Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which bass design for top 40 dance music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which bass design for top 40 dance music?
    Posted: 13 November 2012 at 9:26pm
Embarrassed
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 9:05pm
And besides, there is more than one active "Tony" , only one Mr Wilkes Wink
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

As Mr Wilkes notes, the sims scare you in terms of group delay and other nasties, but the real world "what does it sound like" seem to mask these nasties.

Matt, Oi, whats with the Mr Wilkes, it is Tony to you Sir :)

*doths cap* Only trying to add some victorian style respect for my elders and betters LOL

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

As Mr Wilkes notes, the sims scare you in terms of group delay and other nasties, but the real world "what does it sound like" seem to mask these nasties.

Matt, Oi, whats with the Mr Wilkes, it is Tony to you Sir :)
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 3:04pm

Originally posted by rish rish wrote:

whats very interesting to note is that tapped horns have come into their own. although this is old technology, it has evolved into being great cabs......

Fashion is part of it, they went out of fashion, 50 years ago, and were rediscovered 5ish years ago, just like the 80's.

All it takes is a modern driver to happen to fit, and suddenly an old design gets serious.

They are a nice compromise, some of the sound and throw (i.e limited) of a reflex, but with some of the gain/efficiency of a true horn. Many gigs don't need terrahorns or rhinos.

I consider THs to be as potentially deployable as reflex cabs, just with 3-6dB more gain for similar driver/power. Compromise is size, some complexity, and you have to be very sure on the driver choice, very specific requirements from sims. As Mr Wilkes notes, the sims scare you in terms of group delay and other nasties, but the real world "what does it sound like" seem to mask these nasties.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by +/-3dB +/-3dB wrote:

How does TH sound up close? Do you hear air compression like it can be done from some horns?
The reason I'm asking is I try to figure out which design sounds best in near field applications. In my case audience is at 1-8 m distance.

Stop worrying, just build the Tham15's and then say thank you to Anders.

Tony
+/-3dB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote +/-3dB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 12:46pm
How does TH sound up close? Do you hear air compression like it can be done from some horns?
The reason I'm asking is I try to figure out which design sounds best in near field applications. In my case audience is at 1-8 m distance.
djyves View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djyves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2012 at 11:13am
+1 for the CB-18 designs 
"If brute force doesn't work, you're just not using enough!"
rish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2012 at 6:45am
whats very interesting to note is that tapped horns have come into their own. although this is old technology, it has evolved into being great cabs. i do use the thams for small applications and in the process of building more cyclops for larger ones. i do use a stack of 3 thams15's a side for approx 150 to 200 peeps and its very very impressive.  once again a BIG THANKS to all the guys who share their design and input  ( Stapier, Martinsson and Tony Wilkes to name a few) and for your contribution and opinions on this forum.

band pass and horn loaded cabs will always have a place in the PA world but tapped horns in my opinion tops it with regard to sound quality.

Rish  
t.geessounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.geessounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2012 at 7:41pm
1+ for the cbe18
or the cbx
discosucks View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2012 at 4:19pm
CBE18S 
djsam3000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djsam3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2012 at 10:05am
Thanks for that
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>