Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wow - Been maxing out my Q6600, Which C2Q Next?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wow - Been maxing out my Q6600, Which C2Q Next?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wow - Been maxing out my Q6600, Which C2Q Next?
    Posted: 15 November 2012 at 2:32am
Win 7x64, 16gb 1066 DDR3, 1TB main drive, El cheapo 250gb swap drive.

With FF (5x tabs), Chrome (5x tabs), Outlook, Windows Live Mail, Excel, Adobe, running, every now and then, unacceptable 1/2 a second pause, and all 4x cpu performance meters reaching 80-90%. Shocked.

Not ready for Core I5 21xx yet, is Q9xxx chip worth considering ?
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 6:50am
theres not as much in it as people or test make out... overclock the Q66 and water cool it for now...

my 6320 is over clocked to 2.4G and runs 4gig on Win7-64 on a 128SSD.. quick as fcuk.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 6:51am
..or the Q8300-8400... and overclock that even... thas whats in my wifes (yes she gets the good stuff)
TENSiON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TENSiON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 6:52am
Deffo not your CPU that is at fault. Well, at least not if it isn't overheating (better check the temps, should be well bellow 60deg). The fan (or the heatsink itself) could be clogged up.

On another note, if it is mostly the browsers where you notice the pauses, then the cause might be javascript related processing in FF/Chrome. It's strange that it would happen with only so few tabs open, but still a possibility. The JS garbage collector & memory cycle collector are quite shite (especially in FF) and can cause such spikes in some situations.

As a general advice, make sure to restart the browsers at least once a day, and allways keep them up to date (new versions tend to include performance/memory fixes). And seeing that you are running a 64bit OS, I would also advice to replace Firefox with its younger 64bit brother, Waterfox (google it). It is still firefox, but compiled for 64bit, and apart from that also includes various performance improovements.

And if it's not the browsers, then use the task manager to find the culprit:
CTRL+ALT+DEL -> Start Task Manager -> Processes -> CPU
and check what process is eating the most CPU durring those spikes.

But the bottom like still is, that your CPU should handle all those things you've listed without much trouble.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 7:00am
personallyi thought he was asking about upgrade path as appose to "fixing" the pauses....

but yes nothing a declutter and hoovering out wont solve.

..and do convert over to a SSD boot drive wen you can. it makes a huge difference. mine, my wifes and my 6 year olds laptop all running SSD's and it makes my life easier wen my girls dont complain about sluggish computers.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by TENSiON TENSiON wrote:

On another note, if it is mostly the browsers where you notice the pauses, then the cause might be javascript related processing in FF/Chrome.

Agreed...

I broke my golden rule of "NEVER"  opening FB games in FF, and that was a major culprit.. Dead

Will take a look at Waterfox x64.

Built this machine approx 18 months ago, and only 2x Windows crashes I've had, were due to beta installs of FF x64.. Dead
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 12:44pm
Just read Waterfox is packed with all kinds of adware/crapware.. Ermm

Any of  you guys tried PaleMoon?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 1:01pm
Just get an SSD. A three year old machine with an SSD will urinate all over your beast of a desktop from great height in general computing.

Oh and ditch buggy, slow, leaky Firefox already.

Edited by toastyghost - 15 November 2012 at 1:01pm
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 1:11pm
The problem you'll have is that any "better" C2Q will cost about the same as a better i5 chip

I used to have a QX9650 years ago and that clocked like a beast, 4.4Ghz on water or something daft, but 

If I was in your position I'd buy an SSD

Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 1:12pm
Chrome?

Sacked off firefox a while ago now
grazzeee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grazzeee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 1:27pm
restart your pc in safe mode, browse around in chrome as you do... if you still get the laggy pauses then you know its hard ware related. other wise try a fresh install of windows xp. you might have downloaded or navigated to a site that has installed some thing running in the back ground. 

your specs should not be giving you lag as you described. 

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 1:39pm
Haven't dumped FF yet, due to Chrome not supporting Noscript.

128gB SSD for the SYSTEM partition may be the way forward..

Does SSD still have usage life limited by number of writes ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>