Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which bass design for top 40 dance music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote +/-3dB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which bass design for top 40 dance music?
    Posted: 08 November 2012 at 5:10pm
Honorable SP members,

Which DIY design including drivers do you recommend to take care of the low end in a permanent dance floor installation?
I can find many plans but as I haven't heard any of them it's difficult to know which one to pick. From your experience, which are proven up to date designs?

Background:
We are a sports club who do own parties and organizes corporate events. We can't afford professional gear and therefore looking for DIY.

Program material is top 40 dance music like, Avicii, Calvin Harris, SHM, Jay-Z, Icona Pop etc. So I suppose extension to 40Hz is low enough.
6x8 m large dance floor which take approx 100 dancers. People will be standing right next to the speakers, meaning it should sound good near field.
left and right tops flown above the dance floor
DBX Drive Rack 260 LMS
LAB gruppen 2002 amp

Due to space constraints, I want a mono stack located under one of the tops.

We are not experienced cab builders so construction shouldn't be to hard to build.

What else do you want to know?

I know some sound theory so feel to answer with technical terms. I will get it.

Best regards,
Jan
kick-spill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kick-spill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 5:18pm
2 b&c 15" loaded with pd154 or pd156 or fane XB15"

http://www.bcspeakers.com/suggested.php?id=0000000007 

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?browsemode=category&category=Speaker_Components&masthead=Loudspeaker_Drivers&subheadnew=15_Inch_Drivers

handles, back speaker input etc can all be bought from there too.

nice and easy 

dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 5:18pm
I'd take a look at a G sub design - Reflex so will sound good up close and plenty of people have very good results with them. What are the tops?
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 5:20pm
I think a couple of G-Subs would be perfect for you. Drivers shouldn´t be difficult - P-Audio, RCF, Fane, Eminence, or even the Thomann Box thing if you´re on a budget. Smile

EDIT: Ooops - beaten too it... Confused

Edited by Earplug - 08 November 2012 at 5:21pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 5:56pm
Tham15 would be perfect.
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
+/-3dB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote +/-3dB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

I'd take a look at a G sub design - Reflex so will sound good up close and plenty of people have very good results with them. What are the tops?

I've thought about G subs myself and I'm glad you confirm that it is a good design.

The tops are a pair of active Yamaha speakers which sound horrible. That would be our next project after the bass cabs been built and installed. I have a pair of Turbosound TMS-1 in the lock up which should do a better job.

+/-3dB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote +/-3dB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

Tham15 would be perfect.

Will THAM15 do better in the upper bass than G-sub? The TMS-1 goes down to 90 Hz according to spec, but I doubt that 10" gives much energy down there. Perhaps I should cross somewhere at 120Hz.

How do 2 x THAM15 compare in SPL against 1 x G sub PD186 loaded?
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by +/-3dB +/-3dB wrote:

Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

Tham15 would be perfect.

Will THAM15 do better in the upper bass than G-sub? The TMS-1 goes down to 90 Hz according to spec, but I doubt that 10" gives much energy down there. Perhaps I should cross somewhere at 120Hz.

How do 2 x THAM15 compare in SPL against 1 x G sub PD186 loaded?

The Tham15 is usable up to 140-150hz and 2 x  Tham15's would easily outperform a typical twin 18" and sound way more dynamic.

Tony
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 9:37pm
plus 1 on the Tham15.....
djsam3000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djsam3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2012 at 8:34am
No intention to hijack, but I was going to build B&C Sub18s, 2 a side. Same as OP your commercial dance, chart music. Would 2x THAM15s a side be better than 2 Sub18s in terms of:
Output
Weight
Footprint
How low they drop.
Number of sheets of ply
Ease of build

Opinions appreciated as I haven't heard either but I always figured you can't go wrong with an 18" reflex sub

+/-3dB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote +/-3dB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2012 at 8:53am
Originally posted by djsam3000 djsam3000 wrote:

No intention to hijack, but I was going to build B&C Sub18s, 2 a side. Same as OP your commercial dance, chart music. Would 2x THAM15s a side be better than 2 Sub18s in terms of:
Output
Weight
Footprint
How low they drop.
Number of sheets of ply
Ease of build

Opinions appreciated as I haven't heard either but I always figured you can't go wrong with an 18" reflex sub

Answers some of your questions
http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/index.php?entry=entry090721-180410
http://forum.speakerplans.com/tham-15-plans-and-sims-help-please_topic65541.html

Edited by +/-3dB - 09 November 2012 at 8:56am
djsam3000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djsam3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2012 at 10:05am
Thanks for that
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>