay again for a "downgrade" (as they see it) is beyond me.
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2012 at 1:19pm
if you nip over to the M$ site they are doing a £25 upgrade to Win8..... not like it could be any worse then Vista

..unless they start selling Win Millennium again... lol
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2012 at 1:20pm
its a 2gig d/l.... but it is cheap and will take a steap learning curve but the point is its a cheap upgrade to a better OS
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 2:35pm
Never had any problems with vista

Never ran it on a PC with a crap spec either

Seen plenty of friends complaining about poor speed on vista (often laptops) when they only have 1GB RAM and a crap celeron CPU

Shame that most manufacturers always insist on bundling far too much software in OS installs on new PCs
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 3:45pm
If they didn't it would cost more.

But yes, I always build my own and avoid the issue. Bit trickier with laptops.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12