Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wow - Been maxing out my Q6600, Which C2Q Next?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wow - Been maxing out my Q6600, Which C2Q Next?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 2:31pm
In a fashion

I've heard 5 years give or take - by the time it's due for replacing, much larger and cheaper ones will be available for the money 

Of course it all depends on what you are doing with the PC, but for general light use for a limited amount of hours per day, you'd be safe

Wouldn't recommend one in a SQL server that's turned on 24 hours a day with multiple users connected to it.........but I don't think that's what you're doing Tongue

The other thing to consider (but also not to worry about) is the fact you'll be running a SATA2 motherboard - Limited to about 285MBs transfer rate

To get the best out of an SSD (well a new fast one at any rate) you need SATA3 

I'm running one in my 3 year old core i7 PC that's on SATA2 quite happily 

Check the write speeds also, some have mega fast read, but not so impressive write
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 2:32pm
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/notscripts/odjhifogjcknibkahlpidmdajjpkkcfn

?
TENSiON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TENSiON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Just read Waterfox is packed with all kinds of adware/crapware.. Ermm

Sorry, but have to call BS on that one.

The last bit of what could by a very loooong stretch be called "adware" was dropped allready around V12 (now V16), and even that was just a bundled anti-virus plugin by AVAST, which could be unchecked durring install. But even that is history now.. The latest versions are clean as it gets, tho it's still a good idea to carefully check every bit of available options the installer is offering, as like with any other software it's of course not guaranteed that something might get included (but still optional!) in the future.

SSDs are great for their speed and access times, but it won't help with CPU spikes. Unless your current HDD is faulty and is the primary cause of the spikes in the first place.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by TENSiON TENSiON wrote:

SSDs are great for their speed and access times, but it won't help with CPU spikes. Unless your current HDD is faulty and is the primary cause of the spikes in the first place.

After closer investigation, for the main part, seems spikes were due to dormant FF/FB tab, on FB game, for few hours. How inconsiderate of me.

Would say 90% of the issue, is which browser I use with FB.

This hogged CPU/net bandwidth, and affected other apps running.

FF being hefty and leaky is definite issue.

Anyone else experiencing increase in number of Flash crashes !?
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
TENSiON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TENSiON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 5:54pm
FB and its relatives clogging up the browser with wasteful JS garbage?! Shocked

How..."surprising" LOL

"A bunch of 10yo kids let loose after a 6 hours long PHP-for-dummies turbo course + 3 hours of the same for JS" - Yea, I'm talking about FB "developers" in the first 2 years of its existence Wacko They might have learned something over the past years, but it's still pretty much a catastrophy at times..

It is true that FF has a history for clunky JS/memory handling (mostly the garbage/cycle collection engine), but in this case I would rather put the blame on the FB/game developers, especially their optimization skillz..

Try the Waterfox allready and see if it makes any difference.. There really is no adware/bloatwave inside (heck, it's opensource), and you can allways uninstall it in case it doesn't cut the mustard..

Also make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player installed, especially if you experience crashes of the flash plugin. And install it AFTER installing the browser, not before.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 6:20pm
I'd drop FB and keep Firefox. I know what's more useful.

Or use noscript and/or a greasemonkey script to keep nuisance JS to a minimum.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

I'd drop FB and keep Firefox. I know what's more useful.

Or use noscript and/or a greasemonkey script to keep nuisance JS to a minimum.

Had discovered this while back, and clean forgot to never pollute FF with FB games.

Originally posted by TENSiON TENSiON wrote:

Try the Waterfox allready and see if it makes any difference.. There really is no adware/bloatwave inside (heck, it's opensource), and you can allways uninstall it in case it doesn't cut the mustard..

Also make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player installed, especially if you experience crashes of the flash plugin. And install it AFTER installing the browser, not before.

Trying WF now, only major issue discovered so far is problems accessing QuakeLive.

Edited by levyte357- - 15 November 2012 at 6:23pm
Djdarch View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djdarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 10:47pm
Drop me a line Levyte i have a qx9650 id sell , its a proper beast . I also have a dell xps 730 with a qx9770 which is the beast of beasts thats packin an ssd and 2tb storage up for grabs for not a lot if you wanted something complete....
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Sinai Sound Sinai Sound wrote:

In a fashion

I've heard 5 years give or take - by the time it's due for replacing, much larger and cheaper ones will be available for the money 

Of course it all depends on what you are doing with the PC, but for general light use for a limited amount of hours per day, you'd be safe

Wouldn't recommend one in a SQL server that's turned on 24 hours a day with multiple users connected to it.........but I don't think that's what you're doing Tongue

The other thing to consider (but also not to worry about) is the fact you'll be running a SATA2 motherboard - Limited to about 285MBs transfer rate

To get the best out of an SSD (well a new fast one at any rate) you need SATA3 

I'm running one in my 3 year old core i7 PC that's on SATA2 quite happily 

Check the write speeds also, some have mega fast read, but not so impressive write

There are several datacentres running on SSDs without issue, and the write limit is insanely high for the average user.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2012 at 7:13am
wow!! this thread exploded a little didnt it? lol

...as i said to many people in the past and very early on in this thread, just listen to the subtle advice i give and all will be well.

" ... convert over to an SSD boot drive wen you can"

simple and effective. i dont give advice on computers that i havent vigorously tested myself. theres loads of "info" in the 'net about the pros and cons of many different upgrades, downgrades and sideways-grades.... all my advice is from years of cutting out the crap and hype and road testing the stuff that works.

i have 1 flagship rig (the wifes), the video/game rig (mine) and my daughters laptop. none of them crash and my daughters laptop rarely stutters. (now starting to sound like a sales pitch...) but if you just adhear to the simple advice in life sh1t very rarely goes wrong

NOW GO OUT AND BUY A SODDING SSD BOOT DRIVE!!!!!

thanks for listening  
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2012 at 9:46am
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

i have 1 flagship rig (the wifes), the video/game rig (mine) and my daughters laptop. none of them crash and my daughters laptop rarely stutters. (now starting to sound like a sales pitch...) but if you just adhear to the simple advice in life sh1t very rarely goes wrong

NOW GO OUT AND BUY A SODDING SSD BOOT DRIVE!!!!!

thanks for listening  

LOL

'Sodding SSD.

Must be a new manufacturer, never heard of them. LOL

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2012 at 9:57am
While we're here, talking about moving Win 7x64 to a new SSD Disk, what are the best free/paid for disk utilities to do this?

And I mean industrial grade that always works, like Partition Manager 8 for XP.

I really miss that on Win 7. Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>