Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Abstract Clubscan DMX fault **Fixed**

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abstract Clubscan DMX fault **Fixed**
    Posted: 19 November 2012 at 9:15pm
Ive gained a couple of dmx faults on these lights that i need some help with.

A couple of units generate their own lightshow sound to light and can recieve dmx fine. but refuse to send a signal to another unit. Does the scan board have a tranceiver type chip that could be faulty?

Ill post a pic of the board if that would help.

Ta

Edited by chris_k - 26 November 2012 at 8:42pm
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 10:05pm
Get in touch with Tim @ Sabre technology http://www.sabretechnology.co.uk/technical.htm
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 10:52pm
I'll follow this closely, I have one unit that does this intermitantly. Obviously a common problem with them
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
chris_k View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by James Tengo James Tengo wrote:

Get in touch with Tim @ Sabre technology http://www.sabretechnology.co.uk/technical.htm

Cheers James, Ive posted on BlueRoom where Tim sometimes posts. Ill contact him direct if i get no joy.
chris_k View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2012 at 8:18pm
Response from Tim @ Sabre electronics who developed the Clubscan PCB

"The DMX chip is a DS8921N available from RS or Farnell. It has separate transmit and receive so if damaged it is possible for a unit to receive but not transmit or vice versa. It's U2 just behind the dip switches on the board"
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2012 at 8:32pm
Cheers for passing on the info Chris, top man Beer
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
chris_k View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 8:57pm
For a couple of people that messaged me, here is the fix i found for the DMX fault.
One of the lights needed a new DMX chip as mentioned earlier on in the thread the other one had a faulty relay.
The relay on the scan board allows the dmx signal to be passed to the next fixture if the light is off. This isnt needed in most situations so can be bypassed / removed.
I found it easier to remove the relay and solder fly leads in the solder holes.
The red lines show where the fly leads need to go. Once you have soldered the leads you need to make sure there is continuity from the dmx socket (bottom oval) along the tracks + components to  the dmx chip legs (top oval).

Hope this helps.

Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 11:35pm
Thanks Chris, big help Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply